Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

important hydraulic roller cam/ spring breakin info!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default important hydraulic roller cam/ spring breakin info!!!

I have been told many many different ways to "break " in your new cam and springs and what my research has found is that's its all B.S there is no such thing as heat treating no reason to uninstall the inner spring and re install ( on duel springs) as a matter of fact the only thing you have to do is get the car to running temp 160-180 and rev away...
Called Texas speed very nice company great customer service will be doing business again but they told me to heat cycle no such thing.. comp cams told me to remove inner spring no need for that so I got the number for the manufacturer of comp cams and they gave me the low down dont believe me call your self the tech guys for comp cams will gladly give you the number... Now no more worries about how break in hydraulic roller cams
Old 02-28-2013, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know about the cam but you should be putting the springs through a couple heat cycles for sure
Old 02-28-2013, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by outkast6991
I don't know about the cam but you should be putting the springs through a couple heat cycles for sure

Hydraulic roller cams don't really have any actual break in. Just lots of lube till the oil pressure gets there. As far as Valve springs im with outkast on this one. Im not 100% sure if there is an actual heat cycle period for the metal or not but i do now that if you get on it hard right away on cold *** heavy duty valve springs you run the likelihood of breaking one
Old 02-28-2013, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
Hydraulic roller cams don't really have any actual break in. Just lots of lube till the oil pressure gets there. As far as Valve springs im with outkast on this one. Im not 100% sure if there is an actual heat cycle period for the metal or not but i do now that if you get on it hard right away on cold *** heavy duty valve springs you run the likelihood of breaking one
yes soak I'm gooood amount of oil before install and I did state to let car get to running temp before rev .. good feed back though man..
Old 02-28-2013, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on springs, I had always let mine go througha few easy driving trips with warm up and cool down periods a few times before I romped on it any.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:42 AM

[QUOTE=outkast6991;17188521]I don't know about the cam but you should be putting the springs through a couple heat cycles for sure[/QUOTE

I asked the manufacture about heat cycle he said there's no such thing the springs are heat treated on the process of making them but you must brng them to running temperature before you rev the motor
Old 02-28-2013, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

comp is such a half *** comapny. if they arent busy making bad cams or springs, they contradict what their last tech guy says
Old 02-28-2013, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Your engine doesnt get hot enough to "Heat treat" anything and there is no controlled cool down. When I first started up my engine, the cam and springs were the least of my worries. As long as its lubricated, you shouldnt have any issues. Its the flat tappet lifters that can ruin your day in a hurry if not broken in right.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
Your engine doesnt get hot enough to "Heat treat" anything and there is no controlled cool down. When I first started up my engine, the cam and springs were the least of my worries. As long as its lubricated, you shouldnt have any issues. Its the flat tappet lifters that can ruin your day in a hurry if not broken in right.
Yes the motor does not heat up nor cool down fast enough to "treat" anything its a very long cool down on a regular sunny day. And your right the flat tappet ones are a nightmare if not broken in properly but hey what ever makes you sleep at night but I say lube them up let the car warm up and go to town

Quick Reply: important hydraulic roller cam/ spring breakin info!!!