Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

^ Correct.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
No, no I haven't. Then again my cars not *race car*

It's daily driven.

You're still rocking the small bore PRC LS7's? I see you're swapping manifolds...
Yep, great heads. Searching for some more power with the hi-ram. Should have #s next friday, after its tuned at vengeance. Would like to see 620-630 rwhp.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 96lt4c4

If Comp made some Ultra Pro Mags in 1.7 ratio like they do for the SBC's thats what I would go with, but they do not make them.

From what i have heard through the grape vine they are working on it...
Old 03-22-2013, 08:05 PM
10 Second Club

they'd sell boatloads
Old 03-22-2013, 08:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a direct quote from Richard at WCCH himself that I got in an email earlier tonight.

"Those people who say that the bushings are a step back obviously don't understand the loads imparted on the lower portion of the trunion. Needle and roller bearings work best when rotating a complete 360º. They do not do so well with limited ranges of movement. The bushings offer far more load bearing surface than the needle bearings which is the primary reason why they are more reliable. Old school? Yep! But it still works today. We have never had a single CHE rocker arm failure for any reason. That's the main reason why we sell them. Spintron testing has proven the CHE arms to be more stable at high engine speeds whena compared to oem and other aftermarket shaft rocker setups."

Sending my rockers out ASAP!!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:00 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Interesting...
Old 03-22-2013, 11:15 PM
10 Second Club

Just echoes what I said, the bushing is literally 2.5 times the width of the trunion bearing any frictional losses are more then made up for with the stability.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Talked to Richard about this. He has the bushing installed in used cores for $520. It's $642.72 in new rockers. Heinously expensive for what it is.

With that said, he said he's been selling a lot of the CHE rockers because of Comp Trunion failures the last few weeks. Same goes for Yella Terra rockers breaking. Don't know if it was the latest revision, but that makes me leery as hell of running an aluminum rocker in any kind of street engine. At this point, I'd be inclined to either run stock new rockers or the CHE...
Old 04-10-2013, 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still just think the price for the CHE bushings is nuts. I'm sure his profit margin is insane!! Also, it's still a step backwards, I don't care what he says, he's trying to sell his product afterall. 8 tracks still work today too.

If there was no benefit to the bearings there is no way GM would have spent the $$ to design and go with the bearings in 97. If it was proven to be so bad they would have went back to the bushing setup. And if the bushing setup was so great more aftermarket companies would be offering them.

All that said, I'm sure they are more stable than the comp or stock but for that money I would put it toward a quality set of aftermarket rollers, not toward bushings.

To each is own though, I hope it works out for whoever gets them!
Old 04-10-2013, 11:43 AM
10 Second Club

The benefit to the bearings is they are cheap and work fine in a stock setup with baby valve springs.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpower_454
I still just think the price for the CHE bushings is nuts. I'm sure his profit margin is insane!! Also, it's still a step backwards, I don't care what he says, he's trying to sell his product afterall. 8 tracks still work today too.

If there was no benefit to the bearings there is no way GM would have spent the $$ to design and go with the bearings in 97. If it was proven to be so bad they would have went back to the bushing setup. And if the bushing setup was so great more aftermarket companies would be offering them.

All that said, I'm sure they are more stable than the comp or stock but for that money I would put it toward a quality set of aftermarket rollers, not toward bushings.

To each is own though, I hope it works out for whoever gets them!
I mean we are talking about GM though...and it's not like the engineers get 100% their way. In mass production, the final product is always some compromised version of the original to lower production costs / improve profitability. There are significantly more surfaces that require a precision finish in the bushing set up...8 per arm that I can think of. 128 per engine. Add up all that additional machining time for a skilled union laborer making $40/hr and the costs sky-rocket. Contrast that with bearings you could pull off the shelf from another manufacturer and assemble in seconds. If they didn't think torque plate cylinder honing was necessary from the factory, they're not going to take the time to cut and hone to size the bushings on rocker arms.

There are better solutions, but you have to ask yourself the same question they did during the design process: are the performance gains worth the costs associated with it? For a mass produced engine, their answer was probably no.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Didn't Jesel used to offer the SS rockers for like $500 back 10 years ago. I went to their site to look for them and they don't make them anymore. WTF!
Old 04-10-2013, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.uni.edu/~rao/Md-20%20Ball...20bearings.pdf

Interesting reading on different types of bearings. Look at slide #11. Basically failure curve for bearings. See the left side? That's infant mortality.

So, I say, get the comp cams upgrade, monitor them for a short period, and if they run okay, just forget them. People puke stock needle bearings all the time, for the most part, I have not heard of any damage being done to the engine.

Quick Reply: Are Comp Cams Trunions Worth it?