Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno results a little disapointing

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Depends on what dyno being used. But those numbers dont throw up any red flags for the car, mods and info given.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dyno numbers are over rated unless you are driving a Honda take that thing to the track and see what it does. I've only had my ls1 and been on this forum for a week but it seems like some people get overly concerned with their peak hp numbers pay closer attention to what gains your making under the power curve besides those headers aren't going to shine until you have a cam that compliments them. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6
i run the powerbond (SFI) 25% underdrive crank pulley with ARP crank bolt. no problems with it.

but im still up in the air as to if they really add any power.
Me too. Still not convinced that a ud pulley or tb adds much.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
You need your own code reader!!!
You might as well buy a cheap acron code reader dude. You will most likely be needing one as you mod your car
Why do we need a code reader when you pay all that money to get a tune? Isnt a tune suppose to get rid of the codes? I know when I got my car tuned my tuner got rid of my codes.

No offense but 320's rwhp with those mods then to me there seems to be something not right. With those mods I would excpect at least 335rwhp as a M6 car with those mods would be in the 350 or higher range after a tune. My M6 with a Catback and lid made 330rwhp without a tune. Thats a lot of money to drop on your car for those little gains.

What was your Air Fuel ratio at?

Hell my 98 Corvette which is a Auto has a LS6 intake and a Vararam Ram air induction and it made 323rwhp with no tune on a dynojet!
Old 03-24-2013, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1998silverbird
Why do we need a code reader when you pay all that money to get a tune? Isnt a tune suppose to get rid of the codes? I know when I got my car tuned my tuner got rid of my codes.

No offense but 320's rwhp with those mods then to me there seems to be something not right. With those mods I would excpect at least 335rwhp as a M6 car with those mods would be in the 350 or higher range after a tune. My M6 with a Catback and lid made 330rwhp without a tune. Thats a lot of money to drop on your car for those little gains.

Hell my 98 Corvette which is a Auto has a LS6 intake and a Vararam Ram air induction and it made 323rwhp with no tune on a dynojet!
just bc you get a tune doesnt mean you wont get codes later

hes making 327rwhp not 320. and thats 327rwhp thru a 2400 stalled auto

you can dyno 3 of the same cars with the same mods on the same dyno the same day and get 3 diff numbers, hell you can dyno the same car 3 times and get 3 diff numbers.

at the most if you take a avg of what people are saying hes missing is 10rwhp. but thats only to the people that think the numbers are low

if i had a stock ls1 with 160k miles. with stall and full exhuast and made close to 330rwhp i would be happy. that is if that the tune is right.

i have dynoed on a stang dyno and then 2 dynojets and there was 1rwhp diff between the stang and jet. YET people say the stang dynos eat up power. not saying they dont but either the stang was lose or the jet was tight (lol) there are to many factors to take into count
Old 03-24-2013, 03:20 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The code reader is a great tool. I got mine at Autozone on clearence for 48 bucks. It's the size of my iPhone.

It doesn't give me the description, but it gives me the letter and 4 digit code, with the ability to delete it, and that's all I need. Google is simply a quick game of pocket-pool away.

The tune tunes stuff out, yes, but who's to say an O2 sensor won't **** the bed, or a TPS, IAT, IAC, cam sensor, crank sensor... You need to know, and pronto.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6
just bc you get a tune doesnt mean you wont get codes later

hes making 327rwhp not 320. and thats 327rwhp thru a 2400 stalled auto

you can dyno 3 of the same cars with the same mods on the same dyno the same day and get 3 diff numbers, hell you can dyno the same car 3 times and get 3 diff numbers.

at the most if you take a avg of what people are saying hes missing is 10rwhp. but thats only to the people that think the numbers are low

if i had a stock ls1 with 160k miles. with stall and full exhuast and made close to 330rwhp i would be happy. that is if that the tune is right.

i have dynoed on a stang dyno and then 2 dynojets and there was 1rwhp diff between the stang and jet. YET people say the stang dynos eat up power. not saying they dont but either the stang was lose or the jet was tight (lol) there are to many factors to take into count

Getting codes later VS getting codes the same day or next day is a little different. I dont have a code reader and I have 3 LS powered cars. I have never had a code reader. If there is a problem I go to autozone or back to my tuner and get it checked out.

Did the tuner take time with this guys car or did they just load an already saved tune for a A4 with simalar mods? I like the tuners that build a tune from scratch and spend 1-2 hrs on your car to get it running the best. Every car is different but a 2002 LS1 car with 1 7/8 headers, Full exhaust, Lid, should make more then 327 rwhp. my 98 Vette made 299rwhp and then after the LS6 intake it made 323rwhp. Both with stock tunes and through an auto!

I dynoed my T/A with the 383 in it on a Dyno com and it made 499rwhp, on a Mustang Dyno and it made 404rwhp and on a Dynojet and it made 448rwhp. That was all with the LS6 intake on it. What I look for in a Dyno is consistancy. I made 3 pulls on the Dynocom and it was 499, 492,485. on the Mustang it was 404,393,385 and on the Dynojet I use currantly it was 442, 445,448. Is that the exact power I am making? IDK. What I do know is that its consistant. I know it will be within 3-4 hp of each pull on the dynojet.

Stock This 02 Camaro made probably Around 300rwhp. Stock my 98 Vette made around 300rwhp. From my experiance with LS1's and owning them for 8 years now I have never seen a Stock Auto 98 LS1 car dyno the same or close to the same as a stock Auto 02 Car especially when its a F-body vs C5 unless there was something wrong. Hell my buddy just dynoed his Z28 on RPM's dyno and with a bad Fuel pump he still made 335 with pretty much the same bolt ons only through a M6.

Last edited by 1998silverbird; 03-24-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Shiftslow
Dyno numbers are over rated unless you are driving a Honda take that thing to the track and see what it does. I've only had my ls1 and been on this forum for a week but it seems like some people get overly concerned with their peak hp numbers pay closer attention to what gains your making under the power curve besides those headers aren't going to shine until you have a cam that compliments them. Just my 2 cents.
Oh you're so right...There about 4 things that ALWAYS come up.

People get too hung up on dyno #. Nothing is more embarrassing than saying you have XXX hp to the tires and can't back it up on the strip. A car with basically no significant mods such as the OPs, 325ish is about normal and a little on the high side IMHO. Being a 2002, how many miles? How healthy is the engine?

Dynos are for tuning! Performance is something to brag about.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
FWIW,

My old 2002 Z28 auto with slp lid, ls6 intake, ported TB, pacesetter long tubes, ory, magnaflow catback, 2.73 made 322rwhp/333tq..
Was that without a tune?

I made 330rwhp on a dynojet with a catback and lid on my 02 M6 with no tune. I added Mac Mid length headers and catted Y-pipe and I made 340rwhp with no tune.

I use the Dyno for Tuning and also just seeing were my car is at power wise. I dont go to the track as much as I did in the past because I get sick of breaking crap. Dyno's are a lot easier on the car in my opinion. I drive my cars everywere. It doesnt matter if your car run's 11's or makes 450rwhp on the street in everyday life what does it matter?

I have my cars because I enjoy them as I dont get dissapointed by them anymore. As long as they make the power in the middle of the usual power range and that they trap the mph that they should with the power that is being put down. No matter what any of us tell you its your car. If you are dissapointed and it doesnt make the power you want it to make then there is a good chance with H/C/I it wont make the power you want either! With my old firebird I would go into dyno's excpecting the highest numbers and always be dissapointed. Now I excpect to see the lowest in a power range and am always happy with the results. I was hoping for 300hp in my vette but was expecting to see 290. I saw 300 and I was pleased. after the LS6 intake I was hoping for 310hp and got 323. I did my research and saw that a stock 98 C5 usually dynoes 285-310hp range and I was shooting for 290. I got 299. When I was younger I would have shot for 310 and been dissapointed!

Last edited by 1998silverbird; 03-24-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Was that without a tune?

I made 330rwhp on a dynojet with a catback and lid on my 02 M6 with no tune. I added Mac Mid length headers and catted Y-pipe and I made 340rwhp with no tune.
Like mentioned hundreds of times before...consider that dyno numbers can vary greatly! Type/brand of Dyno, environmental factors, altitude, transmission, rearend etc...etc...You can't really compare dyno #s
Old 03-24-2013, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
Like mentioned hundreds of times before...consider that dyno numbers can vary greatly! Type/brand of Dyno, environmental factors, altitude, transmission, rearend etc...etc...You can't really compare dyno #s
And in the same breathe you cant compare track times either!

The thread starter dynoed @ RPM which I live 30 miles from. Its the same area! I dynoed my Vette in Janurary in 40 degree weather and its been in the 40's pretty much this whole month here in SNJ-DEL. RPM has a Dynojet and the shop I use has a Dynojet.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, I got the codes:

There are two codes:

1: P0154
2: P0134

They both reference O2 sensor bank 1 and 2.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

The thread starter dynoed @ RPM which I live 30 miles from. Its the same area! I dynoed my Vette in Janurary in 40 degree weather and its been in the 40's pretty much this whole month here in SNJ-DEL. RPM has a Dynojet and the shop I use has a Dynojet.
Yup, you will have different track times too (weight of car, drive-line, drag etc..etc...But for the weight of the car and Hp, you could be close to see. If you have ever driven on the strip before, you will know low differences in HP doesn't equate to a lot of time.

You also have to consider the health of the motor. Your Vette may have better Ring seal, or less restriction in other areas...etc...There are variables.

It will run what it will run...a 350hp Vette will not ET the same as a 350hp (insert car) merely because it has the same power.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

Getting codes later VS getting codes the same day or next day is a little different. I dont have a code reader and I have 3 LS powered cars. I have never had a code reader. If there is a problem I go to autozone or back to my tuner and get it checked out.

Did the tuner take time with this guys car or did they just load an already saved tune for a A4 with simalar mods? I like the tuners that build a tune from scratch and spend 1-2 hrs on your car to get it running the best. Every car is different but a 2002 LS1 car with 1 7/8 headers, Full exhaust, Lid, should make more then 327 rwhp. my 98 Vette made 299rwhp and then after the LS6 intake it made 323rwhp. Both with stock tunes and through an auto!

I dynoed my T/A with the 383 in it on a Dyno com and it made 499rwhp, on a Mustang Dyno and it made 404rwhp and on a Dynojet and it made 448rwhp. That was all with the LS6 intake on it. What I look for in a Dyno is consistancy. I made 3 pulls on the Dynocom and it was 499, 492,485. on the Mustang it was 404,393,385 and on the Dynojet I use currantly it was 442, 445,448. Is that the exact power I am making? IDK. What I do know is that its consistant. I know it will be within 3-4 hp of each pull on the dynojet.

Stock This 02 Camaro made probably Around 300rwhp. Stock my 98 Vette made around 300rwhp. From my experiance with LS1's and owning them for 8 years now I have never seen a Stock Auto 98 LS1 car dyno the same or close to the same as a stock Auto 02 Car especially when its a F-body vs C5 unless there was something wrong. Hell my buddy just dynoed his Z28 on RPM's dyno and with a bad Fuel pump he still made 335 with pretty much the same bolt ons only through a M6.

Well, it's Race Proven Motorsports, and they are supposedly one of the best.

They took their time with the car and dyno'd it numerous times, so I can only imagine they thought the numbers were too low, which is why they keep trying to dial it in?

In any case they did fix the lull in the idle I had when the car idles, the RPM's would drop, and then come back up.

I didn't get the check engine light until the next day. Maybe they forgot to delete the O2 sensors? (see codes above)
Old 03-24-2013, 04:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
Oh you're so right...There about 4 things that ALWAYS come up.

People get too hung up on dyno #. Nothing is more embarrassing than saying you have XXX hp to the tires and can't back it up on the strip. A car with basically no significant mods such as the OPs, 325ish is about normal and a little on the high side IMHO. Being a 2002, how many miles? How healthy is the engine?

Dynos are for tuning! Performance is something to brag about.
He has almost full bolt ons with lt's if anything I would put those on the low side a tad for being an 02 but again take it to the track and see what she traps. A4 ls1 should be 335-340 ish m6 slightly higher imo.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by redbird555
He has almost full bolt ons with lt's if anything I would put those on the low side a tad for being an 02 but again take it to the track and see what she traps. A4 ls1 should be 335-340 ish m6 slightly higher imo.

I was thinking the same as well. It dyno'd at 327. I wonder if I tried a different dyno if I would have different results. RPM said it was exactly where they expected it to be, however.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:37 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Track times are alot more comparable with DA correction accordingly. This platform has been around for more than a decade, its safe to say that we know what it should and shouldn't run at the track. Id be more concerned about track results then dyno #'s. Comparing your results without sharing what correction factor... is a moot argument.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Oh yeah. Why get a code reader for your own car? The tuner will work on your car for its whole life. Just call him up any time you get a code and im sure he will not be busy tuning paying customers cars so he will just fit you in. Who needs to be able to work on their own car these days? As a matter of fact why dont you just have the tuner turn off all codes to never report anything so you will never see any codes even if your car has issues?

Are you kidding me? This dyno# talk is just silly.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:44 PM
10 Second Club

Heres some of my old dyno sheets to compare OP.

My 01 ss with only lid, filter, maf ends and catback. Here is the car on the 1st dynojet. It did 320/322

Heres the same car with same mods on a different dynojet. It did 315/332

Ok so far we have a difference of 5rwhp and 10rwt from the 2 different dynojets.

Last edited by senicalj4579; 03-24-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:11 PM
10 Second Club

Now lets look at my car when it had the mods in the 1st 2 dynos + lts, ory, ssra, and ss3600 stall on a dyno dynamics. It did 337/345.

Heres the same car same mods on a mustang dyno. You have to look at the smaller #s because this sheet is from the latest build. It did 326/334

The difference between those 2 sheets are 11rwhp and 11rwt. I would have to say that you cant go by dyno #s

Quick Reply: Dyno results a little disapointing