Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bent Pushrod??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bent Pushrod??

I just recently installed Hooker LTs. Car hits the rev limiter on 1-2 shift, A4 here. And now its started missin real bad. no certain rpm range, all over the band. Checked all wires and there plugged in tight and new plugs, NGK TR55s. Any other info yall need to help me diagnose the problem let me know.

-will
Old 01-05-2003, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Bent Pushrod??

You know, it's posts like this that just make me sometimes think that I would be better off just to leave the damned car stock and enjoy the ride.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Some folks have had problems with the O2 sensors after a header install. Turns out that the pre-cat O2 sensors are not getting the proper flow of exhaust gasses flowing over them to accuratly make correct readings. Seems that the mounting "bung" that the sensor screws into is not correctly welded into the header collector. Basically, the wrong place. Another problem has been that the ceramic coating on the bung and the threads in the bung don't allow for a good ground connection to the O2 sensor.

Don't know if either of these potential problems is causing you trouble, but it's a posability. It's happened to others.

Good Luck,
Ron
Old 01-05-2003, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

BTW, an A4 car car hitting the rev limiter will not bend pushrods.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Whats the difference between an A4 and M6 hitting the rev limiter? both would be hittin it at WOT. i was thinkin a pushrod rod because it only got real bad today after gettin on it one time and then it started missin real bad.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Neither the A4 or M6 will bend pushrods by simply hitting the rev limiter at WOT.

The M6s bend pushrods by missing the shift and putting the tranny in 2nd instead of 4th at high/speed WOT. That mechaically spins the engine way way past the rev limiter when the clutch comes out. Thats what bends pushrods.... The rev limiter can't do anything about it when someone selects the wrong gear and mechanically overevs the engine.

You now say that this problem of yours just started after making a few high speed/high rpm/WOT blasts a few times. I take it everything was fine prior to that. Sorry, I don't know what you may have done to it.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, it started after a few WOT runs. ill check into the O2s and the bungs.
Old 01-06-2003, 01:55 AM
Restricted User

ggr12, my buddy experienced the same **** at the track during qualifications. Pulled #'s: 1,3,5,7 plugs (cuz there ez) and 3&5, if I rmember right, were gone, as in the ground straps were missing. We thought that was the problem, nope. Replaced with my old factories I had in my tool bag, and still shitty, idle and stuff. Towed to the shop and leakdown tested the cylinders, bent p/r in 3 and 5, intakes. ez to do a check. start with 1,3,5,7 then 2,4,6, and if you can 8, pull the wires one at a time until you find the dead cylinder (yeah, w/ engine running). LD test the dead ones. Sorry to hear it man, but Good-luck.
Old 01-06-2003, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

Well i tried to see what was wrong today just lookin underneath at the O2s and all. But it didnt skip or anything for like the first 5 min after cold startup. i thought it may have been bad gas so i filled up the tank from 1/4 to full with some new 93. wasnt sure if bad gas could cause it to act up. its goin to the shop tommmorow and there gonna do leakdown and all and see whats up.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Quick Reply: Bent Pushrod??