Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head & Cam for Supercharged LS1 - Need Guidance & Adivce

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 05:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head & Cam for Supercharged LS1 - Need Guidance & Adivce

Lately, my TransAm has been sitting in my garage with a bad engine tick.

I found out it was the main bearing and it looks like I caught it in time to not do too much damage.

I finally have the funds to do a decent job fixing it up. I love the sound on a good head/cam combo but I have a BD-11a Supercharger sitting in my garage that should be used as something other than a paper weight. So I thought...why not both?

What I want to do is add some good heads and a cam to run with my supercharger set up, but I do not know where to look.

Any suggestions or advice on what to use or where to go to get some good information?

I know there are those of you out there with some nasty builds, I would like to get over 500rwhp out of this build.

Currently the only real performance mods I have: full length exhaust, and a 4l60e from performabuilt with a 3200-3300 stall.

ALL KNOWLEDGEABLE ADVICE IS WELCOME, PLEASE HELP!
Old 04-20-2013, 06:52 AM
Staging Lane

Depends on how much money you wanna spend really. Want to go a little cheaper a set of lq9 heads would do the job. They're ports as the ls6 head with Dee shaped exhuast ports. You'll get a slight bump in head flow over ls1 heads as well as a decrease in compression as they have 71 cc combustion chambers rather than your 66.6 cc combustion chambers. As for the cam I'd go for something along the lines of Texas speeds 220/220 sleeper cam to be on the subtle side of things. Run that on 8 pounds of boost and you'll be happy. You'd be close to 500 hp. If you have the money just go with some ported heads from Texas speed. You'll definitely be running some nice power then. Throw some Arp rods bolts into that build to be safe.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

Thanks grim. I should have included a price but I'm looking at about 3k in my budget for head and cam overhaul. Will a 220/220 be a good cam for a supercharger / blower motor? I hear when you run boost you have to have a different type of cam, but i dont know what different means..
Old 04-20-2013, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Well a good blower cam will have less overlap. With that said most n/a cams will work fine with low boost levels, but they just won't be optimal
Old 04-20-2013, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

Hci2000ss is right, a blower cam does have reduced overlap (iI'm not sure what overlap the 220 has but probably minimal if at all) and what that means is basically no boost is wasted. When you have overlap your intake valve is open at the same time the exhaust valve is open so you "waste" air the supercharger is pushing in. Although years ago I read bds or some other big name blower company did a test on a big camed blower engine and it made more power than its smaller duration similar cam. In theory the exhaust would cause a scavenging effect on the intake side imroving cylinder fill and help get all burnt fuel and air out. Hope that didn't confuse you.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

224/230 .608/.612 113+3 LSA
Get your stock heads ported by AI
Old 04-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

^ There's an idea for your heads. Idk what they charge for a port job but if you didn't wanna do that you could op for new heads

http://texas-speed.com/p-1174-prc-st...ted-heads.aspx

$1200 and they flow nice, go with the biggest combustion chamber possible to lower your compression so you can run more boost.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I would not "run the biggest combustion chamber you could for more boost". What I would do is shoot for around 9.7:1-10.0:1 compression and run a methanol injection kit and have a very responsive combination that drives well and makes good power outside of full boost. The added octane from the methanol being injected will keep knock and pre-ignition at bay. That along with the proper heat range plug, tune and fueling you have a great all around combination.

I would do as Pred Z said and have the heads CNC ported by Advanced Induction and if you'd like a camshaft go with what Pred Z has specified or if you'd like I can also provide a recommendation.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

Yes please, quality suggestions and information are always welcome to my eyes.

I do have a methonal injection kit that came as an added bonus when i bought my supercharger... i just need to find it.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:03 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm confused, what's a BD-11a supercharger?
Old 04-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

Alchemist, Its a Powerdyne unit. Haven't really heard jack about them either myself. Seems most info is floating around stang forums.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Yes. Powerdyne has gone out of business from what i've gathered. I had it on my 98 Camaro V6, and I am having trouble finding a mounting bracket for it to go onto an LS1

Quick Reply: Head & Cam for Supercharged LS1 - Need Guidance & Adivce