Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with Comp Cams ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 12:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
My point is I am not worried! Never had a issue with comp. Sure bad things happen. Especially in the aftermarket business. I trust in the company I ordered from so if I had a issue thy would help me resolve it.
Inb4 cam whines pulling It all back out wasting gaskets, and time.

The bad part is if this one does whine he probably won't post up here
Old 11-23-2014, 12:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
Inb4 cam whines pulling It all back out wasting gaskets, and time.

The bad part is if this one does whine he probably won't post up here
O if it does you would hear about it. I have installed a bunch of comp cams. Second one in this engine of mine. One spec by Geoff at EPS, this one is from Martin at Tick. Just stating my experience with comp has always been good. Just make sure you clean them before installing. Always seem a tad dirty out of the box. O I have plenty of gaskets
Old 11-23-2014, 02:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously?? I really dont see how there is still a debate on this.
As long as people are willing to reply to this there will be a debate.

There will always b Yes 27 pages of people with bad cams and only comp brand cams must have bad installs.
I never said that. They all can. This thread is about Comp Cams and it is the quality of Comp Cams that is the debate not the others.

Its like people all of sudden lose IQ points when they install a comp cam vs cam motion or bullet grind.
How? I can only speak for myself. With out all the needed information I cant say one way or the other who, and/or what caused the problems. That information is not here.

Also note the bolded part.... If the "bad" cam is too small causing whine then yes it is indeed the cams fault for being made wrong....
Like all engine parts camshafts have tolerances these include bearing tolerances.

And bearing od?
I said ID, not OD.
Originally Posted by ChevyOwner
Maybe the "bad' cam had a slightly smaller OD, and the bearing wear gave then a slightly bigger ID with the resulting clearance causing the whine.
Let me break that down as you seem to have trouble reading it.

Maybe the "bad' cam had a slightly smaller OD
This is referring to the outside diameter of the camshaft, not any bearing.

and the bearing wear gave then a slightly bigger ID
Despite my typos here (then not them) this is referring to the bearings. I see no reference to a bearing OD here, but I'll humor you.

Camshaft bearings have an OD (outside diameter), and and ID. (inside diameter) The camshaft's OD need to be smaller then the bearings ID. The OD of the bearing is determined by the engine in question, and if someone changed something by machine work or other means.

If the camshaft's OD if towards one side of the tolerance range (smaller) and the camshaft bearing's ID are towards the other side (bigger) the tolerances will be looser. The ID of a camshaft bearing will increase slowly with wear. I also said it might be the cause, not that it is the cause. This also follows what I have been saying. We simply don't have the needed information to say for sure one way or the other.

Even if that had merritt (still dont see bad cam bearing whining) a new cam still fixed the issue and performed the same as the oem cam, ie no whine.
While I did use the word bad, I also gave an example of what I meant.

Now that still to me sounds like a comp problem. Its their fault they made the cam too small or whatever.
Comp Cams like all others use the factory specifications for camshafts, and it is not their responsibility to verify that the customer's bearings or what not are still within factory specs. That falls to the installer, even if the installer is the customer.

I swear some people in this thread are getting paid by comp.
I would be saying almost the exact same thing if this thread was about Cam Motion, just replace Comp Cams with Cam Motion.

Can you say that anyone that has had this issue could not have solved it with new cam bearings? I know I cant.

PS
Can anyone say that the problems for at least one person was not caused by damage during shipping? I have seen some really trashed boxes from FEDEX, and UPS. They were packaged fine, but due to an accident during shipping were damaged.

Last edited by ChevyOwner; 11-23-2014 at 03:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-23-2014, 03:05 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

The whining noise was due to surface irregularities on the lobes not any type of bearing problem. There is no mystery to ponder here. The problem has been identified and the solution is known. Read this whole thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...am-change.html
Old 11-23-2014, 03:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by speedtigger
The whining noise was due to surface irregularities on the lobes not any type of bearing problem. There is no mystery to ponder here. The problem has been identified and the solution is known. Read this whole thread:

I have read a lot on the subject just in case I need to know in the future. I also purposely got a cam on the small side for the time being with the intent to replace it later after I have the engine properly broken in. I also have better cylinder heads on the list of future parts. One thing I could have easily failed to catch is the time frame the cams start to whine. It is my understanding that it was instant.

I can say that if I have a problem I would have no issues admitting it.

PS
Unlike most I don't call it wasted money IF I learn something from that money.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:36 PM
TECH Veteran

As long as people are willing to reply to this there will be a debate.

I never said that. They all can. This thread is about Comp Cams and it is the quality of Comp Cams that is the debate not the others.

How? I can only speak for myself. With out all the needed information I cant say one way or the other who, and/or what caused the problems. That information is not here.

Like all engine parts camshafts have tolerances these include bearing tolerances.

I said ID, not OD.

Let me break that down as you seem to have trouble reading it.

This is referring to the outside diameter of the camshaft, not any bearing.

Despite my typos here (then not them) this is referring to the bearings. I see no reference to a bearing OD here, but I'll humor you.

Camshaft bearings have an OD (outside diameter), and and ID. (inside diameter) The camshaft's OD need to be smaller then the bearings ID. The OD of the bearing is determined by the engine in question, and if someone changed something by machine work or other means.

If the camshaft's OD if towards one side of the tolerance range (smaller) and the camshaft bearing's ID are towards the other side (bigger) the tolerances will be looser. The ID of a camshaft bearing will increase slowly with wear. I also said it might be the cause, not that it is the cause. This also follows what I have been saying. We simply don't have the needed information to say for sure one way or the other.

While I did use the word bad, I also gave an example of what I meant.

Comp Cams like all others use the factory specifications for camshafts, and it is not their responsibility to verify that the customer's bearings or what not are still within factory specs. That falls to the installer, even if the installer is the customer.

I would be saying almost the exact same thing if this thread was about Cam Motion, just replace Comp Cams with Cam Motion.

Can you say that anyone that has had this issue could not have solved it with new cam bearings? I know I cant.

PS
Can anyone say that the problems for at least one person was not caused by damage during shipping? I have seen some really trashed boxes from FEDEX, and UPS. They were packaged fine, but due to an accident during shipping were damaged.
Gotta be honest. I didnt even read this as it was so hard to read being broken up. Anyway I still stand by what I said its not a bearing problem, its the lobes.

Case in point here. The bad part is that as long as theres people on here saying its not comps fault and continuing to buy from them anyway comp really doesnt have a huge incentive to fix the problem
Old 11-23-2014, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Case in point here. The bad part is that as long as theres people on here saying its not comps fault and continuing to buy from them anyway comp really doesnt have a huge incentive to fix the problem
I never said it was not Comp Cams fault. Anyone can and will eventually find a problem with any company if they use enough of that company's products. This is just far easier to happen the more of whatever it is that company makes.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:16 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The volume thing doesn't hold any weight
If they had a problem and 500 out of a million cams were bad, would it not be the right thing to warranty the bad product?
As big as comp is I would think they would value their reputation more than the few hundred dollars they made on that cam.
I spoke with comp multiple times the last time my car was apart for a bad cam. They flat out told me if I send them the cam they would test it and regardless of what caused the damage they wouldn't not stand behind their product and would blame it on oil change interval, incorrect valve train setup, or install error and I would be out the cost of shipping with nothing gained
Old 11-23-2014, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

How does the volume thing not hold any weight. It's pure mathematics that there is going to be a higher number of failure the more product you produce. No company is 100% perfect. I don't care what product you're producing.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:36 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't matter how many cams are perfect to the people that got bad ones
Has anyone had a cam motion cam fail in the last 5 years? Even one?
For a company as big as they are, you'd think quality control would be paramount. And after the fact you would think they would stand by their product, warranty the bad cam, and hopefully change the minds of people like myself that have had a terrible product and terrible customer support.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:43 PM
Old School Heavy

Anyone's product can fail. It is how often it does and how you handle it when it does that matters.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:29 PM
Launching!

I have not had to call Comp Cams, and I hope I never do, but from experiences with other company's customer support it will also depend on who you talk to, and how you deal with it as to the quality of support you get. No support should not be this way, but it is.

I'll use DirectTV as an example here. Back when I had DirecTV (with no contract) I would only need to call about once a year if I asked for the cancellation department first, and asked to cancel when they asked why I was going to leave. I would tell them. They would try and get me to stay, and the mojority of the time they would offer what I mentioned to keep me there. I would act like I was reluctantly accepting. The first time they did not I cancelled, because they only reason I was staying was because they put in the effort to keep me there. If I had not asked for the cancellation department unlike my friend they would have put in 0 effort into keeping me there. I don't know how that would work today however.

Same thing with computer parts where you need to call for an RMA, If you know what your are doing, act like it, and stand up for your self you will get better support. If you don't know, act like it, and don't stand up for yourself they will almost never do anything.

Last edited by ChevyOwner; 11-23-2014 at 07:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-23-2014, 08:26 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I love my DirecTV...

Anyway, my HellRaiser from Ed was a Comp. Looked perfect on install, and ran like a dream the whole time I had the car. Quiet, and plenty of power. I actually LOVED that cam shaft.

I myself would simply be reluctant to run another in the *NEAR* future until these threads go away. That's all I'm saying.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

so i ordered the 228r from texas speed and it is a comp cam. I am in the middle of swap right now and am about to be putting it in until i saw this thread that scares me a bit. am i supposed to continue or...
Old 11-23-2014, 11:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
How does the volume thing not hold any weight. It's pure mathematics that there is going to be a higher number of failure the more product you produce. No company is 100% perfect. I don't care what product you're producing.
It doesnt hold weight because theyre the only company that has problems....I gave links to where cam motion had a similar problem and people heard about it yet they were producing much smaller volume.
Originally Posted by mkvamso
It doesn't matter how many cams are perfect to the people that got bad ones
Has anyone had a cam motion cam fail in the last 5 years? Even one?
For a company as big as they are, you'd think quality control would be paramount. And after the fact you would think they would stand by their product, warranty the bad cam, and hopefully change the minds of people like myself that have had a terrible product and terrible customer support.
Someone understands
Old 11-24-2014, 07:38 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by lsmaxxed
so i ordered the 228r from texas speed and it is a comp cam. I am in the middle of swap right now and am about to be putting it in until i saw this thread that scares me a bit. am i supposed to continue or...
Yes install it. You won't know until you try it. Have faith!
Old 11-24-2014, 08:25 AM
Old School Heavy

I have had two cams from Comp Cams. Neither had "the whine". However, I choose Cam Motion now. The reasons are: Better steel (8620), any duration and lift combo I can dream up, he finish polishes all his cam to guarantee no whine, he gives you a Cam Doctor printout to make sure the cam is accurately ground, and I can tell you his customer service if far far better.

Who wants to find out the hard way? So, I was lucky that I had no problems so far. I have never been thrown through the windshield of a car either, but I still wear my seat-belt.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Kip's service is top notch. He is more than happy to personally talk to you through email or on the phone.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I have had two cams from Comp Cams. Neither had "the whine". However, I choose Cam Motion now. The reasons are: Better steel (8620), any duration and lift combo I can dream up, he finish polishes all his cam to guarantee no whine, he gives you a Cam Doctor printout to make sure the cam is accurately ground, and I can tell you his customer service if far far better.

Who wants to find out the hard way? So, I was lucky that I had no problems so far. I have never been thrown through the windshield of a car either, but I still wear my seat-belt.
This is exactly how I feel, and why I pass the knowledge along to others about Comps issues.....or just the fact that the cores are different, or the cam specs generic etc.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:42 AM
10 Second Club

I did talk to kip before and was great to talk to on the phone! No doubt about him and his customer service.

Quick Reply: What's up with Comp Cams ?