Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with Comp Cams ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014 | 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mkvamso
It doesn't matter how many cams are perfect to the people that got bad ones
Has anyone had a cam motion cam fail in the last 5 years? Even one?
For a company as big as they are, you'd think quality control would be paramount. And after the fact you would think they would stand by their product, warranty the bad cam, and hopefully change the minds of people like myself that have had a terrible product and terrible customer support.
pretty much on point...You would think QC would be paramount, a company that size should have solid QC.

The argument they sell way more than anyone else, so more failures are to be expected, doesn't really hold water either. By SAE standards, 1% failure rate is unacceptable in US production standards (this is also ISO, Signa, TQM, TPM).....the US standard is 1% internal controls|testing, not external to the customer.

I am sure installation errors can account for some of these cam failures, but no way installation errors, blaming the oil type used can explain away all of the failures people have been reporting. Take into consideration past issues with other products in their line up, 918 springs, lifters (flat-tappet|mechanical|hydraulic etc), trunion upgrades failing. This really begins to paint a picture of a company struggling with QC issues|internal controls|risk mgmt practices and perhaps one that is just indifferent to the customer.

We all take a risk with non-oem aftermarket parts, especially once we crack the valve and timing covers, no doubt there will be some failures along the way. I doubt most aftermarket parts see the rigorous testing and QC governance that OEM parts do.

Caveat Emptor
Old 11-24-2014 | 05:52 PM
On The Tree

UPDATE: Comp Cams called me and they are going to fix my car they really stepped up to the plate. I can forgive and forget no one is perfect. Comp Cams warranty department is awesome I have restored my faith in the company and they have earned my future business.

Last edited by SCHP98ls1B4C; 11-24-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-24-2014 | 06:19 PM
TECH Resident
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by SCHP98ls1B4C
UPDATE: I spoke with a senior representative from comp cams. He said he immediately recognized the noise he said 100% of the time the noise is from the cam not being polished enough. He told me (we are 100% at fault and we are going to get your car repaired)

Comp Cams stepped up to the plate. As of right now I will be getting my car repaired on Comp Cams dollar.
Ok, but I'm sure we heard that from Comp a few months ago?

Russ Kemp
Old 11-24-2014 | 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Russ K
Ok, but I'm sure we heard that from Comp a few months ago?

Russ Kemp
Maybe so... My experience as of right now is that they made a mistake they are doing everything in their power to correct it and that my friend is very honorable!
Old 11-25-2014 | 07:32 AM
The Scammer Hammer
15 Year Member

So if I'm hearing this correctly, they are replacing the cam, associated gaskets, as well as labor?
Old 11-25-2014 | 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SCHP98ls1B4C
UPDATE: Comp Cams called me and they are going to fix my car they really stepped up to the plate. I can forgive and forget no one is perfect. Comp Cams warranty department is awesome I have restored my faith in the company and they have earned my future business.
Maybe others weren't persistent enough and could have gotten more if they continued to call and email. How many calls/emails did it take to get them to step up and take care of you? Although I would hope that if you buy the cam from a large retailer they would go to bat for you making it an easier to get what you deserve.
Old 11-25-2014 | 06:48 PM
8 Second Club

Why should a customer have to call and harass them multiple times for them to stand by their product.
I'd be amazed if they covered anything other than the cam
Let alone lifters, head gaskets, head bolts, fluid, etc, what about the people that had to rebuild once those metal shavings got everywhere.
Old 11-25-2014 | 06:55 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Fry_
Maybe others weren't persistent enough and could have gotten more if they continued to call and email. How many calls/emails did it take to get them to step up and take care of you? Although I would hope that if you buy the cam from a large retailer they would go to bat for you making it an easier to get what you deserve.
Why should a customer have to call and harass them multiple times for them to stand by their product.
Let alone lifters, head gaskets, head bolts, fluid, etc, what about the people that had to rebuild once those metal shavings got everywhere.
I would speculate that this thread influenced the outcome. This is not exactly 30 pages of great publicity.
Old 11-25-2014 | 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't say you should have to harass them, but I'd expect a fair amount of back and forth for them to figure out if the problem is there fault or yours. Then they would have to figure out what parts other than the cam they should be responsible for replacing and who should pay for the install. You have to consider they probably get hundreds of phone calls from stupid people that did stupid things and think it's Comps fault that they didn't measure PTV clearance or thought they could get buy for a month on stock valve springs.

Its probably also another good reason to get your cam from one of the vendors on here and not direct from Comp or a catalog like Summit. Have any of these cams come from TSP, Tick, Vengeance, or any other large vendor on here? And if so did they help resolve the problem?
Old 11-26-2014 | 02:37 PM
TECH Regular

I told you that all's you had to do was bitch at the right person and tell them your dead set on slandering there name... **** works
Old 11-26-2014 | 02:44 PM
TECH Regular

In General most people would call and get snippy with the receptionist (who has no authority other than to exchange a cam) and that's where they leave it... when you should be nice as possible so they get you a authority figure to talk to you....then you start bitching. . If you wanna get some were (with any ratailer) you talk to somebody who actually has authority.

Its like this,

The (boss) will happily have the rep tell you there is nothing they can do(since there not personally telling you off)

But you talk to the boss yourself it's a little harder for them to say no directly to you..

Should you have to bitch at the right person... no. .but is that how this world is. ..yes

Personly I deal directly with the boss/owner anytime I can.. and i prefer it that way for this reason
Old 11-27-2014 | 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

From: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post18546388
Old 10-11-2016 | 07:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Martin Smallwood
I haven't worked there since September of last year fwiw.

When I worked there I went out of my way to get in touch with the higher ups at COMP, contact them multiple times and hold their feet to the fire when this whining issue arose after cams were sold. I was able to help several customers by doing such when this problem arose while I still worked there.

I'm by no means attempting to throw Tick under the bus either, but this is the main reason why I ONLY use Cam Motion cores now.
Originally Posted by Mike Morris
When this problem came out years ago in Comp Cam thread you said it wasn't a problem and fought with members on here that said it was a big big problem. You then bashed LS1.com members on yellowbullit as well.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...comp-cams.html
Comp still having issues, these came from their most recent complaint thread.
Old 10-11-2016 | 08:14 AM
Teching In

Yes, they are still having issues and COMP knows of this problem. I bought my SNS torqueMAX Stage 3 Mild Lobes from TICK. I got the dreaded COMP cam whine. I purchased the cam in the middle of May of 2016.

Then I had it installed in August of 2016. (reason for waiting 3 1/2 months is I had carpal tunnel surgery in June/July) After talking with COMP they checked the build and serial # and said the cam I purchased was made in August of 2014.

So there are still problem cams out there floating around. I have no clue how I got a cam that was 2 years old from a vendor that sells 8-10 a month from the comments I read on this thread.

Are the new cams COMP is making fixing the problem? That I do not know, but you really wont know how old your cam is if you purchase it from a vendor until you get the build card with the cam and call COMP themselves and ask. COMP can tell you everything about the cam from the build card. The build card itself does not show the date it was made, they have to look it up and see when it was made at COMP.

So right now unless you buy it straight from COMP and talk with them first, I would avoid using a vendor because if you get a bad cam, the vendor is going to tell you to contact COMP anyway. This is what happened to me.
Old 10-11-2016 | 08:41 AM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

The new comp cams are fixed but the bullshit part is that they did not have all vendors return camshafts manufactured before X date.
Old 10-11-2016 | 09:09 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
The new comp cams are fixed but the bullshit part is that they did not have all vendors return camshafts manufactured before X date.
Once again I reiterate it's not that they had a problem that made me give up on their products for good. It's the way they handled that they had a problem.

On the flip side it would be an insane amount of work if not impossible to know what cams are where and effectively recall them, but I'm also sure they didn't want to put out a notice to venders either. Probably rather just try to deal with issues as they arise.

The downside to that is the person who has bought and installed the junk gets hosed out of time, labor $$$, supporting parts $$$, tuning appointments, race events, etc.
Old 10-11-2016 | 09:30 AM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

I doubt it would of been that hard... all they needed to do is contact vendors and advise them to go through inventory and return cams dated before X date. Obviously it would take some leg work, but it would of saved them some bad press.
Old 10-11-2016 | 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

This most recent complaint I believe was a newer cam then 14.
Old 10-11-2016 | 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

Some of the cars locally and back home in Md that have the Comp Cams Rocker Trunion kits are having problems too. I don't know if its an install problem or not. I will check mine as asap. They seem to wear out prematurely
Old 10-12-2016 | 12:43 AM
Super Hulk Smash

When I ordered my BTR Cam this year, Brian told me all of his new cams were done on Comp's new cores. Nothing he had in stock was the old cam core. And that was from like Nov of last year.

It's worth asking your vendor if the Comp you're buying is newer than 11/2015 or older. If older, try to get a newer one or goto a new vendor.

I was a big critic of Comp with the issues that were popping up until I saw the fix they did. The cam I have now is perfect. I wouldn't hesitate to run them. And they really did fix the issue. And their investment in lobe profiles is second to none.

Quick Reply: What's up with Comp Cams ?