Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody else have a LS1 that hates synthetic oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 07:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody else have a LS1 that hates synthetic oil?

Bought my Z28 in late May last year. Changed my oil and put 5w30 Mobil 1 in it. Car ate a little over a quart in 3000 miles on the first change. Then it ate about 2 quarts in the next 3000 miles. I switched to AMSoil cuz of all the good things I heard about it. 2 weeks after I did that I got a rear main seal leak So I fixed that and put Castrol GTX 10w30 conventional oil in it. Car didn't use a single drop of it. Bout a month ago I tried the Castrol part synthetic oil 10w30. In 600 miles my car was 2 quarts low with no apparent oil leak. So it seems like my car just hates synthetic oil. Just curious if anybody else has had any problems with synthetic?
Old 04-26-2013, 08:46 PM
Teching In

i have a bone stock 98 ss with 96k miles, the oil was changed with castrol 5w30 synthetic at 94k miles according to the sticker and it hasn't lost a drop

i just bought the car though so i can't say with any real certainty, however i have driven about 600 miles since i've bought it and its still at the same level
Old 04-26-2013, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car has Mobil one 5W30 synthetic and it will go through a quart about every month and a half or so. The car doesn't leak at all. I just have kinda excepted it and keep a quart in my car at all times and top it off when the light comes on. I think its something to do with the crappy PCV system the motor has.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:32 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Get a PCV catch-can since you already have the LS6 PCV system.

If you take your TB off and look down into your intake manifold, you'll see it coated in oil. Great job, GM.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:42 PM
Launching!

When I ran it with Mobil 1 I just blamed the pcv system on the loss of oil. But how exactly do you explain the fact that it didn't suck up any of the conventional oil? That's the part I can't seem to understand.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

I am not sure how to explain this but I'll give it a shot. Synthetic oil flows easier. A friend of mine use to show the difference between conventional and synthetic by putting both of them in the freezer. After pulling them from the freezer he would tip the bottles upside down. The conventional was almost gel-like while the synthetic flowed easily with minimal difference, from the temp. The synthetic may be finding its way around loose clearances whether it is in rings or seals. Amsoil has acknowledged that a high mileage motor that was experiencing no oil consumption "could" "possibly" see oil consumption with synthetic. Hope this helps.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:59 PM
Launching!

yea that makes sense Paul. I just would've thought that the conventional oil would break down more than synthetic at operating temps, therefore if anything the conventional oil would get sucked u and leak through seals and that kind of thing. But thats not the case apparently.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:23 PM
12 Second Club

Mine eats it up also and I run Mobil 1 5w30 and constantly is ticking
Old 05-09-2013, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How many miles? Check your PCV system for sure. Also synthetic oil is thinner by nature and will thin out even more when it gets hot. Do you go WOT a lot? Also make sure you aren't getting that morning puff of Smoke out the pipe when first starting it up or after It sits for a long time. If so, most likely valve seals are taking a crap or already did. Also curious to know why change from 5w to 10w, I see you live in VA which it's pretty cold in the morning if I'm not mistaken. You should keep your 5w because 10w is for hotter weather.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always thought it was the detergents that are in synthetic oils that find there way better through old seals and cause them to leak somewhat... I maybe wrong though.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Austinma62
I always thought it was the detergents that are in synthetic oils that find there way better through old seals and cause them to leak somewhat... I maybe wrong though.
You are right. Synthetic oil has detergents and slowly clean out sludge that may be clogging potential leaks
Old 05-10-2013, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Synthetic oils are very thin, conventional oils are much heavier. I use high mileage oils in mine which is a heavier mix of synthetic and conventional oils. Works nice, If use all synthetic WOw is it noisy.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

I've put about 2000 on my first change since buying this car with Castrol Syntec 5w-30. Haven't seen any noticeable oil consumption by looking at the dipstick. I've never been a fan of Mobil1, and synthetic blends are a waste of money. Try a full synthetic Castrol..
Old 05-10-2013, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How can it be even possible that 5w-30 synthetic is "Thinner" than 5W-30 conventional? I think that is an urban legend...If you car consumes oil...period, you have a mechanical problem (PVC, valve seals, ring seal etc). Don't blame the oil.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

From my previous post...
Originally Posted by Paul57
I am not sure how to explain this but I'll give it a shot. Synthetic oil flows easier. A friend of mine use to show the difference between conventional and synthetic by putting both of them in the freezer. After pulling them from the freezer he would tip the bottles upside down. The conventional was almost gel-like while the synthetic flowed easily with minimal difference, from the temp. The synthetic may be finding its way around loose clearances whether it is in rings or seals. Amsoil has acknowledged that a high mileage motor that was experiencing no oil consumption "could" "possibly" see oil consumption with synthetic. Hope this helps.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

my brother's ls1 is one piece off work, we changed oil same time, his oil is black and almost gone while mine was fairly fine & still oilly colored not black
Old 05-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Banned

I had this same issue, my PVC system was all screwed up and was leaking oil into my intake and was burning my oil inside my valve covers if I was you id check there first to see if it is doing this and if it is just delete it. I believe my mechanic did or he just fixed the problem entirely. I was also advise not to run a synthetic run what the manufacture says and mix in a little 90W with it and you will be fine.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Banned

Synthetic oil ( I hope I am explaining this right) yes it flows easier, because it is a lighter base and thinner what could be happening is that the oil is getting above your cylinders and burning when the spark ignites the fuel. this did happen to me because the person who had my car last built the motor and sprayed it. when he put it back together to stock form to sell it he didnt set the rings right and it scratch my cylinder walls up pretty bad my cylinder heads where black as can be from the carbon but the groves allowed the synthetic oil to move above the cylinder head. Hope this helps and sometimes it isnt just a mechanical problem sometimes it is just that you are using the wrong oil.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Launching!

throw some Shell Rotella T in it and you wont have to worry. Valvetrain is dead quiet.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
How can it be even possible that 5w-30 synthetic is "Thinner" than 5W-30 conventional? I think that is an urban legend...If you car consumes oil...period, you have a mechanical problem (PVC, valve seals, ring seal etc). Don't blame the oil.
LOL open the bottle and pour......OR go to the oil companies web sites and look at the thickness ratings at different temps.

Pennzoil platinum 10-30 pours like melted butter compared to Pennzoil conventional 10-30.

Quick Reply: Anybody else have a LS1 that hates synthetic oil?