Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics Of My Advanced Induction Dart/RHS 223cc Heads/Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 08:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep, Kent (9sectruck) is right. The car needs a new fuel pump, which it will get. Our original plan was to set the rev limiter at 7000, but due to fuel pressure drop, it was set at 6700. The shift light is set at 6500 rpms and that is where I shift it at and that's where I took the pulls to on the dyno.

The plan will be to get the dyno rented for an hour, me and Kent will roll up there and he can hone things in on the dyno. That way, he can mess around with timing and see what the setup likes. I'm sure after that, it will yield some better numbers. I'm still going to try to get a few runs in with Dirtbag next week. His setup is a proven 440 rwhp setup and our cars weigh roughly the same. That will give me a good idea how this dyno reads.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Open loop SD is seriously inconsistent as well on a gen3.

Why aren't you running a maf?
Old 11-13-2013, 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mchicia1
Open loop SD is seriously inconsistent as well on a gen3.

Why aren't you running a maf?
Opted for the SD tune due to issues with O2 sensors. I'm not opposed to going back to MAF, but don't see that it's going to make any difference. If a tune is on, it's on, whether it be MAF or SD.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wait OLSD...I didnt catch that part. Are you running leaded fuel? That 12.5/12.7 afr doesnt really jive with that though...

NM, to slow
Old 11-13-2013, 09:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
I didn't realize the Stainless Works headers have 2.5" collectors. That will definitely hurt torque output.

To be honest, throw some TSP 1-7/8" headers on there if you don't want to blow up your budget or ARH/Kooks 1-7/8" headers with the HVMC. You'll probably pick up 20rwhp with just that change and close to that in torque. Iron out the tune issues and you could see 440rwhp and 400rwt.
I agree with this here if any one single change should be considered. For
whatever reason the LS engines LOVE big free flowing headers..especially
with the merge collectors. I gained more than 4 tenths and more than 3 mph
with a header/cat upgrade and no retune. This with a -12 overlap cam; +8
deg exhaust timing; and heads that flow 90% E/I ratio.
The OP probably has injectors that will support 100 more rwhp than he's
trying to make; a fuel pump that seems to be over taxed; and an intake that
could use an upgrade; however I'd ALWAYS take a killer cylinder head with a
few not perfect parts than a bunch of awesome stuff bolted to crappy heads.
I can't imagine that his tune is off by a bunch (based on his description of
how it runs)...it's NOT the cam or the heads...most likely just a heartbreaker
of a dyno. I'd suggest dragging that bitch ASAP...it'll top 120 for sure...then
when funds allow sell your bolt-on friendly headers for some big stuff and re
run it where I'd bet it'll go 123-124 (assuming full weight) and at that point
who cares what the dyno says...that's a fast ******* car.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
I agree with this here if any one single change should be considered. For
whatever reason the LS engines LOVE big free flowing headers..especially
with the merge collectors. I gained more than 4 tenths and more than 3 mph
with a header/cat upgrade and no retune. This with a -12 overlap cam; +8
deg exhaust timing; and heads that flow 90% E/I ratio.
The OP probably has injectors that will support 100 more rwhp than he's
trying to make; a fuel pump that seems to be over taxed; and an intake that
could use an upgrade; however I'd ALWAYS take a killer cylinder head with a
few not perfect parts than a bunch of awesome stuff bolted to crappy heads.
I can't imagine that his tune is off by a bunch (based on his description of
how it runs)...it's NOT the cam or the heads...most likely just a heartbreaker
of a dyno. I'd suggest dragging that bitch ASAP...it'll top 120 for sure...then
when funds allow sell your bolt-on friendly headers for some big stuff and re
run it where I'd bet it'll go 123-124 (assuming full weight) and at that point
who cares what the dyno says...that's a fast ******* car.
Thanks man. That makes me feel better. If I could get to the track this weekend, I'd be there, but with kids and family obligations, I don't see it happening, not to mention the closest track is about 2 hours away. If I get to the track and trap 120 or better, my worries will be resolved.

I know the headers and intake are a restriction at this point. I'll sell off the headers I have and get some different ones. What should I be looking for, as in brands? I know I'm going to need 1 7/8" primaries with at least a 3" collector, but would like a 3.5" collector. Keep in mind I'm going to need to do this as budget friendly as possible.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jenson
Wait OLSD...I didnt catch that part. Are you running leaded fuel? That 12.5/12.7 afr doesnt really jive with that though...

NM, to slow
Yep, 93 octane all the way. I guess I'm not understanding what you're saying.

Also, on a funny note. I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing, so when the guy told me to let it rip, I literally went at it like I was getting after it at the track or on the highway; starting in first and running through the grears. I had no idea I was supposed to be making 4th gear pulls. Pretty much felt like a dumbass.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rise of the phoenix
yep, 93 octane all the way. I guess i'm not understanding what you're saying.

Also, on a funny note. I had no idea what i was supposed to be doing, so when the guy told me to let it rip, i literally went at it like i was getting after it at the track or on the highway; starting in first and running through the grears. I had no idea i was supposed to be making 4th gear pulls. Pretty much felt like a dumbass.
lol
let her rip
Old 11-13-2013, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 9sectruck
lol
let her rip
Guess I should have asked someone before I went and made a dumbass of myself.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:56 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Yep, 93 octane all the way. I guess I'm not understanding what you're saying.

Also, on a funny note. I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing, so when the guy told me to let it rip, I literally went at it like I was getting after it at the track or on the highway; starting in first and running through the grears. I had no idea I was supposed to be making 4th gear pulls. Pretty much felt like a dumbass.
Thats funny, live and learn. Usually people want go OLSD to run some leaded fuel or other high octane stuff (kills narrow band sensors fast, even widebands). These fuels do not have a stoich value of 12.5, thats why I asked. I hate AFR, lambda is so much better. If I were you I'd just throw a set of TSP's 1-7/8" LT's and a racetronix pump/hotwire kit on there and call it a day. Of course I know how it is with a family taking up money and time, these are just toys, so even little projects take forever!!
Old 11-13-2013, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thats funny, live and learn. Usually people want go OLSD to run some leaded fuel or other high octane stuff (kills narrow band sensors fast, even widebands). These fuels do not have a stoich value of 12.5, thats why I asked. I hate AFR, lambda is so much better. If I were you I'd just throw a set of TSP's 1-7/8" LT's and a racetronix pump/hotwire kit on there and call it a day. Of course I know how it is with a family taking up money and time, these are just toys, so even little projects take forever!!
You think the Texas Speed 1 7/8" headers are going to be the best bet for the money? I need to start looking for a used set.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

Opted for the SD tune due to issues with O2 sensors. I'm not opposed to going back to MAF, but don't see that it's going to make any difference. If a tune is on, it's on, whether it be MAF or SD.
Huh? SD tune has nothing to do with 02 sensors. You must be thinking of open and closed loop. Speed density is just a method that uses the VE table, MAP, and the iat sensor to estimate the air mass entering your engine. It will never be precise as a MAF, which is actually metering the air mass.

Contrary to popular belief, SD tunes do have AFR swing. Your car sounds like it was street tuned months ago, but just got on the dyno recently = your afr was probably not the same as when it was tuned.

I have seen as much as 10% AFR swing in my own car on different track days. Not to mention, if you have any IAT heat soak, your afr is going to be lean. IATs heatsoak big time sitting on a dyno because of the heat generated from WOT.

Not only is SD not as precise as MAF, but your making it even worse by running open loop with no 02 sensors bringing you back to stoich. That won't affect your power, but it will affect drivability.

Removing the maf will gain you some power, but only on the day it was tuned. As soon as that AFR swings, you just lost the advantage. I like the MAF for the consistency.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

Also, I 2nd the notion that bigger pretty much always means better in terms of exhaust size.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mchicia1
Huh? SD tune has nothing to do with 02 sensors. You must be thinking of open and closed loop. Speed density is just a method that uses the VE table, MAP, and the iat sensor to estimate the air mass entering your engine. It will never be precise as a MAF, which is actually metering the air mass.

Contrary to popular belief, SD tunes do have AFR swing. Your car sounds like it was street tuned months ago, but just got on the dyno recently = your afr was probably not the same as when it was tuned.

I have seen as much as 10% AFR swing in my own car on different track days. Not to mention, if you have any IAT heat soak, your afr is going to be lean. IATs heatsoak big time sitting on a dyno because of the heat generated from WOT.

Not only is SD not as precise as MAF, but your making it even worse by running open loop with no 02 sensors bringing you back to stoich. That won't affect your power, but it will affect drivability.

Removing the maf will gain you some power, but only on the day it was tuned. As soon as that AFR swings, you just lost the advantage. I like the MAF for the consistency.

Good stuff there. You are correct; the car received it's final tune on July 5th, 2013 in which it was tuned Open Loop SD. The car was taken to the dyno on Monday, so that's about 4 months. Also, I drove the car over an hour to where it got put on the dyno, with the only cool down time occuring while he got the car on the rollers and secured down. Could that play into the dyno readings?

I may just go back to a MAF tune. I'll need to buy new O2's because one was crapping out on me before the Open Loop SD tune. So you are saying that a MAF tune will keep the A/F readings more in consistant?
Old 11-13-2013, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You think the Texas Speed 1 7/8" headers are going to be the best bet for the money? I need to start looking for a used set.
They are stainless steel and affordable.. They are a great deal
Old 11-13-2013, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Burken01
They are stainless steel and affordable.. They are a great deal
Yeah, I was taking a look at them last night on the old interweb. Still may try to find a used set though.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:27 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Good stuff there. You are correct; the car received it's final tune on July 5th, 2013 in which it was tuned Open Loop SD. The car was taken to the dyno on Monday, so that's about 4 months. Also, I drove the car over an hour to where it got put on the dyno, with the only cool down time occuring while he got the car on the rollers and secured down. Could that play into the dyno readings?

I may just go back to a MAF tune. I'll need to buy new O2's because one was crapping out on me before the Open Loop SD tune. So you are saying that a MAF tune will keep the A/F readings more in consistant?
Pretty much. Closed loop is close.

Geoff is yelling at me for grabbing the TSP 100mm MAF. We're going to try to get it dialed in before I let him convince me of running SD. I'd prefer having the MAF for when the temperature changes wildly, which occurs daily here 5-6 months out of the year. The other 6 are just hot. All the time. The 6 months of variance can be hot as hell or freezing cold. In the same day.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:28 PM
12 Second Club

If you dial in the IAT vs ect and stick the sensor in the front bumper or some other place for fresh air the SD tune is fine. Not to mention idle quality is better without the MAF crap, and throttle response, and you can easily run a hwy lean cruise group of cell's. Or you can disable the IAT vs ECT crap all together. I was hoping the new HPT SD OS did away with all that BS though. Im still on the old serial cable, just bought the new pro setup! Now if only I had a car to tune.

For a new SS header (even though they're Chinese crap SS) they cant be beat. They fit a million times better than the ebay chinese ones and they should bolt directly to your TSP TD's. Used is good too, I just sold my Kooks 1-7/8 a couple weeks ago for $600. Just have to sit around on classifieds all day cuz the good stuff goes quick
Old 11-13-2013, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The car will more then likely stay in SD in less you really want it with maf.
iat/ect sensor have been set to adj fueling.
If you can lets put the WB back in this weekend and see how far if any the afrs are off.

In my opinion SD/open loop is the steadiest afr reading driving or wot.

yes in extreme weather change the afr do move but in my experience not enough to justify a new tune for te winter to summer temps.

As stated in early post the afrs (as of the day delivered) where around 12.5/12.7..
Old 11-13-2013, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you dial in the IAT vs ect and stick the sensor in the front bumper or some other place for fresh air the SD tune is fine. Not to mention idle quality is better without the MAF crap, and throttle response, and you can easily run a hwy lean cruise group of cell's. Or you can disable the IAT vs ECT crap all together. I was hoping the new HPT SD OS did away with all that BS though. Im still on the old serial cable, just bought the new pro setup! Now if only I had a car to tune.

For a new SS header (even though they're Chinese crap SS) they cant be beat. They fit a million times better than the ebay chinese ones and they should bolt directly to your TSP TD's. Used is good too, I just sold my Kooks 1-7/8 a couple weeks ago for $600. Just have to sit around on classifieds all day cuz the good stuff goes quick
I physically left the MAF on the car and I don't believe the IAT sensor was relocated toward the front, but that's something I can do if I stay with the OLSD tune. It might make better sense to go back to MAF tune, or CLSD tune so that things can be regulated and kept within a certain parameter, which it doesn't sound like can be done in OLSD.

Quick Reply: Pics Of My Advanced Induction Dart/RHS 223cc Heads/Build Thread