Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics Of My Advanced Induction Dart/RHS 223cc Heads/Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 02:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 9sectruck
The car will more then likely stay in SD in less you really want it with maf.
iat/ect sensor have been set to adj fueling.
If you can lets put the WB back in this weekend and see how far if any the afrs are off.

In my opinion SD/open loop is the steadiest afr reading driving or wot.

yes in extreme weather change the afr do move but in my experience not enough to justify a new tune for te winter to summer temps.

As stated in early post the afrs (as of the day delivered) where around 12.5/12.7..
That sounds like a good plan to me. I'll shoot you a text and we can figure out a good day/time this weekend.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenson
If you dial in the IAT vs ect and stick the sensor in the front bumper or some other place for fresh air the SD tune is fine. Not to mention idle quality is better without the MAF crap, and throttle response, and you can easily run a hwy lean cruise group of cell's. Or you can disable the IAT vs ECT crap all together. I was hoping the new HPT SD OS did away with all that BS though. Im still on the old serial cable, just bought the new pro setup! Now if only I had a car to tune.

For a new SS header (even though they're Chinese crap SS) they cant be beat. They fit a million times better than the ebay chinese ones and they should bolt directly to your TSP TD's. Used is good too, I just sold my Kooks 1-7/8 a couple weeks ago for $600. Just have to sit around on classifieds all day cuz the good stuff goes quick
That's hacky, I had it that way on my GTO, and the AFR still swings regardless. Not even talking about heat soak swing....it just swings. Also, think about as the engine gets hotter and hotter from WOT pulls. It's not going to be pulling in ambient air anymore, but that is what you're telling the PCM.

The maf is not crap, it works very well and if you dial in your VE table, your throttle response is just as good as pure VE without the maf.

After all, the VE table's entire purpose is a lookup table for throttle transitions (throttle response). If you just tune your maf, and leave the VE table stock, it will feel soggy. I have been back and forth with SD Only and maf/ve the last 2 months and I settled on maf /ve based on data logging just about every day.

SD does pickup a teeny bit at the track, but only if I have my wideband in and I am readjusting the AFR back to my target. IMO, unless you do your own tuning and can make adjustments whenever you want, I would stay away from SD.

Last edited by mchicia1; 11-13-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I had no idea two different dynojets could read so differently. A bone stock LS2 GTO put down 330 rwph on this dyno. Is that pretty typical? Just trying to see if this dyno reads on the higher or lower side.
my old LS2 GTO put down something like 336 on my local dyno here in Indiana.I'd say that's a pretty honest dyno that you used.I've definately seen some inflated #s compared to what track times were once the car was raced.i wouldn't sweat the low numbers,i bet it'll run good at the track.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We can attempt to race, lol. This cold weather doesn't agree with traction too well. Should be fun though. Even so, I hope you win, it'll prove dyno's mean jack sh*t.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

i want to be there to watch...
going to be 65-70 this weekend but a good chance of rain
Old 11-13-2013, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dirtbag
We can attempt to race, lol. This cold weather doesn't agree with traction too well. Should be fun though. Even so, I hope you win, it'll prove dyno's mean jack sh*t.
Sounds good to me. Let me make sure the tune looks good first, then I'm game. Is it supposed to warm up any later next week? I just hope to be right there with you. Did you ever get to the track this year?
Old 11-14-2013, 06:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mchicia1
That's hacky, I had it that way on my GTO, and the AFR still swings regardless. Not even talking about heat soak swing....it just swings. Also, think about as the engine gets hotter and hotter from WOT pulls. It's not going to be pulling in ambient air anymore, but that is what you're telling the PCM.

The maf is not crap, it works very well and if you dial in your VE table, your throttle response is just as good as pure VE without the maf.

After all, the VE table's entire purpose is a lookup table for throttle transitions (throttle response). If you just tune your maf, and leave the VE table stock, it will feel soggy. I have been back and forth with SD Only and maf/ve the last 2 months and I settled on maf /ve based on data logging just about every day.

SD does pickup a teeny bit at the track, but only if I have my wideband in and I am readjusting the AFR back to my target. IMO, unless you do your own tuning and can make adjustments whenever you want, I would stay away from SD.

So your not pulling in ambient air (or better) when your moving? Obviously my car is down so I cant go log to confirm, but Im pretty sure that the readings while moving were the same regardless of where it was. Getting it out of the engine bay just gets rid of that 130+ degree heat soak, split second hot spot when your parked in the lanes/traffic/no air flow. I did not ever try to fix that hot spot in the tune though...shame on me...just saw that it kept going lean on take off with 130+ degree under hood temps so I moved it real quick and never looked back.

My car had been SD for a long time, and one day a buddy asked why the MAF was still in the car. I said because I hadnt made a new intake tube yet and was switching back and forth between an SD and MAF tune a few months back. So I made a new tube, pulled the MAF out of the intake tract, and throttle response went through the roof. Exact same tune, the tune did not change at all, went for a drive before and after the change. That change also makes me want a bigger lid too. I guess its kind of like the Ford Vs Chevy talk though, some guys love one, some the other.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

So your not pulling in ambient air (or better) when your moving? Obviously my car is down so I cant go log to confirm, but Im pretty sure that the readings while moving were the same regardless of where it was. Getting it out of the engine bay just gets rid of that 130+ degree heat soak, split second hot spot when your parked in the lanes/traffic/no air flow. I did not ever try to fix that hot spot in the tune though...shame on me...just saw that it kept going lean on take off with 130+ degree under hood temps so I moved it real quick and never looked back.

My car had been SD for a long time, and one day a buddy asked why the MAF was still in the car. I said because I hadnt made a new intake tube yet and was switching back and forth between an SD and MAF tune a few months back. So I made a new tube, pulled the MAF out of the intake tract, and throttle response went through the roof. Exact same tune, the tune did not change at all, went for a drive before and after the change. That change also makes me want a bigger lid too. I guess its kind of like the Ford Vs Chevy talk though, some guys love one, some the other.
Thaks for all the information. I still have the MAF on the car. I need to make a new intake tube, which is on the "to do" list for this winter. That's good to hear that you felt a big difference when you removed the MAF for the intake tube.

Right now, the game plan is to hook the wideband back up, see what the A/F readings are and make adjustments if needed. The, I'll work on getting the dyno rented for an hour and see if more power can't be picked up by adjusting timing. That's the cool thing about the dyno; you can really play around with different things and see what works.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:11 AM
12 Second Club

Very true about the dyno and being able to directly see what the changes you just made did. I made a thread about the MAF thing forever ago, but no one believed me or understood it. I used a much bigger than needed tube, pretty sure its 4", might be 3.75" though.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:21 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Very true about the dyno and being able to directly see what the changes you just made did. I made a thread about the MAF thing forever ago, but no one believed me or understood it. I used a much bigger than needed tube, pretty sure its 4", might be 3.75" though.
In my dyno thread I posted the results of me going from a maxed stock MAF to SD. The two pulls were literally 5 minutes apart.

I wasn't maxing the Hz. It wasn't that it wasn't able to read. That wasn't the problem. I think THAT is where people get confused when the age old question about "is my MAF a restriction" gets skewed... Everyone says it's good for 5-550 or whatever it is. On signal only. No doubt it can read the airflow. BUT, it's a restriction per SIZE in the tract.

It's like the header primary size debate. Sure, 1 3/4 will "support" 650 all day long. Throw some 1 7/8 or even 2" on there and see what happens.

Just getting the MAF out of the system was good for like 9 and 7 for me, whatever it was. And the throttle was CRISP after that.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Jenson, can you post a picture of the intke tubing you made? What exactly did you use? I need to do this ASAP. I really appreciate it.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:51 AM
12 Second Club

Sure, its at my shop or garage, I'll look tonight
Old 11-14-2013, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would think this would work
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-75-X-12-STRAIGHT-3-PLY-TURBO-INTAKE-INTERCOOLER-PIPING-SILICONE-COUPLER-HOSE-/350819131640?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51ae7320f8&vxp=mtr
Old 11-14-2013, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks Kent. The IAT sensor is connected to the MAF, correct? What would I need to do so that sensor?
Old 11-14-2013, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

No its separate.
I got what you need to set it up.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 9sectruck
No its separate.
I got what you need to set it up.
So it's as simple as pulling off the MAF and hooking up that coupler/hose to the TB and lid?
Old 11-14-2013, 01:20 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I would think the FTP 98mm lid with this would work:

http://intakehoses.com/Merchant2/mer...gory_Code=SAE0

4" 22-degree coupler. It's what I was going to do before I decided to try the 100mm MAF.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've got a SLP lid.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:24 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Yeah, I see that now. Hmm. Yeah, a 4" is too big for the outlet on the SLP. I think it's closer to 3.5"...
Old 11-14-2013, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

I bet they have a 3.5" one too. I'll check.

Quick Reply: Pics Of My Advanced Induction Dart/RHS 223cc Heads/Build Thread