Sponsored by:

New JD motor lets go after only ~1500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Warbird
ezss,

I'm sorry to hear about the motor and jope you get back up and running soon. I have a ton of respect for Mikey, good guy and knows his stuff. If you towed the car back to him why not sit down and let him make a few suggestions.

On another note, I keep asking about these Darton wet-sleeve motors and reliability and no even speaks about them anymore. This is the 4th one I have directly seen or heard about coming apart in very short order. If your motor is locked up it sounds to me like the cylinders are full of coolant. I still have problems believing that these blocks are proven rliable or even close as yet

Asolutely -- Mikey will make the suggestions and we will go from there. The only other consideration I have is that I want to salvage what is there as best as can be done. Again we will see what it looks like.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

That just sucks. My car is at TT Performance right now with the motor out of it. My lifter collapsed\broke (again) and they think it was due to high preload. Here is a pic:
www.techcycle.org/jim/lifter1.jpg
It took out the new cam and TTP doesnt like the looks of the new LS6 pump either so that is being replaced also. They are cleaning out the oil pan looking for shrapnel. While I will not get into any specifics but I am not impressed with any LS1 shop that I have been too. They have all been standard none of them have been great so far. I have tried to use sponsor shops when I could but I am starting to see that its not worth it. Actually the LS1 aftermarket sucks as a whole in my eyes right now. Secret cam specs, unrepeatable numbers, engines and heads failing, and work ethics pretty much suck. "Professional" tuning is a joke also. I would like to know what qualifis as a professional tuner? When I get the car back I am putting in my SVO injectors and having Eastside do a retune becuase I got tuned there before and retunes are like $250. The last tune I got there the only thing that was changed was the pevsrpm values in my PCM, maybe thats all it needed but $550 for just that seems high to me. I didnt complain because I knew if I needed a retune that it would be cheaper and just wanted to see how they operate. Then when Brain at PCMforless got my pcm he said my computer needed alot of work???
EDIT:Nogo and Chef have contacted me about my concerns with the tune from Eastside. I am sure they will make it right, I just have to get my car back.
I am just waiting to get my car back from TTP (Hopefully they can turn my view on LS1 shops around:so far they are ). Getting the retune from Eastside (hopefully I can see nogo's true tuning potential that time also) and just drving my car to enjoy it. These boards are getting to the point thats it too much BS and hype. You dont know who to believe or what detail are being left out.
EZ, I wish the best of luck to you.

Last edited by 9T9BlueTA; 04-26-2004 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I saw the shrapnel that came out of your engine
Old 04-25-2004, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

Do yourself a favor and go to Mikey at Rapid or MTI..any GOOD shop!
Old 04-26-2004, 08:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9T9BlueTA
That just sucks. My car is at TT Performance right now with the motor out of it. My lifter collapsed\broke (again) and they think it was due to high preload. Here is a pic:
www.techcycle.org/jim/lifter1.jpg
It took out the new cam and TTP doesnt like the looks of the new LS6 pump either so that is being replaced also. They are cleaning out the oil pan looking for shrapnel. While I will not get into any specifics but I am not impressed with any LS1 shop that I have been too. They have all been standard none of them have been great so far. I have tried to use sponsor shops when I could but I am starting to see that its not worth it. Actually the LS1 aftermarket sucks as a whole in my eyes right now. Secret cam specs, unrepeatable numbers, engines and heads failing, and work ethics pretty much suck. "Professional" tuning is a joke also. I would like to know what qualifis as a professional tuner? When I get the car back I am putting in my SVO injectors and having Eastside do a retune becuase I got tuned there before and retunes are like $250. The last tune I got there the only thing that was changed was the pevsrpm values in my PCM, maybe thats all it needed but $550 for just that seems high to me. I didnt complain because I knew if I needed a retune that it would be cheaper and just wanted to see how they operate. Then when Brain at PCMforless got my pcm he said my computer needed alot of work???
I am just waiting to get my car back from TTP (Hopefully they can turn my view on LS1 shops around:so far they are ). Getting the retune from Eastside (hopefully I can see nogo's true tuning potential that time also) and just drving my car to enjoy it. These boards are getting to the point thats it too much BS and hype. You dont know who to believe or what detail are being left out.
EZ, I wish the best of luck to you.
Who worked on your car originally? Im not familiar with your problems but best of luck to you also, it is frustrating
Old 04-26-2004, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NLinnear
I saw the shrapnel that came out of your engine
Out of my engine? Because I didnt see them picking up any shards or scraps, but that would be good info to know. It took me a while to get over to where my car was because I was near the front bleachers and I had to go all the way around the fence near the staging lanes and then like 1/8 mile back up the track.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ezss
Out of my engine? Because I didnt see them picking up any shards or scraps, but that would be good info to know. It took me a while to get over to where my car was because I was near the front bleachers and I had to go all the way around the fence near the staging lanes and then like 1/8 mile back up the track.
I only saw oil too. I never saw any shrapnel
Old 04-26-2004, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks. Wish I had means to continue on after something like that. I'd be so pissed.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

ezss and Fireball, I was refering to 9T9blueTA's engine. My car is at TTP for a little work so I like to hang out there. ezss, good luck with all this crap going on with your car.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:31 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Here come the CAPS!...
Nope, not this time. CAPS LOCK was banned for extreme racist remarks.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:42 PM
12 Second Club

So sorry to hear about your dilemma...

Best of luck getting things straightened out.

Bad30th
Old 04-26-2004, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Nope, not this time. CAPS LOCK was banned for extreme racist remarks.
And rightly so. Good deal.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

What a mess.. I hope that it works out for you.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

Erik I'm sorry to hear about your engine. You may remember our cars where at JD's shop at the same time. It looks like I got 300 more miles on my engine built by JD than you did. JD told me he would give 110% and for me that means 1800 miles. My oil pressure is at 14psi at an idle.

As soon as I get my car back from JD's I have to have a new power steering pump put on becasue... JD stripped the threads ($800 at the Chevy shop) Next, I talk with JD and he tells me to replace the oil pump to see IF that is bad. (I was told that my oil pump would be replaced when he rebuilt it, but it was not) I went to More Performance and got their ported, shimmed, and Teflon coated pump ($600). Car still idles at 14psi!

NOW... my lifters are failing. I have been told that it is due to excessive clearances in the engine.

So I call JD. He tells me...
"the clearances are what joe prince already had done to the engine--i just rebuilt it--not reengineered it." <<<<<<(exact quote)

"I JUST REBUILT IT" ... Does this mean that when you take your engine to JD that he takes it apart and puts it back like it was? I AM confused!!

Erik, it looks like you and I got the same exact type of rebuild. Take it apart, look at it, and put it back together!!!!!!! Oh well, I only hope that others will read our posts and discern for themsleves as to where they should or should NOT take their cars when it comes time to rebuild their engines.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

"the clearances are what joe prince already had done to the engine--i just rebuilt it--not reengineered it." <<<<<<(exact quote)
Now thats f'ed up!!!
Old 04-27-2004, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by George C.

Holy crap!! Thats ****!!!!
Old 04-27-2004, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by George C.
Erik I'm sorry to hear about your engine. You may remember our cars where at JD's shop at the same time. It looks like I got 300 more miles on my engine built by JD than you did. JD told me he would give 110% and for me that means 1800 miles. My oil pressure is at 14psi at an idle.

As soon as I get my car back from JD's I have to have a new power steering pump put on becasue... JD stripped the threads ($800 at the Chevy shop) Next, I talk with JD and he tells me to replace the oil pump to see IF that is bad. (I was told that my oil pump would be replaced when he rebuilt it, but it was not) I went to More Performance and got their ported, shimmed, and Teflon coated pump ($600). Car still idles at 14psi!

NOW... my lifters are failing. I have been told that it is due to excessive clearances in the engine.

"I JUST REBUILT IT" ... Does this mean that when you take your engine to JD that he takes it apart and puts it back like it was? I AM confused!!

Erik, it looks like you and I got the same exact type of rebuild. Take it apart, look at it, and put it back together!!!!!!! Oh well, I only hope that others will read our posts and discern for themsleves as to where they should or should NOT take their cars when it comes time to rebuild their engines.
oh man George -- I am really sorry. I did not know the depth of your problems, but I am not surprised, based on what we have all been through. I have learned some new things these past few days that really blow my mind, ill tell you if you give me a call later...
Old 04-27-2004, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

This sounds like a surrealistic nightmare guys

I bet they went way too big on bearing clearance and this is causing all of your low oil pressure problems.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:12 AM
TECH Junkie

damn George

check your pms.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Someone should shoot JD from the sounds of it.

Quick Reply: New JD motor lets go after only ~1500 miles