Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AI (Advanced induction) or TEA (Total engine airflow)...who and why...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 05:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default AI (Advanced induction) or TEA (Total engine airflow)...who and why...?

I've decided now is the time to buy heads. After lots of research it seems my best bet is to buy some 243's from one of these companies and have them do their port-work on them. It seems that both companies produce a killer product and really I will probably not go wrong with either one BUT which would you choose and why?

The main difference seems to be in the valves. AI uses stock valves while TEA uses oversized valves.

I am looking at the TEA stage 2 heads shown here:
http://www.totalengineairflow.com/pr...s2ls6-stage-2/

And the AI 232 heads shown here:
http://www.advancedinduction.com/LSX...cGMLS2Head.php

My current setup consists of stock 243's w/ patriot gold springs, 229/234 .600/.612 111+4 cam, fast 92 intake manifold and throttle body, svede otrcar, sd tune, UDP, kooks 1 3/4" headers w/ catless mids, flowmaster catback. The motor is a forged/ balanced 347 with all arp bolts and head studs. It currently has a cometic head gasket. My rev limiter is set to 7000 rpm and I try to shift at arount 6800 to 6900.

With this upgrade I also plan to do ls7 lifters, ls2 lifter trays, stock rocker arms w/ trunion upgrade, and either PAC dual springs (TEA) or BTR dual spings (AI).

Pricewise including the cores from either company comes in right around $2000 w/ shipping. They are within a few dollars of eachother. I have had email communication with each company and both tell me I should see around 40hp with their heads.

I am really at a loss which one to pick at this point and I have been searching everywhere for the past few weeks. I need to just make a decision and go with it but so far I cannot.

Also...what compression ratio should I shoot for with this setup? 91 octane is the gas I normally run. Should I do another cometic .040 headgasket, or just go with the GM OEM one?

If you read all of this I truly thank you.

All feedback welcome.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd skip it and run the PRC as cast 225's. nothing against tea or ai but you can't beat $1500 for an awesome set of aftermarket heads that run stock rockers. Why do you wanna buy 243 cores if you already have them? If you're dead set on porting them, I would go with tea just because of their turn around time and not dealing only in emails.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TEA - You can call them. Nuff Said.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I vote for AI..

Their heads/head work is starting to pop up pretty regular now and are laying down great #s. I will be going with their 226cc package with BTR springs. I talked to Phil a little while back and he recommended the BTR's. I would do either that or the PSI maxlife springs.

I dont really know what to tell you on compression, but Phil told me he would mill down to 58-59cc & shoot for the 11.3/11.5 area.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cam selection / phasing and the effect is has on DCR will determine what octane gas you need to run, your chamber size / SCR doesn't really tell the whole picture. look at a calculator and see where you'll be. if you're on the hairy edge, 0.040's will decrease you quench and make it more detonation resistant. decreasing quench is generally a good idea regardless though (provided you have the PTV to allow for it).
Old 06-07-2013, 09:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Pricewise including the cores from either company comes in right around $2000 w/ shipping.
If you already have the 243s why are you spending somewhere around $800 for another set of cores? If you don't want any down time, why not just buy some $400 used cores and have them sent directly to them?

With the cleaning and work done by either company, there's almost no reason to need new cores for twice the money you can get a good set of used ones for. Even AI says that after their work is done, the set of heads is just as good if not better than when they were brand spankin' new.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with TEA because I like being able to call and actually talk to someone. Either way you'll get some really kickass heads!
Old 06-07-2013, 10:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you checked out the AI Dart/RHS fully CNC'd 223cc heads? They are an aftermarket casting and are fully CNC'd by AI. The price includes the heads, port work, springs, valves, etc. I bought them and they are awesome heads. I just had them intalled, but don't have any dyno numbers yet. Phil says these heads are good for 10 to 15 hp over their CNC'd 232cc 243 heads.

On a side note, you say you already have 243 heads, so why not just save some money and ship them to either AI or TEA for the port work?
Old 06-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I did TEA, because you can actually get them when you need to talk to them. Brian Tooley can do the same thing for you with extra hand porting. So if you have cores, I recommend him over either company. I didn't have cores, so I went with TEA. Mike is great there. Can't go wrong with either.

And TEA Stage 2 will make more power.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I went with AI. Turn around time is slow. I think its been a lil over a month since mine have been sent off. I went with there 232cc package. I talked to AI and TEA before i chose. I went with AI bc it was cheaper and they seem to be able to make the same power with stock valves rather than bigger ones. I also wanted as much PTV clearance and compression with out flycutting the pistons. Another reason i chose to go with AI. Either one will do great work it just depends on what combo u plan to run and your needs.

Non the less it will make a killer setup when said and done. By the way someone has a set of Livernorise Stage 2 243 heads for sale for $950. If interested check out for sale section.

Last edited by brandon6.0; 06-07-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You may want to consider LS3 hollow stem valves as well. I've seen where TEA installs them and people have said they had a decent gain. You should talk to them about it.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by whatsa347
I'd skip it and run the PRC as cast 225's. nothing against tea or ai but you can't beat $1500 for an awesome set of aftermarket heads that run stock rockers. Why do you wanna buy 243 cores if you already have them? If you're dead set on porting them, I would go with tea just because of their turn around time and not dealing only in emails.
I want to keep the heads on my car so I can drive it until the new heads arrive and I swap them.

Originally Posted by maxpower_454
TEA - You can call them. Nuff Said.
LOL.

Originally Posted by Coonass350
I vote for AI..

Their heads/head work is starting to pop up pretty regular now and are laying down great #s. I will be going with their 226cc package with BTR springs. I talked to Phil a little while back and he recommended the BTR's. I would do either that or the PSI maxlife springs.

I dont really know what to tell you on compression, but Phil told me he would mill down to 58-59cc & shoot for the 11.3/11.5 area.
I am looking at the BTR springs also.

Originally Posted by ckpitt55
cam selection / phasing and the effect is has on DCR will determine what octane gas you need to run, your chamber size / SCR doesn't really tell the whole picture. look at a calculator and see where you'll be. if you're on the hairy edge, 0.040's will decrease you quench and make it more detonation resistant. decreasing quench is generally a good idea regardless though (provided you have the PTV to allow for it).
Link to calculator?

Originally Posted by redtan
If you already have the 243s why are you spending somewhere around $800 for another set of cores? If you don't want any down time, why not just buy some $400 used cores and have them sent directly to them?

With the cleaning and work done by either company, there's almost no reason to need new cores for twice the money you can get a good set of used ones for. Even AI says that after their work is done, the set of heads is just as good if not better than when they were brand spankin' new.
See above. Just avoiding down time.

Originally Posted by 97camaro383
I went with TEA because I like being able to call and actually talk to someone. Either way you'll get some really kickass heads!
Agreed.

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Have you checked out the AI Dart/RHS fully CNC'd 223cc heads? They are an aftermarket casting and are fully CNC'd by AI. The price includes the heads, port work, springs, valves, etc. I bought them and they are awesome heads. I just had them intalled, but don't have any dyno numbers yet. Phil says these heads are good for 10 to 15 hp over their CNC'd 232cc 243 heads.

On a side note, you say you already have 243 heads, so why not just save some money and ship them to either AI or TEA for the port work?
I am just trying to keep costs down and go with a 243 head. I am trying to avoid down time on the car.

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
I did TEA, because you can actually get them when you need to talk to them. Brian Tooley can do the same thing for you with extra hand porting. So if you have cores, I recommend him over either company. I didn't have cores, so I went with TEA. Mike is great there. Can't go wrong with either.

And TEA Stage 2 will make more power.
Any proof of tea making more power than ai?

Originally Posted by brandon6.0
I went with AI. Turn around time is slow. I think its been a lil over a month since mine have been sent off. I went with there 232cc package. I talked to AI and TEA before i chose. I went with AI bc it was cheaper and they seem to be able to make the same power with stock valves rather than bigger ones. I also wanted as much PTV clearance and compression with out flycutting the pistons. Another reason i chose to go with AI. Either one will do great work it just depends on what combo u plan to run and your needs.

Non the less it will make a killer setup when said and done. By the way someone has a set of Livernorise Stage 2 243 heads for sale for $950. If interested check out for sale section.
I am looking at 4-5 weeks with AI.

Originally Posted by Bill00Formula
You may want to consider LS3 hollow stem valves as well. I've seen where TEA installs them and people have said they had a decent gain. You should talk to them about it.
I will ask him.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't want down time I still vote the as cast PRC's, they've been laying down awesome numbers and only $1500, plus you get aftermarket heads and extra PTV and can run stock rockers.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

If you don't want down time I still vote the as cast PRC's, they've been laying down awesome numbers and only $1500, plus you get aftermarket heads and extra PTV and can run stock rockers.
X2!!!!!! PRC 225's... make the power you want NOW, with room for future growth.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by moge11
X2!!!!!! PRC 225's... make the power you want NOW, with room for future growth.
http://texas-speed.com/p-3515-prc-as...ral-heads.aspx

Are these the ones you are referring to? How would they compare to the ported 243's?
Old 06-07-2013, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

yep those... they will all be within a few HP of each other... BUT, the PRC 225's leave you room to grow.. they have a thicker deck for spray or boost later on, and can be ported later on for MUCH more HP... Basically, bolt them on now and gain your 40 hp.. then later when you want more, have them ported for ANOTHER 30-40hp.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:44 PM
10 Second Club

TEA all the way!! Mods in SIG. Numbers were on a Mustang dyno. Being able to talk with someone over the phone is a plus as well. If you want any more info, you can always shoot me a PM.

Good Luck.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

I found the build sheet for my motor.

These are the pistons I have.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mle-ls1340908f04

The piston is out of the block .015

This is my current head gasket.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cgt-c5475-051

From what I can tell with a stock 243 head and these pistons I would be at about a 10.53 to 1 compression ratio.

Last edited by slammin86; 06-07-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I guess I should add that I have callies/ compstar rods which are 6.125 long.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 882 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by FEAR LS
TEA all the way!! Mods in SIG. Numbers were on a Mustang dyno. Being able to talk with someone over the phone is a plus as well. If you want any more info, you can always shoot me a PM.

Good Luck.
Do you have a build thread and/or any track times?

Quick Reply: AI (Advanced induction) or TEA (Total engine airflow)...who and why...?