Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide: 228R or SNS Stage 2 Mild

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
The TSP 228R has def has some revisions over the years (since 2003)
THANK YOU. Someone figured it out. Mr. clever guy above wants you to believe otherwise and is basically calling a proven cam a dinosaur while somewhat throwing a subtle discredit to TSP in the process. Shame on you Jake.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FEAR LS
You'll be so sad if you don't go at least SNS Stage 2! (At least go SNS Stage 2 "Mild")

Martin is the "Go To" guy for cam selection. He interacts with the customer more than any one else I've ever seen, and carries a wealthy amount of knowledge that he isn't afraid to share!

I have the SNS Stage 2, and I currently reside in CA. Traffic doesn't get any worse! You'd be surprised how well that cam can be tuned.

Good Luck!
sent ya a PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
THANK YOU. Someone figured it out. Mr. clever guy above wants you to believe otherwise and is basically calling a proven cam a dinosaur while somewhat throwing a subtle discredit to TSP in the process. Shame on you Jake.
For the sake of further understanding when comparing these cams; what did the revisions consist of?

I'd like to know what's different now than when the cam was first offered. Did the changes impact peak or overall power, or was there another driver altogether.

Thanks,
Kerry
Old 07-05-2013, 05:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I've read so many threads here I wouldn't even begin to tell you a lie because I honestly can't remember exactly. The point being, as long as I've been here, TSP is the only vendor I've seen continue to show interest in the "older" designs. A cam is a cam is cam, to some degree. The flavor of the month guys love the cams with the fancy names or brand new specs, or the custom grind guys they are the worst. If you had each one post their exact specs you'd see that most are identical. Not discrediting the cam gurus, but honestly some grinds just work, so you use it again and again and again, I mean why the hell WOULDN'T you?? True story: Guy buys a Pat G cam, he gave me a chance to guess at the specs, I was pretty dang close in duration and lift. Installed it, motor pulled great, i rode in it several times. Guy was terrified to change one single thing on the car because then the cam wouldn't be "perfect" anymore. Stupid. Cams are some people's mythical creatures. To me, not so much.

I would address your question directly to TSP otherwise you're liable to get the above rambling. But, I'd be willing to bet, same engine, same day, TSPs equivalent cam to something like TR224 vs. 224R and the like, TSP comes out ahead every time.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree with 01ssreda4 to a degree.

Some people put way too much worry in cam choice when most of them end up at the same power level.

While there are a bunch of flavor of the month cams and names and what not it seems the common theme for an excellent driver cam with today's lobes and a quality tune is pretty standard (neighborhood of 230/234).

That being said the 228r was a top option last time I was hunting and a proven performer, just decided I wanted to go a little larger and this is what Geoff came up with for me. Went from a 230/224 cam and stock heads to 230/238 and mildly hand worked 799s (intake porting only) I gained 6 tenths. It's more about combo than tossing good parts together and the 228r seems to be easy to build around.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

228r will get the job done. No doubt.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

IMO, the XER lobes are proven power makers, but a lot of people really don't know there's other (possibly better) options available for their particular setup, and that lower lift doesn't naturally mean less aggressive lobes. I find that many people do themselves a disservice by not digging deeper and trying to grasp a better understanding of their available lobe options. The single pattern 228 cam will always be popular, just not always with xer lobes. TSP does offer lobes other than xer or lsk you just have to go with their custom cam menu, I've done this many times.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Teching In

I know Martin looks at these pages and I noticed that on the Tick web site the specs on the standard cam are exactly the same as the mild cam. This needs to be fixed. (7/7/13)

Tick Performance "SNS" torqueMAX Stage 1 Camshaft for LS1 & LS6 Engines
223/227 | .61x"/.61x" | LSA111+2 (milder: 223/227 | .61x"/.61x" | LSA111+2)

(milder should read: 222/226 | .59x"/.59x" |LSA111+2)

Tick Performance "SNS" torqueMAX Stage 2 Camshaft for LS1 & LS6 Engines
227/235 | .61x"/.62x" | LSA110+3 (milder: 227/235 | .61x"/.62x" | LSA110+3)

(milder should read: Not sure but less then std.

Danno74z
Old 07-07-2013, 04:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Danno,

I addressed that issue with our web guy last week. We've been out of the shop for the holidays and hopefully they will fix it soon.

I'd be willing to put the SNS Stage 2 up against the 228R any day of the week.

For the haters, that will look like I'm calling TSP out and that I'm discrediting their cams and what they've accomplished. To those that have a non clouted mind, it shows confidence in a product that I designed to out-perform all the other torque cams that have been the standard for 10 years. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel or use "flavor of the week" lobes. The lobes I use have been around for many years and aren't something I'm looking to make a guinea pig out of someone with.

If you want service, expertise, sound advice in other areas of your combination other than your cam...I can offer all of that and more. Not to mention a kick *** camshaft.

I am great friends with Aaron Shoaf outside of the internet and we converse a lot. I consider him a friend as I'd hope he does myself. I have no qualms with Texas Speed or any of their products. I felt it was necessary to mention that as some will try to twist my post into something that it is not.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Danno,

I addressed that issue with our web guy last week. We've been out of the shop for the holidays and hopefully they will fix it soon.

I'd be willing to put the SNS Stage 2 up against the 228R any day of the week.

For the haters, that will look like I'm calling TSP out and that I'm discrediting their cams and what they've accomplished. To those that have a non clouted mind, it shows confidence in a product that I designed to out-perform all the other torque cams that have been the standard for 10 years. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel or use "flavor of the week" lobes. The lobes I use have been around for many years and aren't something I'm looking to make a guinea pig out of someone with.

If you want service, expertise, sound advice in other areas of your combination other than your cam...I can offer all of that and more. Not to mention a kick *** camshaft.

I am great friends with Aaron Shoaf outside of the internet and we converse a lot. I consider him a friend as I'd hope he does myself. I have no qualms with Texas Speed or any of their products. I felt it was necessary to mention that as some will try to twist my post into something that it is not.
Thanks again for the input, Martin. After letting this thread run it's course and doing a little more research, I'm pretty certain that I will not be disappointed with the stage 2 mild. Honestly I probably wouldn't be disappointed with either cam, but the SNS seems to be the better choice. Match that with your reputation for great customer service and sound advice, and I'm sold. You can expect my order in the coming days.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:40 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm glad I could be of help.

Quick Reply: Help me decide: 228R or SNS Stage 2 Mild