Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

droping pan to get to O-ring?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default droping pan to get to O-ring?

How do you guys get enough room to drop the oil pan for o-ring replacement!
I can't get my pan to drop enough in the front. It hits the steering sector or the crossmember. It only comes down 1/2" or so! That is why I had trouble getting the o-ring in the first time. Any ideas?

I thought about jacking the engine up some?
Old 04-27-2004, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used the instructinos from ls1howto.com.....and they said just un bolt all the oil pan bolts, and pry it down a bit........i ahve done 2 pumps now, and it took about 35 minutes of fiddleing around with the pick up tube bolt (when putting it back together)

good luck
jimmy
Old 04-27-2004, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jimmy 2 Times
i used the instructinos from ls1howto.com.....and they said just un bolt all the oil pan bolts, and pry it down a bit........i ahve done 2 pumps now, and it took about 35 minutes of fiddleing around with the pick up tube bolt (when putting it back together)

good luck
jimmy

Yes, that is what I did the first time. But it ought to be a way to get more room. I am going to try an unbolt the passenger side motor mount and jack it up some to gain access. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:47 PM
TECH Regular

if the pan is sitting on the cross-member you should have room to do the o-ring change,worked ok for me,wrench on.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, I have room, but always room for more. Ha!

Yes I got the o-ring off, but I don't really see anything wrong. It has a very slight lip on one side I may have reversed it when I took it off the first time. Regardless, I have a new one coming tomorrow. There was no rtv on the block side of the pump spacers, and that may have been a large part of my problem also. We shall see. Tomorrow I will hopefully get it back together!
Old 04-27-2004, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can do it without even dropping the dam pan. Its a PITA but I dont understand why people have such a problem with it.

Leave the oil pump loose, put the o-ring on the pick up tube, slide it in the pump you will have to play with it to get it on, once the tube is in dont let it fall out the o-ring will shift and you will tear it when you tighten the bolt, take one pair of needle nose pliers and grap the tip of the bolt slid it in the hole a little bit, then take your second pair and grab closer to the head keep working it in, then grab it by the threads with the pliers and start to tighten it, then get you wrench and finish it off, tighten down the oil pump and button up the engine. I have did this in 3 hours flat, the enigine didnt even cool down all the way.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Shove a clean rag down in the pan under the crank to catch anything that might fall in there.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Deeavi
Yes, I have room, but always room for more. Ha!

Yes I got the o-ring off, but I don't really see anything wrong. It has a very slight lip on one side I may have reversed it when I took it off the first time. Regardless, I have a new one coming tomorrow. There was no rtv on the block side of the pump spacers, and that may have been a large part of my problem also. We shall see. Tomorrow I will hopefully get it back together!
on the right hand side pump spacer is there a UP AND A DOWN to this so as not to block the hole???? i can't recall and i sure hope i got it right,thks
Old 04-27-2004, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually I found that using a pen magnet to hold the bolt works for me. It is still a PITA, but It works. I just hope that the new o-ring and the rtv fixes the problem.