Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 LS2 cam in 03 Silverado SS

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 12:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 05 LS2 cam in 03 Silverado SS

I was basically given a stock cam and springs from my friends 05 GTO. My Silverado is all stock but I'm doing the water pump in it so figured since I'm here already I can put it in. I'm wondering if ill have any issues with the cam sensors or anything else when I do the install? I did some reading and was getting mixed signals if it was going to work or not.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will work just fine...ls1howto.com is great source with pictures and common issues...as far as taking the time to swap cams for that minimal of a gain, I would lean toward saying its not really worth it...you might as well get a real cam if you are goin to go through all that work bc you have to pull the balancer, timing cover, valve cover/compress springs, more than likely pull radiator so cam can come all the way out, move ac condenser out of the way...see where I'm going with this?
Old 07-10-2013, 01:02 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
It will work just fine...ls1howto.com is great source with pictures and common issues...as far as taking the time to swap cams for that minimal of a gain, I would lean toward saying its not really worth it...you might as well get a real cam if you are goin to go through all that work bc you have to pull the balancer, timing cover, valve cover/compress springs, more than likely pull radiator so cam can come all the way out, move ac condenser out of the way...see where I'm going with this?
I understand, but I figured for free I can't beat the bang for the buck. And I don't want to do a torque converter or rip up my tranny. The truck is all stock besides the cats being hollowed out. I just put a low mileage motor in. I was doing the work for a friend and ended up buying the truck.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in the same boat as you because I had a HO L33 5.3 and had a stock corvette cam laying around and threw it in but the difference is the fact my engine was on an engine stand already and I was refreshing it with new springs, lifters, and head gaskets anyway so in my case it I would say its worth it, but at the same time don't let me deter you from doing it just because "I" said so, too many people get caught up on comments posted in this site...it's YOUR vehicle/motor so do what YOU want because at the end of the day it's about making yourself happy not the ls1tech crowd, I take every "opinion" with a grain of salt that's for sure, you will always have good, bad, and regurgitated info that's the net...
But anyway good luck regardless of your choice...just have fun bc that's what it's all about man! And I hear you on the stall, I'd didn't even have one when I destroyed the forward sprag in my 4L60E and trannys are expensive!
Old 07-12-2013, 12:52 AM
Teching In

There is a small cam sensor issue that will need to be worked out. The cam sensor on a LS2 is located on the timing cover where as your sensor is currently located near the back of the block by the oil pressure sender. Here is a thread on the topic. It will tell you what you need:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ls1-motor.html

As for if it's worth it or not. I think it is. As long as you don't value your labor too highly. The parts needed to move the cam sensor can be had fairly cheap. Essentially just a cam sprocket and timing cover.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here are the cam specs.......waste of time if you ask me. You might gain 5hp.

6.0 LQ9
196/201 int/exh @ 0.050" duration
0.467" / 0.479" int/exh lift
116 LSA

LS2

204* /211* @ 0.050"- 0.525"/0.525" lift on 117.5*

Quick Reply: 05 LS2 cam in 03 Silverado SS