Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 zo6 crank walk????

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 zo6 crank walk????

Posting for a buddy...he went thru 3 clutches before he noticed he has crank walk...what can cause this car still drives with nothing weird going on but the clutch not ingauging...
If you look up z06 crank walk it comes up only 7 seconds long...thanks for Any help..
Old 07-14-2013, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Measure the crankshaft endplay if you think that is your problem.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:37 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Crank-walk... wow. Last time I heard that term I was searching for a 1g 6 bolt DSM block instead of building my 2g 7 bolt...
Old 07-14-2013, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Crank-walk... wow. Last time I heard that term I was searching for a 1g 6 bolt DSM block instead of building my 2g 7 bolt...
That's funny my buddy was a import guy before and said the same thing
Old 07-14-2013, 07:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lsxnotch
Posting for a buddy...he went thru 3 clutches before he noticed he has crank walk...what can cause this car still drives with nothing weird going on but the clutch not ingauging...
If you look up z06 crank walk it comes up only 7 seconds long...thanks for Any help..

Huh???..This ain't no 2JZ yo. "clutch not engaging," makes no sense. Clutch is always engaged. If the crank walks far enough for the clutch to always be disengaged, it has walked over 1/4"+. It would have to compress the PP fingers & have completely retracted the slave cylinder.

I don't doubt that he physically measured crank walk. I just doubt that it's moving that far without other internal engine damage. The thrust bearing is either damaged or thrust clearance was not initially measured & set up correctly. He needs to take it apart & look.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've read this before: On cold starts, you should always start the vehicle in neutral with your foot off the clutch. If you continually start a manual shift vehicle in gear with the clutch depressed, the (dry) thrust bearing being in a high-load situation with zero lubrication, will eat itself up.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S10xGN
I've read this before: On cold starts, you should always start the vehicle in neutral with your foot off the clutch. If you continually start a manual shift vehicle in gear with the clutch depressed, the (dry) thrust bearing being in a high-load situation with zero lubrication, will eat itself up.
I haven't been able to start a manual transmission car that was made less than 25 years ago without depressing the clutch in neutral or in gear. The clutch position sensor won't let you start the engine without the clutch depressed. In my old 55 chevy and 59 ford pickups I could crank them over, in gear with my foot off the clutch and the starter would yank the truck forward. I can only assume I misunderstood your post and what you are trying to say (wouldn't be the first time I didn't read something correct), and I hope that is the case.

OP: Has that motor ever been torn down? I can't imagine that it just randomly started dropping clutches one day unless something changed in the setup.

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 07-14-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Huh???..This ain't no 2JZ yo. "clutch not engaging," makes no sense. Clutch is always engaged. If the crank walks far enough for the clutch to always be disengaged, it has walked over 1/4"+. It would have to compress the PP fingers & have completely retracted the slave cylinder.

I don't doubt that he physically measured crank walk. I just doubt that it's moving that far without other internal engine damage. The thrust bearing is either damaged or thrust clearance was not initially measured & set up correctly. He needs to take it apart & look.
He went thru two stock clutches...then went with a twin disk mcleod and now it won't engaged enough for him to go thru the gears....car has 90k miles and has never been apart..he says he can grab the pulley and move the crank back n forth ...you can see in the video..
Just tryna see what it can be before we pull to get a idea...thanks
Old 07-15-2013, 12:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
I haven't been able to start a manual transmission car that was made less than 25 years ago without depressing the clutch in neutral or in gear. The clutch position sensor won't let you start the engine without the clutch depressed. In my old 55 chevy and 59 ford pickups I could crank them over, in gear with my foot off the clutch and the starter would yank the truck forward. I can only assume I misunderstood your post and what you are trying to say (wouldn't be the first time I didn't read something correct), and I hope that is the case.

OP: Has that motor ever been torn down? I can't imagine that it just randomly started dropping clutches one day unless something changed in the setup.
Never been touched besides a cam but pan has never been off block....90k on motor...
Old 07-15-2013, 09:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lsxnotch
He went thru two stock clutches...then went with a twin disk mcleod and now it won't engaged enough for him to go thru the gears....car has 90k miles and has never been apart..he says he can grab the pulley and move the crank back n forth ...you can see in the video..
Just tryna see what it can be before we pull to get a idea...thanks

Got to pull engine. Post pics. Have never seen a thrust bearing jacked up to that level.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought You said there was a video,,,,,,,,,,,,remember in school whenever there was a video everyone kinda woke up only to kinda take a little nap once the lights went down ,,,,,,,,ha ha ha ,,,,,,,so where's our video ????

ryridesmotox ,,,,I imagine He's dropping clutches because He's young and racing anything and everything and even when nobody else is around

Last edited by chrisfrost; 07-15-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox

No, you didn't misunderstand me. I definitely read that somewhere and (of course) cannot find it now. I forget ya'll drive new junk with interlocks on everything. I prefer old junk and am sometimes prone to flashing back a few decades without thinking. Sucks to get old, I don't recommend it at all. BTW, I've never had a car move while starting it in neutral with the clutch out. If you did, something was definitely maladjusted.

Back to the topic at hand, dry-starting a loaded thrust bearing will damage it. Doesn't seem like there's an elegant solution around it though... Best advice is to add some pressure feed grooves to oil the thrust (at least the rear face) while running if not already there.

http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=1656
http://www.genepop.com/2012/01/Cause...aring-Failure/

First couple Google links seem to blame poor machiining/installation or a "misplaced foot" for the majority of wear issues...
Old 07-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Got to pull engine. Post pics. Have never seen a thrust bearing jacked up to that level.
Pulling engine is next move so I will post pics once done....
Old 07-15-2013, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chrisfrost
I thought You said there was a video,,,,,,,,,,,,remember in school whenever there was a video everyone kinda woke up only to kinda take a little nap once the lights went down ,,,,,,,,ha ha ha ,,,,,,,so where's our video ????

ryridesmotox ,,,,I imagine He's dropping clutches because He's young and racing anything and everything and even when nobody else is around
I do all my posting thru phone so not sure how to upload but did say on first post to look it up on YouTube..under crankwalk on my z06.....he bought the cat with 70k miles on it and it now has 90k....even if we are dumb little kids like you say to go thru three clutches with just a baby cam ain't rite...old man.....
Old 07-15-2013, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Crank endplay should be .004-.008. At .040, or 5 times the maximum allowed, the crank counter-weights are rubbing the block itself. Lots of things can cause this issue, getting ready to do some reading.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, you didn't misunderstand me. I definitely read that somewhere and (of course) cannot find it now. I forget ya'll drive new junk with interlocks on everything. I prefer old junk and am sometimes prone to flashing back a few decades without thinking. Sucks to get old, I don't recommend it at all. BTW, I've never had a car move while starting it in neutral with the clutch out. If you did, something was definitely maladjusted.

Back to the topic at hand, dry-starting a loaded thrust bearing will damage it. Doesn't seem like there's an elegant solution around it though... Best advice is to add some pressure feed grooves to oil the thrust (at least the rear face) while running if not already there.
I think you're lost in more ways than one. We're talking about a C5 Z06, not some 40 year old POS. You start it in any gear you like, as long as the clutch pedal is depressed. I what you suggest were true, EVERY manual trans vehicle built in the last few decades would have premature engine failures - all 20+ million of them
Old 07-16-2013, 08:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
I think you're lost in more ways than one. We're talking about a C5 Z06, not some 40 year old POS. You start it in any gear you like, as long as the clutch pedal is depressed. I what you suggest were true, EVERY manual trans vehicle built in the last few decades would have premature engine failures - all 20+ million of them
Yup, lost in the 60's... And this is exactly why I like "some 40 year old POS", I can work on it when needed instead of dropping a few grand at a shop every time something craps out. But, I guess if ya had $70G to drop on a big fine "C5 Z06" ya prolly wouldn't be too worried about dropping cash on repairs. Hmmm, maybe that's why I could afford to retire at 57... Happy days, bro!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Try 20k (they were mid 40s new iirc)... We are talking c5z here not a brand new c6z.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

but a c5z is worth like 25k tops.

Last edited by fruitsalad; 07-16-2013 at 10:46 PM. Reason: didn't refresh before posting :(
Old 07-17-2013, 02:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

BTW, I've never had a car move while starting it in neutral with the clutch out. If you did, something was definitely maladjusted.
Nope, not maladjusted, just starting it in gear... Which is not ideal lol, and most likely the reason they put the clutch sensors in to keep you from starting it without your left foot on something. I remember a night me and my cousins were drinking after harvest before I went back home to San Diego, and I about put a pickup through the side of a barn lol. Too much whiskey, not enough sense.

OP, did he get the motor torn down yet to inspect to see what kind of damage (if any) has been done to the block? If it is that far out of spec some bad **** could be going on there.

Quick Reply: 02 zo6 crank walk????