Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ9 370CI MS4 PRC 5.3 Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 08:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice setup...but I keep reading that Monster Clutches are great for the price. Based on your setup (take with a grain of salt) you may want to look into a Monster.

Also, LMK how you like the Rockland Tranzilla. I might be able to buy a beat up T56 from a family friend with the idea of sending the trans to Rockland for the Tranzilla upgrades.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Old 07-24-2013, 10:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

I will probably do it if i see issues with the ls7, i have to fluff up my account again

Buy it and send it as a core they will send you one already rebuilt. I went down there dropped mine off and took the new one home at the same time. Could not have been easier. Helps alot that its right down the road from me
Old 07-24-2013, 10:48 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Nice setup. Should make good torque with the 5.3L heads on a 4" bore.

And the MS4 has good valve events for a 370. I prefer something like it on a 370 vs a 346.

Just watch your springs with the LSK lobes.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Car is running and at home (bringing it to work tomorrow to align it)

Excitor wire opened/broke in the harness somewhere, bought a new connector and ran my own wire

trans hits the floor possible due to the solid motor mounts raising the engine, Unsure of why it changed so much (checked pinion angle though) still ok

Rear main seal appears to be leaking even with a new seal 8/ May end up pulling trans after the tune and install a new cover with gasket

Started right up though and sounds like a monster. Can't wait to really get to drive this thing

Car also got a new rack, outer tie rods, starter and alternator.

Now jsut to address this what seems like super common rear main leak with GM's new gaskets

But for everything that was replaced I don't think its that bad
Old 08-03-2013, 06:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

glad to hear you got it running!

How did you align the rear main seal during installation? There are a few different options for tools, I managed to use only straightedge's per the Potak book instructions, and I don't have any leaks there.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Been on vacation and haven't had much time for the car but....

I used the sac city corvette alignment tool, but my rear main or rear cover is leaking right now, trans will be coming out next weekend to get replaced with a new (cover gasket, bolt and rear seal) kits from GM 71$ bought it an hour ago, in stock, for the kit with the seal installed

Injectors were also maxed out at 104% duty cycle at 6200 rpm, also upgrading to a 85mm MAF while im at it.

For the time being we just did driveability. Which will have to be redone for the new injectors.

Got bosch 42lb/hr green style injectors. Hopefully I can make some money back from the red ones.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

help me get his baby road worthy. Can't figure out the noise

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...p-reached.html
Old 11-04-2013, 08:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Tapping noise si finally gone and allowed me to blow some more money.
Still waiting on the new throttle cable to eliminate traction control. Tuning will be done on Saturday. Couldn't finish last time since at WOT the injectors were maxing out

The billet throttle is absolutely gorgeous and comes in a nice blown plastic case similar to handguns

Removed the second air system, it was deactivated and the new FTP lid isn't going to be and isn't cut for it.

Removed the traction control since I put the direct cable. Seems a little snappier. Maybe there was some unwanted slack or just because of pure length to the TC motor.

Removed cruise control since that hasn't worked in 50k

Still a lot of cleaning to do in there. Thinking about buying another harness and putting all new connectors and taking out what Isn't used anymore. May gut the glove box and move the PCM into there. A lot of ideas going through my head to make it nice

Car has also been tuned now but we are running out of fuel so a new walbro pump is ordered
Old 11-04-2013, 09:47 AM
KCS

Received 313 Likes on 211 Posts

How much power were you making on the last dyno session?
Old 11-04-2013, 09:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

What do you mean

The car has yet to be dyno'd with the LQ9 in the car, we have been doing a street tune and getting driveability dialed in.

Won't be dyno'd till the new fuel pump is installed
Old 11-04-2013, 10:16 AM
KCS

Originally Posted by MyFirstLS1
What do you mean

The car has yet to be dyno'd with the LQ9 in the car, we have been doing a street tune and getting driveability dialed in.

Won't be dyno'd till the new fuel pump is installed
Gotcha. I thought you were on the dyno when you found out the pump wasn't keeping up.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

We just couldn't get the a/f we were looking for and I know its a stock pump so its about that time lol
Old 11-04-2013, 10:41 AM
KCS

Originally Posted by MyFirstLS1
We just couldn't get the a/f we were looking for and I know its a stock pump so its about that time lol
Yeah, I suppose I ought to do the same. I have a 376ci iron block in my Trans Am and it hadn't shown any signs of the fuel pump struggling, but I haven't gone over 5000RPM under load yet. It's coming apart to do the clutch so I might as well.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would if I were you. I would of had no idea if it wasn't for the lap top

To my knowledge I have 130k on that stock pump. No idea if it was replaced before I bought the car

But........... When we were hittting 6-7.3k the alternator was barely pushing battery voltage. He was telling me something about doing truck alternators. So I have to look into that as well.

So i don't know if the pump was struggling due to a lack of power (voltage) or because it just physically can't move the fuel it needs to

I can hook my mecahincal gauge up and read physical fuel pressure but it still may not have the volume. Peace of mind 198 for the kit its going in.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have been thinking of removing my traction control and cruise control, how easy was it with everything in the car and what parts did you use (just a throttle cable from a car without?)
Old 11-04-2013, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

If ordered the cable from tick performance, they have it listed on there website,

It is ridiculously easy.

Remove under panel to access the top of the accelerator pedal. squeeze the clip at the firewall from inside the car and it pushes threw and its almost directly to the left of your brake booster.

pull it all the way out and through then disconnect the harness at the TC. The cruise control you have to get from underneath. It is right above your AIR pump.

It's really simple. Only bad part is that the "ASR" light is always on now since I disconnected the connector. There might be a way to short it out to shut it off or you can modify the cluster by opening the circuit to the light on the circuit board
Old 11-04-2013, 06:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got it! My dash is already like a Christmas tree with abs disabled and running a drag setup. Thanks
Old 11-04-2013, 09:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

no problem man. I'm gonna end up taking out the bulb if I could otherwise a razor will do the trick

The throttle response alone was worth it for me the cleaning up of the engine bay was just a bonus
Old 11-23-2013, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Did you ever get your 370 dyno'd? Wondering what the torque curve looked like?

Quick Reply: LQ9 370CI MS4 PRC 5.3 Build