Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summit Racing 6.0 LS Block

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 01:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd say go for it and get one, but check and measure it really good before you do anything with it. If there are issues, Summit will stand behind their product.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, also realized my GTO's drive belt assembly won't bolt up to this block too needs new holes drilled?
Old 01-19-2014, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

My understanding is these blocks from summit are actually done by ATK Performance. Summit just re-sells them. If you got to ATK's website http://high-performance-engines.com/...duct_Code=13G8 you'll see they have the same block and sell it for 50 dollars less then summit ask for. Plus shipping is cheaper. How do I know? I just bought one from Brandon (user name Notalent) he's a service manager for ATK and he has a post listed here with details: https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...ort-block.html

he offers a 5% discount for LS1tech members. My block is coming in this morning so I'll post pics later to compare.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Werewolf SS
Brandon (user name Notalent) he's a service manager for ATK and he has a post listed here with details: https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...ort-block.html
for some reason i can not post on that thread....wanted to ask Brandon what the part number is for the the oversized pistons he posted about.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Hey everyone,
My bare block from ATK Performance (User "Notalent") arrived today.
I must say I was very pleased with the total transaction as a whole. I called Brandon at ATK on Wed. last week (1/15/14) and ordered a Lq4 bare block. It arrived today via freight delivery.

Block arrived well packaged. I had already opened it up to verify contents before taking this pic.

Again, very well packaged.

Block itself looks great. Bores are clean and block itself appears in great shape. Gave it a good solid look over. New cam bearings and oil galley plugs check.

Again, well packaged, well shipped, and the block looks to be in great shape. I don't have a bore dial to check the .30 over bore yet though. But I have no doubt it was done correctly. Again, very well done for ATK. Now to start building my 408.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:27 PM
Launching!

sweet man, what pistons, rods and crank are you using for your 408?
Old 02-01-2014, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Sure all info on my build is here. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...408-build.html
Old 02-01-2014, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks nice. I'd measure everything before putting parts in it. I'm sure everything is kosher, but never hurts to make sure.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got burned on one of these junk blocks.

I rec'd the block and dropped it off at machine shop to have it drilled & tapped for 1/2" head studs and 11mm main studs also. $450 of work later I get it back to discover the thrust bearing had been worn through and the crank cut into the block and main cap rendering the block useless. Summit will not cover the $$ I am out for the machine work just refund the block $$. Also the main caps were run across a belt sander instead of being ground, and the caps were scratched & beat up on the ID from the hold-down bar, the main hone should have been the last process done.

Stay away from these blocks is all I can say!!

Summit won't be getting another dollar from me ever after this!
Old 03-04-2014, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Ummm, don't want to come off rude or anything but why didn't you inspect the block fully before having any machine work done? Or as from what I gathered you bought a short block not a bare block which leads to the question, why didn't the machine shop catch this before doing all the work in that area?
Old 03-04-2014, 11:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 99APSSS
I just got burned on one of these junk blocks.

I rec'd the block and dropped it off at machine shop to have it drilled & tapped for 1/2" head studs and 11mm main studs also. $450 of work later I get it back to discover the thrust bearing had been worn through and the crank cut into the block and main cap rendering the block useless. Summit will not cover the $$ I am out for the machine work just refund the block $$. Also the main caps were run across a belt sander instead of being ground, and the caps were scratched & beat up on the ID from the hold-down bar, the main hone should have been the last process done.

Stay away from these blocks is all I can say!!

Summit won't be getting another dollar from me ever after this!
that sucks man. I wouldn't trust one of these blocks as far as I could throw one.

That being said, on a side note, the main hone is always the first process done in machining. All other measurements are based off the crank centerline
Old 03-05-2014, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Werewolf SS
Ummm, don't want to come off rude or anything but why didn't you inspect the block fully before having any machine work done? Or as from what I gathered you bought a short block not a bare block which leads to the question, why didn't the machine shop catch this before doing all the work in that area?
Excellent points . . . The machine shop should have caught any problems.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The one thing I got from this thread was the old "unless it costs more, it's crap" mantra ( similar to "anything but AFR heads suck" ) . . . That's not always true.

With a thorough checkout, this block sounds like a good way to go for people building their own motors on a tight budget.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:22 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Werewolf SS & ez2cdave The "Machine Shop" is just that a machine shop, they are not an engine shop, an engine shop doesn't have a $125k horizontal boring machine to do the job I had done, I have been quoted by Engine builders $800 and up to do what I had done for $450 on the proper piece of equipment, and probably a lot quicker turn around than an engine builder.

The bottom line is I am not paid by Summit to perform their quality control, nor should I have to pay someone else to do it for me, that is why I bought a finished product from a supposedly reputable vendor.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:38 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fri Guy
Has anyone used one of the Summit Racing 6.0 Bare Blocks?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-150105/
Not sure if this has been said already because I'm too lazy to read through the whole thread, but Jegs has some LSx crate engine options that are awesome. My LS3 with the Hot Cam (219/228 @ 112) came installed in the motor and also has a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty from GM (has to be installed by a reputable shop though).
Old 03-05-2014, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z28SSilvest
3 year/36,000 mile warranty from GM (has to be installed by a reputable shop though).
Who determines what a "reputable shop" is, for GM to honor the warranty ?
Old 03-05-2014, 02:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ez2cdave
Who determines what a "reputable shop" is, for GM to honor the warranty ?
A certified shop. Who GM can go to complain in case something ***** up and you go to GM complaining about a warranty.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ez2cdave
who determines what a "reputable shop" is, for gm to honor the warranty ?
gm...
Old 03-05-2014, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

I used the Summit block when I built my 408. No complaints here, I would'nt hesitate to buy another one.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just wanted to post my experience with this Summit Iron Block.

First off, I'd like to say Thank You to Oscar and Summit Racing for the OUTSTANDING customer service. I've always purchased my stuff from the local store here in Reno. Never had an issue that wasn't easily resolved. I will always do business with Summit Racing.

I bought this block about a year ago and didn't get to work on it until about 2 months ago. I put the Bore Dial Gauge to the Cylinders and found that NONE of them came in at 4.030". They all ranged from 4.0260" - 4.0280". None of them were consistent at all. With the engine still sitting on the crate, the cylinders were out of round. They were completely warped, and had inconsistencies between the top and bottom of each bore.
They're also advertised as having NEW Cam bearings installed. Not mine. Not even close. (However, the one recently aired on Power Nation DID have New Cam Bearings) go figure...

I also purchased a set of Wiseco pistons for a 4.030" bore prior to checking this block. And although Summit offered to buy back or swap out the block, I decided to take it to my local machine shop to get the cylinders honed to the correct size, check the line hone and install NEW Cam Bearings. I'll be picking it up this afternoon.

Anyways,
I just wanted to post my experience with this block. Hopefully the shortblock assemblies coming out of ATK aren't built on these foundations/specs.

Quick Reply: Summit Racing 6.0 LS Block