Sponsored by:

LS2 .... Where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 07:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 .... Where to start?

[I posted this in the Gen IV Forum, but it was suggested it goes here....]

Sorry if kinda basic question, but looking for advice on where to start to LEARN what to do with the LS2 that is in my SSR. I want to understand what I should be looking at to improve the performance and why, so more just saying 'this intake/ that cam/ etc'. That type of information is appreciated, but if I don't know why it makes sense I will be always doubting myself on the selections made.

With a curb weight of 4700 pounds I understand there are going to be limitations to what is feasible and what is realistic on the budget. I plan to do the mods myself, and want to keep it naturally asperated. As reference it has a T56 and I am planning to swap from 3.73 to 4.56 rear.

Objectives are to improve 0-60 times while keeping it something that can be driven at low speeds as well as highway. Hopefully this is not too much to ask?

Thanks guys!
Old 08-24-2013, 08:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 57ssr
[I posted this in the Gen IV Forum, but it was suggested it goes here....]

Sorry if kinda basic question, but looking for advice on where to start to LEARN what to do with the LS2 that is in my SSR. I want to understand what I should be looking at to improve the performance and why, so more just saying 'this intake/ that cam/ etc'. That type of information is appreciated, but if I don't know why it makes sense I will be always doubting myself on the selections made.

With a curb weight of 4700 pounds I understand there are going to be limitations to what is feasible and what is realistic on the budget. I plan to do the mods myself, and want to keep it naturally asperated. As reference it has a T56 and I am planning to swap from 3.73 to 4.56 rear.

Objectives are to improve 0-60 times while keeping it something that can be driven at low speeds as well as highway. Hopefully this is not too much to ask?

Thanks guys!

I have an ls2 gto and did a fast 102 intake manifold/cold air intake, long tube headers and bigger injectors to flow more air and fuel into my motor. We put down 449 rwhp with bolt ons and a cam and its great for all around driving
Old 08-24-2013, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4.56 gears will have your rpms close to like 3,000 at 60mph...def not highway friendly
Old 08-24-2013, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

So this will be a weekend/summer toy type of ride then?
Old 08-24-2013, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you really want to know the whys and the wherefores, then I strongly suggest you talk to Martin @ Tick performance. He explains better than anyone else.

It sounds like you want a NA car that has all-around performance and good manners. The tried and true method is to start with an aftermarket camshaft. Given your weight and the fact that low-speed driveability is important to you, you're going to want a medium to smaller sized cam, something from 228 or smaller intake duration. You're going to want a big split on the exhaust duration to bring the torque curve down and keep it going longer. The LSA is down to what you can tolerate in terms of chop/lope. Are you looking for stock style sound or do you want / are you willing to tolerate a modded sound? A cam like mine (228/236 111+3) or smaller will give you lots of torque that comes on early and stick around, but you will give up a little peak HP. I dynoed about 400 before installing by FAST 102 intake. Though I would probably cracked 410-420 with a bigger cam, I don't miss it at all because my torque is close to peak output by 3500 RPM and stays up there all day long. My ride isn't quite as heavy as yours, so you will probably want something a little smaller to get it going.

Keep in mind that what I've just written is from the perspective of an informed layman. People like Martin, Brian Tooley, Ed Curtis and our own PredatorZ can think about specific valve timing and come up with precise recommendations given your setup.

After the cam, the next step is usually a good set of heads. The LS2 intake is also known to be restrictive. If you can find a LS6 intake, it will be worth it.

I also agree with the other poster that 3.73 gears are already good for your setup.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
4.56 gears will have your rpms close to like 3,000 at 60mph...def not highway friendly
Here are the ratios in the trans:

So I am pretty confident at 70MPH on the highway I will be moving from 2000 to 2500 RPM, so that is not a concern.

3.73 Stock shift points at WOT:
1-2 @ 45 mph
2-3 @ 85 mph

4.56 shift points at WOT:
1-2 @ 36 mph
2-3 @ 68 mph

Originally Posted by DACTARI
It sounds like you want a NA car that has all-around performance and good manners. The tried and true method is to start with an aftermarket camshaft. Are you looking for stock style sound or do you want / are you willing to tolerate a modded sound?
I am definitely not planning for this to appear stock and would like a modded sound, in fact hoping for it to be similar to the C7 with the active exhaust. :- )
Old 08-24-2013, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go with 4.11 before 4.56, but that overdrive is pretty stout...4.11 more popular with the 6 speed
Old 08-24-2013, 12:57 PM
TECH Regular

4700lbs where the hell did they fit it? is the frame made of lead?
Old 08-24-2013, 01:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Forgot to say, but I assume you are already going to do a cold air intake and headers, correct? How well you can get your motor to breathe will affect cam choice.

Based on your description so far, I think a cam like the Tick Torquemax Stage 1 for LS6 would be right up your alley. http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...1-ls6-engines/

But I would be curious to see what other recommend. This is a really heavy automobile.

Last edited by DACTARI; 08-24-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
I would go with 4.11 before 4.56, but that overdrive is pretty stout...4.11 more popular with the 6 speed
The guys on the SSR site seem to favor the 4.10 if they put on a Magnacharger otherwise they are running 4.56. I figure I would rather put the money in the motor than on it!

Originally Posted by sick_tight
4700lbs where the hell did they fit it? is the frame made of lead?
Well it has a full ladder frame basically shared with the Trailblazer EXT, plus a 9.5" 14 bolt rear axle, plus the top and mechanism is reportedly around 700 pounds..... it is NOT a lightweight!

Originally Posted by DACTARI
Forgot to say, but I assume you are already going to do a cold air intake and headers, correct? How well you can get your motor to breathe will affect cam choice.
Already have a K&N Cold Air, and plan on OBX headers to a true dual exhaust, though not sure what/ if the mufflers may be.

Last edited by 57ssr; 08-25-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:41 PM
Teching In

duplicate

Last edited by 57ssr; 03-18-2014 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Well guys I am back! Actually waiting for it to get warmer and trying to figure out the next steps.

I swapped out the gears to 4.56 and noticed a big difference off the line, so that was a very nice change. Speedo is off, so that is either something I will have to deal with [memorize the offset/ run Torque Pro] or get fixed with a tune.

So question now is where to go next. I am going to swap out the existing oil pan to a C6 to prevent starvation, as the existing pan is known for that, but unsure where to go from there. Struggle with the idea of cam swap on an engine with 11k miles, and prefer to think headers/ dual exhaust might be next followed by intake and then tune? Some advice that 'since you have the pan off....' that ranges from change the rod bolts, to now is the time to toss in a cam, and such...

Not at all worried about numbers, instead looking to just make it go within reason as a NA vehicle that if need be could make a cross country trek.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 57ssr
Already have a K&N Cold Air, and plan on OBX headers to a true dual exhaust, though not sure what/ if the mufflers may be.
True duals will sound badass. A lot of people go with the Sweet Thunder mufflers

Quick Reply: LS2 .... Where to start?