Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cats are shot, time to upgrade to long-tubes but need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 05:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is crazy. I've been dealing WITH THIS EXACT ISSUE on an off for 2 years. Goes away for months at a time and then....bam....back. This morning I practically gave up on starting, but luckily it caught. I'm going to try this tonight and see tomorrow. Thank you all VERY MUCH as I was on my way after work to take this to a shop. Sounds like this might save me a huge bill.

Did this yesterday (took all of 3 minutes) and today it started right up! I'm not going to call it a sure thing yet (want another 3-4 starts to be totally confident) but it's looking good so far. Also wanted to mention it might be wise (unless these relays are really cheap) to mark the ignition relay one before removing it in some fashion (piece of tape or mark it somehow), since I'm 90% sure that is the culprit and not the starter relay (since most of us can easily hear the starter trying to get the engine going). I didn't do that and so now have to either play the trial and error game, or just buy 2 relays. Again if these are a buck a piece to replace it's worthwhile to replace a couple of them, if expensive save yourself the trouble and mark the Ignition first.

Still interested in my earlier questions getting answered if anyone can help (reposted here):

-Does anyone have the part number for replacement oxygen sensors?

-Anyone have recommendations on replacement motor and tranny mounts? This is my daily driver so nothing that could really increase cabin noise if possible but I'd rather not just buy the first thing I find if you have a better recommendation.

-Does deleting EGR and AIR (or just EGR and leaving AIR) make sense? I'm just worried about emissions since I'll be most likely doing the mail-order FROST tune and not getting it professionally done on a dyno with wide-band O2 tuning. I hate the thought of exhaust gas and oil going back into the intake, but don't want to risk it if it will make it less likely that I can pass emissions testing.

Thanks again guys!
Old 09-25-2013, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am essentially in a similar situation as you as my cats will not reset to the ready status. I initial failed my PA emission inspection, because the computer had two systems (Evac and Cats) as not ready. I have never got my Cats to be ready, but I did get the Evac to work. As this is a 2002 Camaro, they passed you if you have no more than 1 system not ready. I am also looking for LT headers with Cats, but if you disable the rear O2 and the Air/ERG, that will leave you with 2 systems not ready and you will not pass in PA. Good luck. It will be interesting to find out what you decide to do. So far I have not come up will any good options.
John
Old 09-26-2013, 07:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jmmcamaro2002
I am essentially in a similar situation as you as my cats will not reset to the ready status. I initial failed my PA emission inspection, because the computer had two systems (Evac and Cats) as not ready. I have never got my Cats to be ready, but I did get the Evac to work. As this is a 2002 Camaro, they passed you if you have no more than 1 system not ready. I am also looking for LT headers with Cats, but if you disable the rear O2 and the Air/ERG, that will leave you with 2 systems not ready and you will not pass in PA. Good luck. It will be interesting to find out what you decide to do. So far I have not come up will any good options.
John
Thanks for the reply. So it sounds like I should probably keep the AIR/EGR system since I'm getting the rear O2's deleted from my tune after header install...

And 2 mornings so far of no starting issues. Seems the simple relay fix did the job and has me much more comfortable now spending big $$$ on headers. I was worried I would do that and then find out something was seriously wrong with the engine/electrical system and have wasted money. <$10 for the new relays will be a piece of cake!
Old 09-28-2013, 08:12 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

You should pass the sniffer. Unless you have a cam in there; then it becomes dicey.

Quick Reply: Cats are shot, time to upgrade to long-tubes but need help