Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I degree my cam w/o the proper length pushrods?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I degree my cam w/o the proper length pushrods?

I'm in the middle of a heads & cam install and I still need to measure my push rod length and then degree the cam. Once I get the push rods measured, it's going to be a few days before the new one arrive and I'm wondering if I can degree the cam using either the stock push rods (which may be the wrong length) or my push rod length checker.

I haven't looked over the instructions on how to degree the cam in awhile so I'm not sure how that goes down. I do have a pair of checker springs on the heads right now.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Uh....u dont use push rods for that. Your dial gauge will contact the lifter directly.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Teching In

Thanks! I couldn't remember if that was how it was done. I was about to put my new Cloyes hex-a-just cam gears on and then read how to degree the cam, but then I got worrying that I wouldn't be able to degree it without the push rods.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
WRONG information.

I wanna see you try to get the dial indicator down to reach the lifter without a pushrod. You can use any length pushrod, you are measuring the movement of the lifter on the cam lobe. Thats why you reset your dial indicator.

Make sure the lifter is on the cam's base circle. Put the pushrod in the solid lifter cup, then set your dial on the tip of the pushrod in the oil hole at the angle.
Pretty simple really. A decent dial indicator should have extensions for the point. The one I used did, but it was quite expensive. Which I wouldn't expect everyone to have access to, so a pushrod would need to be used. But it can be done.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

here is how I did it with cheap tools from Jegs. Any pushrod will work. If your heads are already on, then obviously it will be different from these pics.

find TDC for cylinder #1 first.

then you can plot the cam lobes.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

WRONG information.

I wanna see you try to get the dial indicator down to reach the lifter without a pushrod. You can use any length pushrod, you are measuring the movement of the lifter on the cam lobe. Thats why you reset your dial indicator.

Make sure the lifter is on the cam's base circle. Put the pushrod in the solid lifter cup, then set your dial on the tip of the pushrod in the oil hole at the angle.
I did it with an extension on the dial indicator.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i used one of the short head studs

you can use whatever you want op so long as it gives you stable / repeatable measurements.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take an old lifter and weld a bolt on the end. Then you can put your dial indicator on the end of the bolt when the lifter is in the bore. Simple and easy!
Old 09-03-2013, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

WRONG information.

Well I got the pictures to prove it, I will post them up later. Dont be ghetto and use a push rod, use the correct tool for the job, you need the dial indicator extension that comes with most cam degree kits. Do your homework first and dont put out bad info.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If the heads are still on the motor, you can use a piston stop to find TDC. You just need to install the piston stop, rotate the crank until the piston hits the piston stop, and set the zero on the timing wheel. From there, rotate the engine backwards until you hit the stop a second time, and take a reading from the degree wheel. TDC is half whatever the degree wheel reading is.

Remove piston stop and rotate engine to the calculated TDC value. Reset zero on the degree wheel pointer.

You can make a piston stop out of an old spark plug and bolt. Pictures here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post17541521
Old 09-03-2013, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by schnellttz06
Well I got the pictures to prove it, I will post them up later. Dont be ghetto and use a push rod, use the correct tool for the job, you need the dial indicator extension that comes with most cam degree kits. Do your homework first and dont put out bad info.
I actually think using a pushrod on the lifter has some advantages.

When measuring the closing side of the lobe, the lifter can get hung up in the lifter bore because the force from the dial indicator pushing it back down is so small. With a pushrod, you have plenty of space to grab the pushrod and push the lifter back down to resume contact with the cam lobe.

Also, the oem pushrods have a perfect cup at the top for holding the dial indicator probe. The other end of the pushrod is a natural fit with the lifter obviously.

Its like anything else, there are plenty of ways to get it done right. Very interested to see your pictures that you mentioned.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Yup, try to put them up later. True, many ways to do something, but doesn't make it optimal. I personally do not like to add variables that can skew results.

Quick Reply: Can I degree my cam w/o the proper length pushrods?