Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TTiX Twin Turbo build options

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 04:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TTiX Twin Turbo build options

looking for a solid 800-900 at the tire. I currently have an LS6 with forged internals 8.5-1, h beam rods (not sure what type). engine has a pronounced tapping noise between idle and 1800 but goes away at around 2k knock is much worse under load (it's in a 2003 Z06 vette with automatic conversion)

considering a few options and need some advice

rebuild the engine with the darton sleeves

go with an iron block and transfer my stuff over

new short block

also looking at LS9 blocks as I might be able to get one

leaning towards getting a complete iron short block as I think it would hold up a bit better and allow me to reuse or sell my existing short block after freshening up

my current engine has a nice turbo cam (not sure of specs) AFR 225 heads, roller rockers, LS6 intake, bigger throttle body

I'd probably like to reuse the top end of the engine that I have. I'm going with some big 129 lb Bosch injectors and a haltech engine management system to control both the injectors and the Alchy injection system (the haltech will control both with the wideband & tuning, should be trick!!!)

this will be a fun project.

before I decide on the approach ECS will be tearing down the current engine to see what's wrong, (might be an EZ fix)

just exploring options and getting advice at this point.

thanks for any thoughts and source for the short block ect.....

boostamuv!!!

Old 09-06-2013, 06:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably the easiest solution is, as you mentioned, an iron block. What do you use the car for?
Old 09-06-2013, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

90% street, 10% drag racing on hoosier drag radials.

looking for a reliable setup that I can drive in and drive out.

also interested in the LS9 block. I might be able to get ahold of one, checking on it now.

they are very high quality with the billet main caps and piston oil squirters to keep the pistons cool

not sure how much it will cost yet. the crate ls9 engines are still 20k!!
Old 09-08-2013, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

looking a various builders and trying to pick the best bang for the buck

how about just adding billet main caps to the ls6. might lower my goals a bit to retain my current engine.

looking to retain the AFR 225 heads and ls6 intake, the iron 6.0 short block options look pretty good and are in the 4-6 k price range depending on options.

builders I've looked at

LMR
AES
ERL
TMS (on ebay alot!)

probably need to check a few more. let me know who you all would recommend
Old 09-09-2013, 02:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

ERL block is what I would go with. If you go iron make sure your cooling system is up to par if you will be doing a lot of street driving. If you're up north it's not as much of an issue like in the south but still needs to be addressed either way.

The TTiX kits will perform well and make what you want if you have the rest of the build done right. Good choice going Alky Control.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
ERL block is what I would go with. If you go iron make sure your cooling system is up to par if you will be doing a lot of street driving. If you're up north it's not as much of an issue like in the south but still needs to be addressed either way.

The TTiX kits will perform well and make what you want if you have the rest of the build done right. Good choice going Alky Control.
I've got a big alum rad (ron davis) and the dewitts dual high flow fans

thinking of a 370 ci iron block build as I want to rev it and stay with a shorter stroke for less side loading and very thick cyl walls

looking for the "best value" high quality lq9 short block with a forged crank and pistons setup for 20 psi of boost

thinking of upgrading to 1/2 head studs to increase clamping force.

I think the LSX 6 bolt will likely be overkill and too costly for me

LME was recommended, and I see TMS advertise on ebay

going to check with a few builders, looking to stay less than 5k for a quality short block and reuse my TFS 225 heads and ls6 intake and current cam (not sure of specs, but it runs really good and spools quickly)

I see most folks go 408 but I don't think I need the big displacement to meet my power goals and would rather stay with the shorter stroke to rev up quickly

thanks again for the tips and feedback! doing my homework.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:45 AM
10 Second Club

He revs his to 7500. You can go 376 alum sleeved. Less weight and less heat and just as strong but nothing wrong with a budget 370.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

the ERL stuff looks awesome but it's pretty pricey. might look into just getting the superdeck block (*like the 6 bolt* !!) and transfer the "guts" of my LS6 motor over.

love to be able to afford the full boogie superdeck build with 6 bolt heads

going to look really hard at how I can swing that as I believe it's the ultimate and will give me the ability to "max out" the TTIX kit

plus a 427 vette just has a really special number to it.

1200 at the tire ain't bad either <G>
Old 09-10-2013, 11:27 AM
10 Second Club

Plenty make 1200 with that kit so have at it.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think the ttix might be a bit flow limited for a full 427 and I'm first going to see what's up with the LS6 and tear it down

hopefully it will be a relatively cheap fix and the 427 will wait for a more agressive build

dont' really want to back half the car or do anything crazy and I think maybe 900 at the tire will be a more realistic limit for the drivetrain

going to run a haltech ecm, bigger fuel system and do a dual tune for pump gas plus meth on low boost and pure e85 plus a spritz of meth set on kill

looking to use the bosch 129 lb injectors and hoping they will work ok with limited e85 use (mostly pump gas)

hoping the boost by gear helps it to live

the haltech ecm has a bunch of nice capabilities, and it will be a steep learning curve to master it, but I'm looking forward to it!!
Old 09-19-2013, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

looking at the LSX 376 B15

if my current engine is too expensive to fix, I can get one of these for less than 6k

I'm a little worried about the LSA powdered rods, but they do look pretty beefy and I won't be "set on kill" that often.

the 6 bolt block and modified ls3 6 bolt heads are really appealing

looks like a nicely built engine. with all the guys running 800+ through a stock lq9 on E85, I can't help but think this engine would do just fine at that level

has the quality on the LSX block gotten better? heard a few horror stories with problems with the block
Old 09-25-2013, 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

what do you all think the practical limit on HP is for the LS6 block with E85 and a really solid tune?

is it worth it to upgrade to 1/2 studs

Quick Reply: TTiX Twin Turbo build options