Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PRW Roller Rockers - RPM Loss

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PRW Roller Rockers - RPM Loss

Looking to free up a little friction from my LS1 valve train, I decided recently to upgrade the stock rockers to a full roller rocker. Due to the high cost of the top brands, I decided to gamble with the PQ (PRW) shaft mount rockers http://www.prw-usa.com/2834.

These rockers are not something you can just bolt on out of the box, but need a fair bit of additional attention to cleanup and prepare for the detailed installation. The finish machining of this product is not top quality, so deburing of bolts, thread chasing of rocker stands and cleanup were required before the final oil soak in preparation for the install.

The instructions provided are well detailed, with measurements needed to get the correct stand height and rocker arm alignment with valve stem. After reading them very carefully and completing every step of the install, I ended up with a 7.100" pushrod length requirement. As the rocker arms are adjustable, I set the valve lash at approximately 0.080" as determined by zero lash + 1 3/4 turns. (adjuster threads are 24UNF)

My issue now is that with only this rocker change, I have lost 700 RPM, with the engine now losing power at 6500 RPM, where it seems to start breaking up. (Rev limiter remains set at 7200 RPM) The engine is a 2001 LS1, which I rebuilt with forged pistons, Vindicator cam, rebuilt Patriot 243 heads, etc. Prior to this rocker change the engine has been running flawlessly with 7k+ pulls continuously.

Has anyone run into this issue with these rockers? Is the extra rocker weight over the stem preventing the additional RPM? (valve float?) Am I running too much or little valve lash? (I believe 0.100" is stock requirement) Thoughts?

Last edited by HP52TA; 09-15-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My first guess would have to be the rocker weight; do you have a dyno graph you can post?
Old 09-15-2013, 03:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would say you made a rather ignorant choice is wanting to put full rollers on an LS when the stock rockers are so good with a trunnion upgrade, then made it worse buying bottom of the barrel parts which are heavy.

IMO you have a bit too much preload and too heavy a rocker and need to start doing research before you buy things like this rather than trying to fix it after you make mistakes.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea even though they are shaft mount I really don't see the need for those...while the roller tips may have decreased friction the added weight is probably your downfall like others have mentioned...the pushrod length seems super short by Ls standards...maybe start there
Old 09-16-2013, 01:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I would say you made a rather ignorant choice is wanting to put full rollers on an LS when the stock rockers are so good with a trunnion upgrade, then made it worse buying bottom of the barrel parts which are heavy.

IMO you have a bit too much preload and too heavy a rocker and need to start doing research before you buy things like this rather than trying to fix it after you make mistakes.
So much for constructive criticism...

If you spin an LS1 over without plugs with stock rockers, then roller rockers, you will be surprised by the load on the engine that the stock rocker arms produce.

In your opinion, what research can be done ahead of time here?
Old 09-16-2013, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 94 Likes on 59 Posts

Sounds about right. We saw on average about a 1000rpm loss before unstable valvetrain on roller rockers.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

IMO, go back to stock rockers with the trunion upgrade, and sell the PRW's.
I would think with a engine setup for lower rpm usage and higher lift they might be fine; or I might be totally wrong.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HP52TA
So much for constructive criticism...

If you spin an LS1 over without plugs with stock rockers, then roller rockers, you will be surprised by the load on the engine that the stock rocker arms produce.

In your opinion, what research can be done ahead of time here?
See below

Originally Posted by TurboBuick6
Sounds about right. We saw on average about a 1000rpm loss before unstable valvetrain on roller rockers.

It is really common knowledge that roller rockers are a lot of trouble and excess weight on a LS engine, hell the need for roller rockers with aftermarket heads bronze guides is usually consider a big downside of aftermarket heads prompting some vendors to offer PM guides for use with stock rockers as upgrades to aftermarket heads.

Just because full roller rockers is considered a standard mod on gen 1 and gen 2 motors that came with stamped ball fulcrum rockers doesn't automatically mean full rollers are a blindly good idea on a motor that already came with roller fulcrum.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

^^^^my sentiments exactly...when I see people boastig about roller rockers (especially higher ratio) I just wonder...Why?
Old 09-17-2013, 12:07 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

96capricemgr is right. It's fairly common knowledge here that the roller rockers aren't necessarily an upgrade.

The weight can be overcome by throwing a lot more spring pressure at the problem. And when I say a lot, I mean so much so that it's simply not worth the wear and tear on other components to try and get the rocker weight under control.

Also, I'll say this: that the roller fulcrum provides less friction and is therefore good for more power or RPM is a horrible internet myth that needs to die.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like the additional rotary inertia is not being controlled by the springs. Therefore, more spring is required. However, this leads to more pushrod deflection and so stiffer pushrods may be required as well at that RPM.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the rockers are the issue here and you need to return to the lighter stock rockers. Having said that, not sure what your heads or cam is, but stock rockers and bronze guides don't get along well. I have found unacceptable bronze guide wear in as little as 8,000 miles and that was with a rather low lift cam compared to what is available for these motors today.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the input guys. I will consider it an expensive lesson learned.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

At least you can realize a mistake, most guys wouldn't wanna believe it bc they have too much pride...kudos my friend
Old 09-17-2013, 05:40 PM
11 Second Club

Agreed, most guys would instead defend their mistake. Seems like most figure if they convince enough other folks to repeat their mistake then it is no longer a mistake.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:02 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Roller rockers have their place, but mild pump gas hydraulic roller applications just aren't it.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Aint that the same company that makes the Scorpion rockers that break all the time??

Quick Reply: PRW Roller Rockers - RPM Loss