Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing Broken Lifter Piece In Motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 08:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Missing Broken Lifter Piece In Motor

Recently the #7 exhaust valve spring broke on my 01 LS1. This caused a bunch of problems... broken roller rocker, bent push rod, bent valve stem, broken lifter cup, ect. So far I have managed to find all the fragged pieces and fit them back together except for the retaining cup on the top of the Comp R lifter (where the push rod sits). I have removed the oil level sensor and swept a magnet through the empty oil pan and found nothing. However I could only sweep the sump. There was nothing on the end of the drain plug magnet, or in the old filter when I cut it apart.

My next plan was to try to rinse the block from the heads down with diesel fuel to break loose any debris that may be stuck somewhere inside.

Is this a good idea? Does anyone have any other recommendations? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-23-2013, 11:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull it, disassemble the motor, install fresh bearings, new seals, stroke crank, big cam, forged pistons, ultralite rods, new heads, re-assemble, tune, enjoy!

Chad
Old 09-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

LOL... Are you gonna fund this remedy? I already have Brute Speed Blower Cam, AFR 205 heads, LSX Intake, FAST 90mm TB, 60lb FI, Pro Charger D1SC, Lonnies Fuel System, ect... Just looking for advice on how to / what to do with the current issue. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

I'd flush it with some cheap motor oil ... I'd also pull the oil pump and inspect it at a minimum ... you may be able to find the piece missing with the oil pump removed. If not, add a good magnetic drain plug to your oil pan and hope it catches it before something catastrophic occurs ... if it were mine, this is what I'd do (I've done it and been successful) ... good luck!
Old 09-24-2013, 08:54 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the advice. If you remove the bolts from the oil pan, is it possible to lower it enough to sweep a magnet through it from the front to the back? Also, isn't there a screen on the pick up tube for the oil pump? I would think this screen would keep a part that is the size of a dime from being sucked up into the pump.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only real answer is to disassemble the engine to find it...and with all that boost I would want to sacrifice any other parts of the motor
Old 09-24-2013, 09:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seriously, I would throw a couple of extra magnets in the pan and try to catch it. Use thin oil (cheap) and let the motor idle for 30 minutes. If the piece is not logded in the spring somewhere then I would say it has passed to the pan and or the pump. Pull the pump and give it a good once over. if nothing then it might have passed when you drained the oil. Leave the magnets just in case, they wont hurt anything.

Chad
Old 09-24-2013, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Find a way to support the engine (from the top, across the shock towers) and remove the oil pan and windage tray (you would have to lower the k-member).
Old 09-25-2013, 06:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Lightbulb Good advice!

Originally Posted by joecar
Find a way to support the engine (from the top, across the shock towers) and remove the oil pan and windage tray (you would have to lower the k-member).
What Joe said.^^^^^^
Old 09-25-2013, 01:20 PM
Staging Lane

Any good walk thru's on how to lower the K member?
Old 09-25-2013, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

PLEASE fer Christ sakes just let it be.......those needles aint gonna hurt anything. Geez
Old 09-26-2013, 02:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^HA!!! Yeah cause that never went bad for anyone before.

Pull it, clean everything really good, inspect the parts, replace NECESSARY parts, reassemble, re-install. Dont half *** it, best case scenario the broken parts are at the bottom of the pan, worst case scenario the broken pieces are somewhere where they def shouldnt be. You put a good amount of work into that motor already, dont get lazy this late in the game. You can pull that engine, clean everything, re assemble it, and reinstall it in one weekend. Im sure you have friends that can help over a case of beer.

Quick Reply: Missing Broken Lifter Piece In Motor