Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no oil presure new lS1

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default no oil presure new lS1

I searched this with no luck so here we go. I just finished installing a new forged LS1 in my wife's 2000 Z28. The oil pump is a ported LS6, new from WS6 store. I ported it by hand. I don't think I messed anything up. I turned the motor over with the starter and it is not picking up oil. I pulled the K-MEMBER and oil pan. I had my wife spin it over with the starter while I felt of the pick up tube and no suction. The O-Ring is not cut. The only thing I can possibly think of is the pump did no have oil in it. Maybe this is causing it to have an air gap? If anyone has any experience with this your help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Did you preoil or pack the oil pump with vasoline or light grease? the pump isn't going to pull oil up unless the pump has something in it. Quickest way to remedy this is to use a pressurized priming tool that shoots oil through the entire system. You still should have filled the pump with 10-30 before installing it. I hope you at least filled the new oil filter before installing it?
Old 09-24-2013, 06:43 AM
TECH Resident

I have a new sender. I filled the filter. I have plenty of assembly lube on the bearings. There are no spark plugs in it. I will pump some oil up through the pick up tube. Thanks for the quick responses. I will post up the results.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I put a new oil pump in mine would build any oil pressure either until the car actually cranked. Once it cranked the oil pressure was great....still kinda scary cranking it without seeing any oil pressure though.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98ws6blk
When I put a new oil pump in mine would build any oil pressure either until the car actually cranked. Once it cranked the oil pressure was great....still kinda scary cranking it without seeing any oil pressure though.
I just can't bring myself to do that. I have spent a ton on machine work and very meticulously measured evey bore and bearing clearance to be sure they are exactly what Mahle Techs recommended. I would be stuck in the fetal position crying like a bitch if it went boom.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just can't bring myself to do that. I have spent a ton on machine work and very meticulously measured evey bore and bearing clearance to be sure they are exactly what Mahle Techs recommended. I would be stuck in the fetal position crying like a bitch if it went boom.[/QUOTE]

I understand. ha ha. I would do the same thing.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Remove oil filter, and with a suitable hand pump ($10 from HF), pump engine oil into the off-center oil passage (i.e. in direction toward front of engine towards oil pump).
Old 09-24-2013, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when i did my cam i put in a ported tsp oil pump. i never primed the oil pump, i just put it in . when i started the car the oil pressure didn't registered right away, so i turned it off. my neighbor (who is a mechanic) told me it ok and let it run, so i turned the car on and it build oil pressure
Old 09-24-2013, 05:49 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
I always center the oil pump and put assembly lube on the oil pump gears, and coat it on pretty thick. The assembly lube I use is pretty sticky and tact. When the motor is on the engine stand I pour oil down the pickup tube before I install the pan. I also use 15w-40 Chevron Delo conventional with 1 bottle of Lucas ZDDP and pour oil into the oil filter as well. I have oil pressure immediately.
I do the same, besides the oil in the pickup, and I get oil pressure immediately unless there a big oil cooler with big/long lines. If someone else put it together and it doesn't have pressure, 9 times out of 10 its the O-ring or the barbell.

In this case, since its a ported pump, I would suspect the bypass may be stuck open thanks to some porting debris.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

There's also the oil galley plug at the front of the block.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Default Thanks , I think I have it whipped

I pulled the oil pan. The o ring is fine. I have built a ton of motors, this is only my first complete LS. I am going to pump oil with a hand pump up the pickup tube. I understand a lot of people would just fire it up but I am running .0015 bearing clearance as per Mahle and I won't start it up until I know there is oil in the rotating assembly and the lifters. As it has a big cam it will fire off and go straight to about 1500RPM until warm. My only question was about priming the pump, really. Thanks to the guys that helped me out with that. I just wanted to make sure I was not the only one who has ran across this since we can no longer use the old gearless distributer and drill primer.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I got $10 on missing barbell plug. Most common mistake people make on their first lsx engine build. It's not a freeze plug..it literally looks like a barbell with two o-rings. I missed it in my first build. It goes behind the rear cover.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't have an oil pump to plumb into the front of the block and prime the motor so I left the plugs out an turned the motor over with the starter. I cranked and cranked and cranked and couldn't get oil pressure. I did fill my oil pump with assembly lube. I put the plugs in and turned the engine over and as soon as it would start I would shut it off! I did this about 3 times and it finally built oil pressure. If you used good assembly lube on your bearings It won't hurt to do this a few times. If you start it and let it run and rev it a few times then that will probably produce a different outcome. As mentioned above, if you aren't sure you installed the barbell then I wouldn't try anything till I made sure its in there..
Old 09-25-2013, 06:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Thumbs up What Joe said....

Originally Posted by joecar
There's also the oil galley plug at the front of the block.
I drilled the ft plug, tig welded a -6 AN fitting in it, and have a pressure pot for oiling it up......
Old 09-25-2013, 09:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
I drilled the ft plug, tig welded a -6 AN fitting in it, and have a pressure pot for oiling it up......
Great idea. You should get that stickied in a tricks of the trade thread. Pics will be needed though.

I have the "barbell" in place and the front plug. There is literally no oil going up to the pump. I have a friend coming over tonight to spin the motor over while I use the pump i built to pump oil through the pick up tube. I feel like it will catch immediately and that will be the end of this. If it doesn't work, I will get back to the drawing board.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

I have a used X Prime, LS1 oil pump primer I will sell ya for 50 bucks. It's the HP model goes for 90 new, only used once.

Here's what it looks like, but this is the standard model.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121182634361&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
Old 09-25-2013, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by schnellttz06
I have a used X Prime, LS1 oil pump primer I will sell ya for 50 bucks. It's the HP model goes for 90 new, only used once.

Here's what it looks like, but this is the standard model.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121182634361&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
Thanks for the offer and the knowledge. I already have the oil pan off so I am just going to use what I built. I do mods on other people's f bodies as well and will purchase one of these later but for now I must decline for this car is taking up all my funds.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Great idea
Old 09-25-2013, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
What happened to those pics you were supposed to post in the other thread of the dial indicator on the lifter since you are posting pics and selling stuff?

The pics never were posted.
Yeah I'll get around to it eventually.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by codyvette
Thanks for the offer and the knowledge. I already have the oil pan off so I am just going to use what I built. I do mods on other people's f bodies as well and will purchase one of these later but for now I must decline for this car is taking up all my funds.
No problem, just thought I'd offer. Gonna post it up on the classified section later. I know how these builds can get out of control, spent way more on mine than I planned.

Quick Reply: no oil presure new lS1