Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good plugs and wires that don't break the bank.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 02:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good plugs and wires that don't break the bank.

Decided that after I get my egr valve/vacuum leak taken care of. I'm going to do a good tuneup on the car. Any recommendations on on a good set of plugs and wires that's not killer expensive?
Old 10-02-2013, 04:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

NGK plugs and GM C6 Z06 wires. The GM c6 Z06 wires have a 90 degree boot if you have headers. If stock, then the GM Performance wires that ahve a straight boot.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vettenuts
NGK plugs and GM C6 Z06 wires. The GM c6 Z06 wires have a 90 degree boot if you have headers. If stock, then the GM Performance wires that ahve a straight boot.

Yes, I have Pacesetter long tubes.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scoggin Dickey is running a sale for a free set of NGK TR55 plugs when buying MSD wires.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ngk-plugs.html
Old 10-02-2013, 06:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^thats a good deal....I have the MSD wires, and even without the heat shields they are still holding up, well made....I'm also running ac delco iridium (which are now made by ngk)
Old 10-02-2013, 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

Either firecore50 wires or stock gm. The msd is overpriced Chinese junk. They don't positively snap on the plug and the boots don't take the heat well.

Been there done that.

Tim
Old 10-02-2013, 08:27 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Running MSD's now. I'm about ready to change them. 2yrs and in and off 5 times or so. Could probably use some new ones.

Tim, I agree with the snapping issue. After several on and offs, it becomes a BITCH to get them seated, but you have to push with the grip of Christ.

I'll probably swap to the Granatellis. Gains aside, not having to worry about heat and the lifetime warranty are enough to make me switch.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Never had those issues with the MSD wires, but who knows...
Old 10-02-2013, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

The only wires we run on anything are Taylors.. I've had and heard about many others having problems with MSD wires causing a miss. I let someone talk me into MSDs when I did heads/cam a few years ago. After less than 500 miles it developed a miss. I put my OLD Taylors back on and the miss went away. After much research, I found this to be a common problem. This may have something to do with the fact that MSD wires are made in China now. Both Camaros, The Vette, and the truck all have Taylors on them now and I've never had a single problem with any.

Frank
Old 10-02-2013, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by showvette
The only wires we run on anything are Taylors.. I've had and heard about many others having problems with MSD wires causing a miss. I let someone talk me into MSDs when I did heads/cam a few years ago. After less than 500 miles it developed a miss. I put my OLD Taylors back on and the miss went away. After much research, I found this to be a common problem. This may have something to do with the fact that MSD wires are made in China now. Both Camaros, The Vette, and the truck all have Taylors on them now and I've never had a single problem with any.

Frank
I had major issues getting mine to snap in place. Worse after a hand injury.

Not sure the MSD's are made anywhere now, I think they recently filed for bankrupcy
Old 10-02-2013, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Not sure the MSD's are made anywhere now, I think they recently filed for bankrupcy

Yeah. they're still in business. Just hurting.

Frank
Old 10-02-2013, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Running MSD's now. I'm about ready to change them. 2yrs and in and off 5 times or so. Could probably use some new ones.

Tim, I agree with the snapping issue. After several on and offs, it becomes a BITCH to get them seated, but you have to push with the grip of Christ.
That ain't no lie!!! I finally deep sixed my MSDs this last time around on a plug change...
Old 10-02-2013, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Can't speak to the quality of the MSD wires, but so many people on here run them that I scored a MSD Wire/NGK Plug set from the WS6 store a couple of months ago, it was a good deal. Now I just need to put them on.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:53 PM
12 Second Club

I agree with everyone else, the MSD wires are a PITA to put back on and Ive had one pull apart. I'll definitely go with a different plug wire next time.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by showvette
Yeah. they're still in business. Just hurting.

Frank
Not sure what their status is at this point:
----------------------------------------------------------
MSD PERFORMANCE INITIATES VOLUNTARY CHAPTER 11 PROCESS TO COMPLETE
AN ORDERLY SALE
Lenders' Consent To Company's Use Of Cash Collateral Ensures Operations Continue As Usual
With the Highest Quality and Outstanding Service
U.S. Bankruptcy Code. The filing does not include the company's non-U.S. entities.
MSDP has determined that the best way to preserve value for its stakeholders is through an orderly sale
of substantially all of its assets. To ensure the most efficient sales process possible and to optimize the
potential results for all parties, the Company has decided to execute this sale process under the
protection of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.
Through the Chapter 11 filing, MSDP seeks to preserve continuity, to the greatest extent possible, for its
customers, employees and business partners while it continues discussions with potential buyers to
secure the highest and best outcome for its businesses.
"As an industry leader in the performance ignition systems market for over 40 years, MSDP brings
significant value to customers, suppliers and potential buyers based on our long-standing customer
relationships, robust product offering and proven focus on quality performance," said Ron Turcotte,
Chairman and CEO. "Selling operations on a going concern basis in an orderly sale through Chapter 11
is the best way to preserve as many jobs as possible, best serve our customers and will allow our
operations to emerge from bankruptcy in a relatively short time frame," said Turcotte. "The operations
we are selling have strong product portfolios, advanced technologies and continue to perform well
operationally."
Under the bankruptcy sale process, the proposed transaction is subject to the execution of a definitive
asset purchase agreement, court approval and other customary conditions. Interested parties will have
an opportunity to submit higher or better offers for MSDP's assets.
The Company restructured its debt in 2009 following the financial downturn as well as a series of
acquisitions by prior management, which burdened it with excessive debt. Since that time, the Company
has reduced operating costs, introduced award-winning products and accelerated marketing initiatives.
The decision to file under Chapter 11 is necessary to facilitate this transaction, which positions MSDP to
take advantage of emerging growth opportunities.
To fund its continuing operations MSDP has received the consent of the lenders under its existing
secured credit facility to use the Company's cash collateral. Subject to Court approval, the Company's
cash collateral will be used for the company's normal working capital requirements.
Employees will continue to be paid as usual, including their healthcare and other benefits and no layoffs
or facility closings are anticipated. Customers will receive their orders as usual and the Company
anticipates that there will be no changes in warranties or other customer programs Additionally,
suppliers will be paid for goods and services after the filing date in accordance with existing terms and
contracts.
MSDP's restructuring counsel is Jones Day. Its investment banker is SSG Advisors, LLC. MSDP is
also represented by Richards Layton and Finger, as local counsel.
About MSDP
About MSD Performance, Inc.
MSD Performance, Inc., headquartered in El Paso, Texas, operates in the power sports enthusiast and
professional racer markets where they maintain leading market share positions across all of their product
categories under the MSD Ignition®, Racepak® and Powerteq® brands. You can shop our products
online at www.msdignition.com, www.powerteq.com and www.racepak.com, or visit one of our many
automotive and performance distributors across the country
# # #
Old 10-03-2013, 06:37 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

WOW nuts, thanks for the info.

I suppose MSD got so big back in the day when every car had a single coil and could use an upgrade that when upgrades became unneeded with CNP and COP ignitions, they were stuck with a huge operation and no more market.

It's hard to downsize that much.

It's also disappointing to know MSD is using Asian import components like wire. I guess this explained the poor performance and incredibly short lifespan of their LS coils.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:40 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Irby, I second the motion for the Granatelli Motorsports wire set. Yes, it'll cost you but they are the finest set of wires that have that lifetime warranty. Zero Ohms! Yes, it'll make a difference-at least in engine response.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been using MSD wires on LS engines for over 10 years now and 260,000 + miles without any of the problems listed in this thread. Never had a miss and have no problems getting them on and off the plugs or coils. They have held up very well. I always replace them at 75,000 mile intervals.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

I may hold off just right now after shelling out $390 to get the car fixed. The mechanic said the plugs and wires have definitely been replaced recently.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
Either firecore50 wires or stock gm. The msd is overpriced Chinese junk. They don't positively snap on the plug and the boots don't take the heat well.

Been there done that.

Tim
My MSD wires have been on the car since 2003 with no problems. The boots are still in great condition, and you can feel the plug engagement without issue. They've been on/off probably a hundred times

Quick Reply: Good plugs and wires that don't break the bank.