Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

243's question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 243's question

Ok hopefully this is a quick one, I got a set of 243's for a great price and I want to have them ported and polished, and milled, is there anything special I need to ask for when having it done I basically want the most power I can get, the cars not a dd, but I don't want to have to worry about stalling at lights and what not, I know the cam has a lot to do with those things. I got an ms3 that was a real good deal as well but I think I'm gonna sell it and have a cam ground for me afterwards with the flow data. the car is a full bolt on 02 m6 ss, thanks in advance also if anyone has any idea where I would probably be sitting power wise I would certainly be open to hear about it and tips are always welcome
Old 10-10-2013, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if that is the case I would go with a stage 2 to 3 port job as most places call them 225cc runners and up and run a .040 gasket and mill them to get a nice compression ratio with that cam usually .020 and be prepared to flycut. If you don't make over 450rwhp you set it up wrong or have wrong parts. What to ask for? Well for starters guide clearance comes to mind. How much flow does your valve job pick up on a valve job on a 243 head. Have they even ever done a set a 243 heads. If it stalls or dies at a light with a m6 it's tuned wrong.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't lose with AI...
Old 10-10-2013, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

Not sure what ai is and when u say flycut r you referring to the pistons? Sorry about my noob ignorance
Old 10-10-2013, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sure you can. No point in spending the money to get a port job that costs well over 1k when you get an aftermarket casting for similar money that flow more cfm for similar size ports. Flycutting is the practice of cutting the pistons in the shape of the valve so it has more clearance to open, so contact between the valve and piston isn't made resulting in engine destruction.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by foxriderry
Not sure what ai is and when u say flycut r you referring to the pistons? Sorry about my noob ignorance
Ai is advanced induction, they do cylinder head work..

Fly cutting is cutting little reliefs into your pistons so the valves won't touch, usually needed on big camshaft and milled heads in the 59cc-62cc as a generalization..

Always measure piston to valve (PTV) clearance
Old 10-10-2013, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

So ure thinking it's not worth it and I should just buy a different set of heads? Sorry I'm just a little confused and I was hoping I would have to pull the pistons I assume a machine shop would have to do the cutting, I certainly don't want my engine to self destruct
Old 10-10-2013, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Wouldn't have to pull the pistons *
Old 10-10-2013, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You can flycut with the heads off you can do it yourself if you have the tools that ms3 can is a Max effort you may or may not have to flycut only measures will tell for sure
Old 10-10-2013, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The best thing you can do without dumping a ton of money into the car is just getting a 3 angle valve job done on your 243 heads. The next is opening up the bowls. That alone will give you solid gains and help rebuild the cylinder head to a new condition in terms of the valve and port sealing. It sounds like with your amount of knowledge you are better off taking it to a well known place or professional and letting them set it up for you. You will get better results with less money in parts. You can buy high dollar parts and still make crap power if things aren't setup right. There is alot more to all this then just bolting things on.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Always2Slow
The best thing you can do without dumping a ton of money into the car is just getting a 3 angle valve job done on your 243 heads. The next is opening up the bowls. That alone will give you solid gains and help rebuild the cylinder head to a new condition in terms of the valve and port sealing. It sounds like with your amount of knowledge you are better off taking it to a well known place or professional and letting them set it up for you. You will get better results with less money in parts. You can buy high dollar parts and still make crap power if things aren't setup right. There is alot more to all this then just bolting things on.
I agree
Old 10-11-2013, 06:34 AM
Staging Lane

We'll if your saying I should take it to a shop and have them build it for me I'm sorry but that's not gonna happen, for two reasons a, I'm not loaded, and b, I wanna build it myself, I want to make the most amount of reasonable power I don't care if it's 400 or 4 million and besides how else am I supposed to learn, I've already don't lots of research about springs and rods and measurements and if you read the original post I said I will probably not go with the ms3 and I will have a cam ground for me using the results, I will certainly research this advanced induction place and I guess I'll see where it goes from there, thank you for the advice
Old 10-11-2013, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You really can't do a valve job yourself other than grinding them in, AI does a valve job when you get the ported...you can't beat the price per gain from them...if you do do the valve springs yourself get an Ls valve spring compresser it makes things easy
Old 10-12-2013, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would highly recommend a valve job at the very least and put the proper springs on for your cam and run it.

Quick Reply: 243's question