Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat top 4.8 Pistons into my 5.3 HOW TO Video

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flat top 4.8 Pistons into my 5.3 HOW TO Video

Hey guys, thought I'd share this quick video I made of swaping in some used flat top 4.8 pistons into my 5.3 at home in my garage. This 5.3 will be going into my 1987 Chevy truck as a daily driver with a lil added ***** and tow ability for my LS swapped 1992 Camaro. These pistons will bring me up from 9.5:1 to 10:1. After I port and mill the 5.3 (862) heads I should be around 10.5:1.

Specs:
160k mile 5.3
used 4.8 pistons
220r cam
ported & shimed oil pump
CTSV oil pan

Warning: this is a budget build. All those who want to comment with negativity about buying new stuff can just troll on to the next thread. Once this engine is together it will be ran on a test stand for all to see on video how it worked out. I video just about everything I do and post it on my YouTube channel at AGearHead4Life - YouTube

Click Here for the video:

Enjoy!
Old 11-08-2013, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

cool how-to man. nothing wrong with working on a budget.

i knew and old boy who would grab pistons out of a pile, wipe them off, and stab them in. flat-tops, domed, dished, didn't matter, he would just throw them together....the engines always started, and very rarely did he grenade them.

i'll have to check out some more of your videos.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter
cool how-to man. nothing wrong with working on a budget.

i knew and old boy who would grab pistons out of a pile, wipe them off, and stab them in. flat-tops, domed, dished, didn't matter, he would just throw them together....the engines always started, and very rarely did he grenade them.

i'll have to check out some more of your videos.
Thanks OutlawDrifter! Cool story to. I love experimenting and seeing what you can do.

Hope you enjoy the videos. Don't get lost in them there's a bunch. about a hundred, but they're organized into playlists. that should help.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no rotating assembly balance problems or are the pistons the same weight?
Old 11-08-2013, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sergo
no rotating assembly balance problems or are the pistons the same weight?
I don't know but obviously willing to chance it. lol I highly doubt that it'll be noticeable, but we'll soon see. I don't mind being a test dummy. Good questing though. I still have a dished piston I can weigh, but too late to measure the 4.8's weight.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AGearHead4Life
I don't know but obviously willing to chance it. lol I highly doubt that it'll be noticeable, but we'll soon see. I don't mind being a test dummy. Good questing though. I still have a dished piston I can weigh, but too late to measure the 4.8's weight.
I have some 4.8 flat top pistons but they aren't disassembled I could weigh for you. If they're at my apartment I will take one to work and punch it out. If not it may take me some time to do it. If you really want me to that is lol. Great video by the way
Old 11-09-2013, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Streetlegal?
I have some 4.8 flat top pistons but they aren't disassembled I could weigh for you. If they're at my apartment I will take one to work and punch it out. If not it may take me some time to do it. If you really want me to that is lol. Great video by the way
Thanks man. Yea that'd be cool if you come across them. Also PM me if you wanna sell them
Old 11-09-2013, 08:55 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

At 3:36 in your video, it appears the top ring flips over when it pops out of your ring expander. If this is the case, your top ring is now installed upside down.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speedtigger
At 3:36 in your video, it appears the top ring flips over when it pops out of your ring expander. If this is the case, your top ring is now installed upside down.
Very good point! I noticed that it appeared that way also. I checked them before I put them back on... I think. You've got me questioning myself now. Lol i may have to pull that one back out just to make sure now.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:20 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

Very good point! I noticed that it appeared that way also. I checked them before I put them back on... I think. You've got me questioning myself now. Lol i may have to pull that one back out just to make sure now.
Do those rings have a dot on the top side?
Old 11-11-2013, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks man. Yea that'd be cool if you come across them. Also PM me if you wanna sell them
Sent you a pm. However they aren't at my apt so I'll have to go swing by the shop to grab them. I can punch them out next week most likely. I have finals next week so might be after that
Old 11-11-2013, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

How much power are you hoping to make with the switch to the flat tops? Might have to look for a set of 4.8 pistons for my 5.3l now.

Awesome video, I work in my flip flops all the time too!
Old 11-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

The 4.8s are probably heavier since they aren't dished. But not by much. Since they will all be closely matched to one another, the entire rotating assembly will be close, but the counterweights might be off a tad.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Do those rings have a dot on the top side?
Yea on the top or the top ring.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Streetlegal?
Sent you a pm. However they aren't at my apt so I'll have to go swing by the shop to grab them. I can punch them out next week most likely. I have finals next week so might be after that
I'll check my inbox. No rush at all man. Thanks!
Old 11-11-2013, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rogue Status
How much power are you hoping to make with the switch to the flat tops? Might have to look for a set of 4.8 pistons for my 5.3l now.

Awesome video, I work in my flip flops all the time too!
Thanks man!

I don't have a set number of gains from just the pistons. I know that I'll be a little over 400 CHP though. I just know the compression ratio I'd like to have and all that comes with it. Performance engines have a higher compression for a reason.

My last 5.3 was about 400chp with only a LS6 Cam, home ported heads and a .030 mill bringing the compression to about 10:1. So this engine should have even more power and still be a great daily driver. Probably drive and sound like stock if it wasn't for the 112lsa.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
The 4.8s are probably heavier since they aren't dished. But not by much. Since they will all be closely matched to one another, the entire rotating assembly will be close, but the counterweights might be off a tad.
True. This comment just makes me more curious.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Cool stuff, I have been wondering if anyone had tried this.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sprint_9
Cool stuff, I have been wondering if anyone had tried this.
Thanks! I think a few have possibly before. I've seen a few questions on it at least.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

My last 5.3 was about 400chp with only a LS6 Cam, home ported heads and a .030 mill bringing the compression to about 10:1. So this engine should have even more power and still be a great daily driver. Probably drive and sound like stock if it wasn't for the 112lsa.
My exact thoughts. From what I read after researching this yesterday, the pistons alone should push compression to 10.3:1, so more than simply milling the heads. According to a few this is how the HO 5.3s are built, just by adding 4.8l pistons. I was planning on putting in a 228R cam from Texas Speed or something similar from Tick to get closer to my goal of 375whp on a N/A 5.3. I think 4.8 pistons with the cam and a good tune would put me really close.

Quick Reply: Flat top 4.8 Pistons into my 5.3 HOW TO Video