Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what are some good roller rockers out there?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vote is for the Crane gold race rockers. Not to be confused with the Comp ones.http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cr...make/chevrolet I have run these on many cars without issue and the build quality is great. I may be selling a set if I go with a new set of LS9 heads. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
I'd still put the PM guides in there. The heads I was talking about with different geometry was the TFS heads. They show wear even with roller rockers per Brian Tooley as seen here https://ls1tech.com/forums/17836424-post11.html. Which is why he recommends PM guides and stock rockers.

And get the turned down LS3 valves. The difference in weight is 110g vs 83g on the 2.04" intake valve.
Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
My TFS heads with bronze guides and roller rockers had guide wear within a few thousand miles. Admittedly I didn't shim up the rockers for minimum wipe pattern.
Well no kidding. Of course they will show wear if you don't install them properly.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:22 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ckpitt55
Well no kidding. Of course they will show wear if you don't install them properly.
I wanted to use them as recommended by TFS by simply bolting on the roller rockers. Shimming them for a more narrow wipe pattern should yield better results.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:35 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
How is the geometry changed?
On TFS heads? Well, for one, the valve is laid over to 13.5 degrees.

I don't know how the geometry is changed exactly, but there are a few cam designers out there who don't love the geometry afforded by the TFS heads and the wear they seem to put on guides.

That's one reason why the PM guides have worked so well in them. You can go back to the stock rocker, which is a little sloppy anyway in terms of wipe, and make good numbers with the heads.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:33 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
On TFS heads? Well, for one, the valve is laid over to 13.5 degrees.

I don't know how the geometry is changed exactly, but there are a few cam designers out there who don't love the geometry afforded by the TFS heads and the wear they seem to put on guides.

That's one reason why the PM guides have worked so well in them. You can go back to the stock rocker, which is a little sloppy anyway in terms of wipe, and make good numbers with the heads.
I don't think the valve angle has an affect on the guide wear, or that there is anything even wrong with the geometry in a TFS head. Personally, I think the PM guides are just able to hold up longer to the scrubbing/side loading of the OEM rocker arms better than the bronze alloys. Most people don't really even understand the valvetrain geometry other than what they've read in magazines about wipe patterns, so its not set up correctly with OEM rockers anyways.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SStressin
do you know what year they switched to the new design? and I have trickflows so using a 3/8 pushrod. also I have ferrera stainless valves. I was thinking bout going to turnd down ls3s. good idea?
Ask the vendor if they are the Gen III design. If they don't understand, check a different vendor. There is a noticeable difference and they moved the "1.7" on the rocker to ensure there is not mistaking the new design. Here are some photos of the differences that were sent to me by Roger Vinci of Vinci High Performance.

Last edited by vettenuts; 11-25-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:11 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

So the consensus will be that for stock valve angles (not like the laid over design of the TFS heads) the newer version of the HS roller rockers will perform without issues?
Old 11-27-2013, 05:32 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Opinions on the Harland Sharp SLS17A adjustable rockers?

Quick Reply: what are some good roller rockers out there?