Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifters

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifters

I was just wondering what Lifters some of you went with. I was told to go ls7 Lifter but some say they fail with bigger cams. The cam I'm going with is a tsp 233/239 598/603 cam. So I guess my question is will they hold.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That really isn't that big. LS7 lifters are stock replacement, which is NOT bad but is no upgrade either.

The biggest problem with the LS7 lifters is the internet myth they are an upgrade and the people dumb enough to believe that are dumb enough to do all kinds of other things wrong.

Personally I would reuse stock or look for an upgrade.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

OK, thanks. So what are some good Lifters with out burning a hole in the pocket?
Old 12-28-2013, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian Tooley is making lifters now... should be a nice upgrade over LS7 lifters.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Chances of him "making" lifters for $200 are slim and none. I know he is selling some and is a highly reputable vendor but that does not equal "making"
Old 12-28-2013, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

Are they the btr SLR Lifters?
Old 12-28-2013, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 94gt8er
Are they the btr SLR Lifters?
yes lifters are great. highly recommended over LS7's the SLR (slow leakdown rate) really helps keep the vavletrain quiet and stable at high rpms
Old 12-28-2013, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You really only need slow leak down lifters when running higher spring pressure..

Ls7 will work fine, if your valve train is setup correctly with proper pushrod length.

Do the research instead of spreading rumors
Old 12-29-2013, 08:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I went with Morel because of the better materials and closer tolerances on the build. Also, they are designed to properly oil when run at higher lifts. The question is what do you want to spend.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:48 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 94gt8er
I was just wondering what Lifters some of you went with. I was told to go ls7 Lifter but some say they fail with bigger cams. The cam I'm going with is a tsp 233/239 598/603 cam. So I guess my question is will they hold.
ls7 lifters fail for all sorts of reasons...
putting them in a car with a different valvetrain than an LS1 will kill them pretty quickly
they arent repacements for an LS1/ls2/ls3/ls6 lifter
they are shorter total travel than the other LS lifters..so people end up bottoming them out and they dont even know it...ruins a lot of stuff real fast
they only have about .130 total travel vs .160 of the LS lifter, so knowing your preload becomes extremely important as there is less room for error

and you need to also know that from zero lash, 1 full turn of the 1.7 rocker bolt = .078 preload..

go with either a Comp Cams Standard lifter(direct replacement for stock lifter, just slightly better), the Comp -R lifter(racing lifter...better yet)
or get a set of Morel Lifters...(best of all of them)

you can go all out and buy a set of Morel Link Bar lifters (Like I did)....and then you can remove the Lifter Trays from the equation...
Old 12-29-2013, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by soundengineer

ls7 lifters fail for all sorts of reasons...
putting them in a car with a different valvetrain than an LS1 will kill them pretty quickly
they arent repacements for an LS1/ls2/ls3/ls6 lifter
they are shorter total travel than the other LS lifters..so people end up bottoming them out and they dont even know it...ruins a lot of stuff real fast
they only have about .130 total travel vs .160 of the LS lifter, so knowing your preload becomes extremely important as there is less room for error

and you need to also know that from zero lash, 1 full turn of the 1.7 rocker bolt = .078 preload..

go with either a Comp Cams Standard lifter(direct replacement for stock lifter, just slightly better), the Comp -R lifter(racing lifter...better yet)
or get a set of Morel Lifters...(best of all of them)

you can go all out and buy a set of Morel Link Bar lifters (Like I did)....and then you can remove the Lifter Trays from the equation...
Morels are nice pieces, However the link bar lifters are heavier than the standard lifters.

In all of the years that I've been around LS1tech, I've never seen a lifter spin in a tray. Anyone who has had a lifter spin must of had a valve train that was completely out of control.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:45 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

1 turn is .047" preload.

Morels or the Johnson short travel. They can take aftermarket spring pressures and fast ramps of aggressive lobes. Combine with a stout pushrod and you'll be ok.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:54 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
1 turn is .047" preload.

Morels or the Johnson short travel. They can take aftermarket spring pressures and fast ramps of aggressive lobes. Combine with a stout pushrod and you'll be ok.
you need to measure.....
you are wrong...

I have measured, and I can show the math as well...

you have to account for the 1.7 rocker...

Rockers are 1.25mm.
That means every turn of the bolt results in 1.25mm travel of the bolt or 1.25/25.4=.0492". (BOLT TRAVEL ONLY....NOT ROCKER TRAVEL)

Since the valve end of the rocker arm is essentially constrained from moving while turning the rocker arm bolt down from zero lash, it becomes the pivot point of the rocker and the movement at the pushrod end of the rocker arm gets multiplied by the ratio of the distance from the valve to the pushrod divided by the distance from the valve to the rocker arm bolt.
Since it's just a ratio, the units and actual dimensions aren't really needed since we already know the ratio with the rocker arm bolt as the pivot point.
We know the rocker arm ratio is 1.7:1 which means the distance from the pushrod to the rocker arm bolt is "1x" and the distance from the rocker arm bolt to the valve is "1.7x"...again, the units and actual dimensions aren't needed...its still Just a 1.7:1 ratio from one side to the other.

That means the total rocker arm length from the valve to the pushrod is "2.7x" so we have all the numbers we need...2.7/1.7=1.588. With a 1.25mm pitch, the lifter preload for each turn of the bolt will be .0492*1.588=.078"

I have measured with a dial indicator on every LS Car I have ever worked on to make sure I have the right pushrod length and right lifter preload.....it is indeed 0.78 per one full turn of the rocker bolt...give or take about .03 for bolt stretch when you get to the bottom and start to go to 22ft lbs
Old 12-29-2013, 09:58 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Burken01
Morels are nice pieces, However the link bar lifters are heavier than the standard lifters.

In all of the years that I've been around LS1tech, I've never seen a lifter spin in a tray. Anyone who has had a lifter spin must of had a valve train that was completely out of control.
you dont go to link bar lifters to keep them from spinning...
you go to them to gain extra stability and to get rid of the lifter trays for better oil drainback
Old 12-29-2013, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

you dont go to link bar lifters to keep them from spinning...
you go to them to gain extra stability and to get rid of the lifter trays for better oil drainback
Aww gotcha, makes sense.

People used to drill the stock lifter trays to aid in oil draining..

Don't see anyone doing it anymore
Old 12-29-2013, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

you need to measure.....
you are wrong...

I have measured, and I can show the math as well...

you have to account for the 1.7 rocker...

Rockers are 1.25mm.
That means every turn of the bolt results in 1.25mm travel of the bolt or 1.25/25.4=.0492". (BOLT TRAVEL ONLY....NOT ROCKER TRAVEL)

Since the valve end of the rocker arm is essentially constrained from moving while turning the rocker arm bolt down from zero lash, it becomes the pivot point of the rocker and the movement at the pushrod end of the rocker arm gets multiplied by the ratio of the distance from the valve to the pushrod divided by the distance from the valve to the rocker arm bolt.
Since it's just a ratio, the units and actual dimensions aren't really needed since we already know the ratio with the rocker arm bolt as the pivot point.
We know the rocker arm ratio is 1.7:1 which means the distance from the pushrod to the rocker arm bolt is "1x" and the distance from the rocker arm bolt to the valve is "1.7x"...again, the units and actual dimensions aren't needed...its still Just a 1.7:1 ratio from one side to the other.

That means the total rocker arm length from the valve to the pushrod is "2.7x" so we have all the numbers we need...2.7/1.7=1.588. With a 1.25mm pitch, the lifter preload for each turn of the bolt will be .0492*1.588=.078"

I have measured with a dial indicator on every LS Car I have ever worked on to make sure I have the right pushrod length and right lifter preload.....it is indeed 0.78 per one full turn of the rocker bolt...give or take about .03 for bolt stretch when you get to the bottom and start to go to 22ft lbs
This is ls1tech! Measuring isn't an option.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:17 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by outkast6991
This is ls1tech! Measuring isn't an option.
LOL....

oh yeah... I mean...
just throw some random parts in there and let er eat!
Old 12-29-2013, 10:19 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Burken01
Aww gotcha, makes sense.

People used to drill the stock lifter trays to aid in oil draining..

Don't see anyone doing it anymore
when you get to the point that you need link bar lifters, you need more oil drainback than drilling holes would provide anyways.
and wanting them is different than needing them...
Old 12-29-2013, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL....

oh yeah... I mean...
just throw some random parts in there and let er eat!
Yup. Everybody here runs xer lobes on ls6 springs and stock pr's so it must be right!
Old 12-30-2013, 12:35 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

You're math fails to account for one very important aspect. And I know you state .078" every time you get the chance. But I measured my preload with a dial indicator and sliding caliper on the adjustable pushrod.

Anyway the important aspect is the rocker arm does not move the final 1/3 of the turn. Once it fully seats it stops moving. Check it.

.047" is the avg distance the plunger moves at 1 full turn. Once seated, you don't add preload. You add bolt stretch. Redo your math without it moving .049" at the bolt. You'll be very close to .047" using the fulcrum with the bolt moving closer to .032" total.

Some will say it doesn't move at all once at 0 lash... But you can clearly see the dial indicator move as torque is applied. But it stops moving about the final 1/3 no matter the number of turns.

Quick Reply: Lifters