Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I Out Of Line With My "Quality Control" Expectations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Am I Out Of Line With My "Quality Control" Expectations?

I recently purchased a set of CNC'd cylinder heads from a well known vendor and have been seeking to rectify some of my concerns with respect to the condition of the cylinder heads as delivered.

I should qualify by saying the vendor supplied the castings, and it was my impression that they were "new" - as such the amount of wear and tear on the parts in my mind should have been negligible. The retail cost of the parts is roughly $1100.

It should be stated that the vendor in question has made reasonable efforts to address my concerns and manage the situation to date, and have exchanged the cylinder heads once already. For this reason I would appreciate some feedback from the masses before I make a decision moving forward about the replacement parts the vendor sent me.

Per the attached photos, would the "damage" shown warrant sending the cylinder heads back again?

Or is this damage typical of the volume of "new" blemished cylinder heads that fall out to the vendors from GM for CNC porting, and subsequent sale to us?
Attached Thumbnails Am I Out Of Line With My "Quality Control" Expectations?-1.jpg   Am I Out Of Line With My "Quality Control" Expectations?-2.jpg   Am I Out Of Line With My "Quality Control" Expectations?-3.jpg   Am I Out Of Line With My "Quality Control" Expectations?-4.jpg   Am I Out Of Line With My "Quality Control" Expectations?-5.jpg  

Old 02-14-2014, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you sent the vendor these pictures? I would assume that because this is on an exchange basis, these are from someone else's car originally... Someone who somehow marred the combustion chamber there near the spark plug.

Would you be able to send in your own heads to be machined? I know my car is a daily driver right now, so down time wouldn't be ideal.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
Have you sent the vendor these pictures? I would assume that because this is on an exchange basis, these are from someone else's car originally... Someone who somehow marred the combustion chamber there near the spark plug.

Would you be able to send in your own heads to be machined? I know my car is a daily driver right now, so down time wouldn't be ideal.
These pictures, no. Pictures of the previous heads which warranted the exchange for these ones, yes.

I have no intention of sending my own parts in for work, as that both isn't an option (I lack a spare set of the appropriate castings) or any interest of mine (I just want to have a free and clear transaction).

I simply want to know if I got what I paid for, or not?
Old 02-14-2014, 03:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

So you purchased what was supposed to be CNC'd new gm castings? For $1100 total? And this is the replacement set after you sent the first set back?

Stop and think about that. Quality CNC equipment is not cheap, neither is the tooling, maintenance, or a careful skilled operator. Seems to me many of the good CNC porting shops charge nearly $1000 for the labor alone much less the casting.

To keep the price to $1100 corners are being cut somewhere......................................... ..
Old 02-14-2014, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mOtOrHeAd MiKe

These pictures, no. Pictures of the previous heads which warranted the exchange for these ones, yes.

I have no intention of sending my own parts in for work, as that both isn't an option (I lack a spare set of the appropriate castings) or any interest of mine (I just want to have a free and clear transaction).

I simply want to know if I got what I paid for, or not?
I would venture to say, no. But the last heads I had machined were for an LT1 so I may be out of line here. I haven't got my 243s machined yet and if I paid 1100 for something like that I would be displeased.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
So you purchased what was supposed to be CNC'd new gm castings? For $1100 total? And this is the replacement set after you sent the first set back?

Stop and think about that. Quality CNC equipment is not cheap, neither is the tooling, maintenance, or a careful skilled operator. Seems to me many of the good CNC porting shops charge nearly $1000 for the labor alone much less the casting.

To keep the price to $1100 corners are being cut somewhere......................................... ..

Regardless, if they are being advertised as "new casting" with CNC work for $1,100, that's exactly what you should get.

If I pay for heads that are advertised as new, and they get to me looking like Mikes heads, I would send them right back, with a note attached asking for what I paid for.

If the casting are indeed new, and they screwed up with the CNC, that's on them. I shouldn't have to accept something that they messed up, just because they don't want to lose money on it.

Mike, if you accept these, they'll do it to someone else too, because they got away with it, with you.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The 2nd and 4th pictures would have me worried. I agree too that if they are advertised as new, they shouldn't look like that. The 241 heads I took off my 45,000 mile WS6 looked better than those.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Was it your impression that they were new or was it stated that they were new? Was it stated that they were seasoned?
Old 02-14-2014, 04:42 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Even if they WERE seasoned, those gouges are inexcusable.

I certainly wouldn't accept that.

*disclaimer* I have no dog in this fight, and have NO CLUE who the vendor is, but if they are indeed a sponsor here, I find it hard to believe they would send something like this.

OP, don't name any names yet. But ARE they a sponsor here?

Again, NO NAMES YET.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Well I think its a case of you get what you pay for. Those castings don't look very good to me.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

1100 is pretty cheap for a set of heads. I paid 1000 for CNC work alone, but when I got them I could see where the money went. If you ask me, it's a case of you got what you paid for. The damage by the spark plug hole is the only thing that would worry me though, and even then, it would probably be alright.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
OP, don't name any names yet. But ARE they a sponsor here?

Again, NO NAMES YET.
Yes.

And I have little intention of releasing a name, if ever, before allowing them to address this issue (again). I am simply looking for some objective input.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, did they claim that these are new casting, or did you just believe that they were for some reason?
Old 02-14-2014, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sepsis
Mike, did they claim that these are new casting, or did you just believe that they were for some reason?
Well without getting into too much detail, they didn't state anything to the contrary; and if I told you who they were it would surprise you that they weren't brand new castings.

However, I can say that they have updated their website since Nov 13 (when I made my purchase) and removed a fair bit of detail about the product.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:08 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Mike, it's been asked a few times without a clear answer from you.

Were these heads advertised, offered or sold as new castings to you?
Old 02-14-2014, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

To me, this is the kind of thing you'd expect buying used heads, but not something new. You would think a companies quality control wouldn't allow that product out the door, especially the second go around.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Mike, it's been asked a few times without a clear answer from you.

Were these heads advertised, offered or sold as new castings to you?
Based on what I have researched, no. But, without divulging too much information about the vendor I wouldn't have suspected them to use anything but new castings.

I should add that there is no indication that these cylinder heads were ever installed on an engine; so the assumption that they are "new" stands in my eyes.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

The only way to know something for damn sure is to ask them straight up and have enough faith in them that what they are telling you is the truth. That's on you in my opinion. With that said, does that excuse what they sold you, even if they were not new castings, no. Like I said, my 45,000 mile stock heads looked way better than those they sold you.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

The casting looks very rough and I see defects in casting material.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 441 Likes on 311 Posts

The vendor is most likely getting used cores from a wrecking yard. Especially at that price.

I purchased some cores that looked bad like that or even worse. I sent them back for exchange and the replacements were not much better. I could have except them if they were discounted but for what I payed, I expected clean cores. I was surprised that he wouldn't discount them accordingly as he ate the shipping both times, both ways.

I would ask for a nicer set if I was in your position.

Quick Reply: Am I Out Of Line With My "Quality Control" Expectations?