Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal in oil pickup...HELP (Thrust pics added)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Also the "steel wool" looks like left over scotch brite pads.
Checked with a magnet. Steel wool was metal.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:27 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Calypso
Yeah its a long story. I didn't check end play when I got it back the first time. I will check it myself this time before assembling the rest. As for the trans, it had a low line pressure issue...could never get enough pressure to lock the converter. There was a good 1/8 clearance on converter to flexplate. Weird thing is its the thrust face towards the rear of the engine. Most of these stories are the front face from the converter pushing the crank forward.

Also I did have an oil pressure issue (probably due to bleeding off oil to 2 turbos using a stock oil pump as pointed out by Tim). I ran Brad Penn 20/50 to bring up the pressure, but it probably wasn't enough.
Looking at the tabs on the main cap, the side that is damaged is consistent with loading on the thrust from a converter or trans issue. I've had three experiences with a blown out thrust like this and each time it was determined the trans/clutch/converter was to blame.

Their response regarding loose clearances is actually a good answer and not BS. Using a stock pump with a shortblock built for power adders is going to cause low oil pressure, unless the stock pump is from an AFM/VVT application. A higher volume pump should have been used to compensate for not only the looser clearances but the turbos as well.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:32 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Calypso
Also, is your front plug installed? I am not seeing it here, but it may be the angle of the photo.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
Looking at the tabs on the main cap, the side that is damaged is consistent with loading on the thrust from a converter or trans issue. I've had three experiences with a blown out thrust like this and each time it was determined the trans/clutch/converter was to blame.

Their response regarding loose clearances is actually a good answer and not BS. Using a stock pump with a shortblock built for power adders is going to cause low oil pressure, unless the stock pump is from an AFM/VVT application. A higher volume pump should have been used to compensate for not only the looser clearances but the turbos as well.
Agreed...it was most likely my fault. I now have a Melling HV pump to put in, can't remember the part number but I think its the +18% one.

Also, front plug is in.

Quick Reply: Metal in oil pickup...HELP (Thrust pics added)