Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got my parts for first build

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 09:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally got my parts for first build

This is my first build and finally got my parts. So what do yall think of it so far.

Fast 92 intake an tb
milled 241
Comp Xer 273
New lifters, oil pump, pushrods,

I think the cam is going to be to small but they wouldn't give me the one I wanted so I got that one for next to nothing. Only thing I debating Getting new rings. Car has 120000 so what do yall think.
Attached Thumbnails Finally got my parts for first build-img_4524.jpg  
Old 03-20-2014, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

New rings would require engine tear down, leave it alone.

Before installing those pushrods make sure they're the correct length by using a pushrod checker, and set proper preload for the lifter that you decide to run!

^ the above is very important and if not done right you can have a very bad week once you start your car up and go for a spin.

Other than that you might want to look into the comp cam rocker trunion upgrade, there's a few write ups about this mod..
Old 03-20-2014, 10:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

What's the lift on that cam? You most likely need stiffer valve springs to handle the lift.

Checking pushrod length is critical.

Unless you have extra money to blow on new lifters, trunion upgrade, valve seals, headgaskets, and other seals you should be good to go.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:50 AM
Teching In

the lift is .581 and the lifter are a must cause a couple of them arent priming up and getting very noisy. i was going to get the checker to learn how to do it because i know milling the heads might cause me to needing shorter pushrods. i keep getting mixed advice about going butting new bearing in the motor cause i will be getting spray hopefully next month
Old 03-20-2014, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thatguy1559
the lift is .581 and the lifter are a must cause a couple of them arent priming up and getting very noisy. i was going to get the checker to learn how to do it because i know milling the heads might cause me to needing shorter pushrods. i keep getting mixed advice about going butting new bearing in the motor cause i will be getting spray hopefully next month
We're just trying to prevent you from making another thread a month from now reading (ls1 valvetrain noise after head/cam swap?)

Don't just slap all those parts together, make sure you check PR length and that you know and understand how everything works properly.

If your thinking of new bearings/rings then you might want to wait on everything since the whole engine would need to be taken apart..
Old 03-20-2014, 11:59 AM
Teching In

I understand what you are saying. Cause I already got the bearings just not rings so I was just thinking should I just wait til or if I blow this motor or go ahead and freshen it up
Old 03-20-2014, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thatguy1559
I understand what you are saying. Cause I already got the bearings just not rings so I was just thinking should I just wait til or if I blow this motor or go ahead and freshen it up
Tough decision!
Old 03-20-2014, 01:04 PM
Teching In

I Know. Only thing missing left is the stall and shift kit... oh and tires lol

Quick Reply: Finally got my parts for first build