Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

403 build - Advice and Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 09:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend a new timing set instead of just an ls2 chain.
I have alot of recommendations actually. We will likely be able to get you nearly everything you want as a package deal and save on some change too.
As far as heads, since you were looking at the as cast, I would go with trick flow honestly.
Ditch the king bearings, I would go with clevite H series. We can get you all of these parts really and like i said maybe save you some dough. \
I would also use the Morel Drop In lifters IF you are going to use the non tie bar kind.
There are a few other recommendations, but if you want to email me we can get quite a bit more in depth.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Decadence75
I had planned to have a cleanup hone to 4.005 and make a 403 but the general consensus it to just go straight for the 4.030 and a 408 so that's what I'm going to do. Here is my current planned parts list for the build. All opinions and advice is welcome. Thanks!
Just for comparison, also from Texas Speed, assembled and good to go !

http://texas-speed.com/p-588-tsp-408...ort-block.aspx
Old 04-26-2014, 03:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
I would recommend a new timing set instead of just an ls2 chain.
I have alot of recommendations actually. We will likely be able to get you nearly everything you want as a package deal and save on some change too.
As far as heads, since you were looking at the as cast, I would go with trick flow honestly.
Ditch the king bearings, I would go with clevite H series. We can get you all of these parts really and like i said maybe save you some dough. \
I would also use the Morel Drop In lifters IF you are going to use the non tie bar kind.
There are a few other recommendations, but if you want to email me we can get quite a bit more in depth.
E-mail sent.

Originally Posted by ez2cdave
Just for comparison, also from Texas Speed, assembled and good to go !

http://texas-speed.com/p-588-tsp-408...ort-block.aspx
That was actually my original plan. However a local guy popped up unexpectedly with an entire LQ4 for sale at a good price and on a whim I decided to go for it. When he told me it was a complete LQ4 I was expecting a longblock with an intake maybe. Oh no, what he dropped off looked like The Hulk just ripped it straight from the engine bay. It still had all the hoses and motor mounts hanging off it, haha. So I am hoping by the time I part it all out that I will essentially have gotten the block for free. On a side note I really enjoy building things and I personally take a good degree of satisfaction from doing it all myself. Even though it will likely end up costing me a bit more in the long run. It will also allow me to pick and choose each and every part that goes into the build as it is done instead of a pre-assembled shortblock that might not have this, that or the other that I would have wanted done differently.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:52 PM
TECH Resident

Was just looking at the PowerNation Engine Power episodes for Iron Animal where they were building a 408 stroker all with parts ordered from summit and what interested me was the Trick Flow 255 GenX heads. With a FAST 102/102 setup they managed 573 on an engine dyno N/A. Does anyone have experience with these heads or have an opinion on them versus the PRCs? They look pretty nice for the price and if I understand correctly OEM quality powdered metal guides for factory rocker friendly setups.

Here are links to the episodes:
http://www.powernationtv.com/episode...-a-408-stroker

http://www.powernationtv.com/episode...-testing-heads
Old 05-04-2014, 07:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The trick flow head is one badass head. Period. I recommend them every chance i get for good reason. But summit owns trick flow, so that is the primary reason they used those heads.

We have made 525/500 to the wheels on a 408 with our custom ported cnc ls3 heads and custom ported ls3 intake on an 02 WS6 M6 with a 12bolt. You dont HAVE to break the bank to make good power, but you do have to spend some money. Buying quality parts and putting them together in a total package will always net good results.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

The trick flow head is one badass head. Period. I recommend them every chance i get for good reason. But summit owns trick flow, so that is the primary reason they used those heads.

We have made 525/500 to the wheels on a 408 with our custom ported cnc ls3 heads and custom ported ls3 intake on an 02 WS6 M6 with a 12bolt. You dont HAVE to break the bank to make good power, but you do have to spend some money. Buying quality parts and putting them together in a total package will always net good results.
This is the first time I've seriously though about an LS3 top end for the build. I was thinking of sticking with a cath port for the low/mid torque that it offers. But this has me a little more interested in maybe a rect port head.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

the trick flow has more possibilities with the different intakes avail for the cathedral port, and will likely make better power than with a cnc stock casting LS3 top end. The valve angle helps out alot. Alot of people "budget build" a 6l block with as cast ls3 heads. they are leaving so much on the table that way, but also skipping past the better aftermarket heads that are either same price (trick flow as casts are $1800 roughly) as the cnc ls3 castings or not much more.
The total package should be looked at more than any one portion ie top end or bottom end.
But we can build power with both.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

the trick flow has more possibilities with the different intakes avail for the cathedral port, and will likely make better power than with a cnc stock casting LS3 top end. The valve angle helps out alot. Alot of people "budget build" a 6l block with as cast ls3 heads. they are leaving so much on the table that way, but also skipping past the better aftermarket heads that are either same price (trick flow as casts are $1800 roughly) as the cnc ls3 castings or not much more.
The total package should be looked at more than any one portion ie top end or bottom end.
But we can build power with both.
When I mentioned considering an LS3 top end I didn't mean stock castings, sorry for the confusion. It was the LS3 GenX 255 head that I was specifically looking at if I were to consider a rectangle port head. I just am not sure that it would be worth it over one of the cathedral options. I probably won't be looking at any OEM casting for this build. It's mostly a road warrior that will see little to any track time so I was thinking that cathedral would probably be a better option, especially since I already have the rails and rockers.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well whether you build it for the street or strip, they are great heads. The intake options are open more for cathedral port. They are also available in quite a few different sizes and even as cast so you can have someone else work their magic or just run them as is and have a good combo.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

Well whether you build it for the street or strip, they are great heads. The intake options are open more for cathedral port. They are also available in quite a few different sizes and even as cast so you can have someone else work their magic or just run them as is and have a good combo.
Thanks for the advice. Something for me to keep in mind while making the decision.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:16 AM
TECH Resident

Updated build list.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:13 AM
TECH Resident

Updated list. Added cam specs, injectors, updated intake and added TB
Old 06-21-2014, 01:05 AM
TECH Resident

Added FTP 104mm Lid and the possibility of LS3 turned down valves on the heads.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:42 AM
TECH Resident

Sorry that I have been so absent lately and not updating the build. The sorry truth is that I have made zero progress in the last year. I ended up sinking all my money into a new business I started this year, otherwise the engine would be done.

I am thinking at this point I might change direction a little bit. Since I have precious little time to work on projects right now I was thinking that instead of building my engine ground up like I wanted, picking up a 408 shortblock from a reputable vendor then slapping heads/cam/intake on top of it. Shouldn't be that much of a difference in price.

Another route I've considered is instead of spending all this bank on building an awesome N/A engine is instead just getting a 6L drop out from a truck, adding the appropriate cam and going TT like kit available here. The F2 TT kit. 98-02 F-Body Turbo Systems

Quick Reply: 403 build - Advice and Opinions