Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped threads on 317 cylinder head

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Stripped threads on 317 cylinder head

I was checking the pre load with the turns method on the intake #2 cylinder and noticed that the rocker bolt would not tighten.The threads in the head are stripped.The bolt is ok. I know I will have to remove the cylinder head to fix this problem.

My question is can that be tig welded and re-threaded? I have a lot of money in those heads and don't want to replace the one head.I assume that you can't install a helicoil on that because of the force.What do you guys think?
Old 04-19-2014, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-arm-bolt.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...coil-hold.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...d-what-do.html
Old 04-19-2014, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by transwiz
I was checking the pre load with the turns method on the intake #2 cylinder and noticed that the rocker bolt would not tighten.The threads in the head are stripped.The bolt is ok. I know I will have to remove the cylinder head to fix this problem.

My question is can that be tig welded and re-threaded? I have a lot of money in those heads and don't want to replace the one head.I assume that you can't install a helicoil on that because of the force.What do you guys think?
Research helicoil thread repair kit. That might help.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Helicoil or thread insert. Shouldnt have to remove the head unless the hole runs into a coolant passage
Old 04-19-2014, 06:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by transwiz

Helicoils are stronger than tapped holes.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I called a vette mechanic I know and he said the way too fix this is to remove the intake manifold and install a rag inside the intake port. The hump in the intake runner is ground down (ported heads).Drill it out and put in a helicoil.When I did this post I was in utter shock to put it bluntly.

The problem is some idiot I paid to do the top end over tightened all the rocker bolts and I had to use a breaker bar to get them loose.I don't trust these heads now. Thanks guys for your responses.

Quick Reply: Stripped threads on 317 cylinder head