Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crack between valves on 799 heads

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crack between valves on 799 heads

I was looking to get a set of 799 heads that have been worked over. Then found out that one has a crack between the valve seats. Heard its pretty common. So I figured I'd just pickup one head and have him work it over to match the non cracked head. Well I get it home and it also has barely noticeable cracks also. I'd venture to say there is a lot of vehicles out there running g around with heads that have this hair crack. Is this a common thing? It will be on a fairly stock bottom end with a ms4 cam. Is this a OK thing to run? I hear mixed ideas. Thanks for your time

Jimmy
Old 05-01-2014, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Man I've wondered the same thing. Even on eBay there is a store that has about 5 sets and they either have the crack or a broken bolt somewhere. I just went ahead and hopped on the 243's instead
Old 05-01-2014, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had bought a pair of used AFR heads that had cracks and missing material between the valves. It is common on AFR heads because the valves are setup so close. You should have them pressure tested and as long as they test okay, run them.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I had bought a pair of used AFR heads that had cracks and missing material between the valves. It is common on AFR heads because the valves are setup so close. You should have them pressure tested and as long as they test okay, run them.
The material isn't missing anywhere on these. Just a crack you can barely see. My issue with these are with the seat falling out I guess.these are some nice heads that have been worked over.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im relatively new to the ls game but this is a very common issue on the 3800 v6s
Old 05-02-2014, 02:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2kgtp
im relatively new to the ls game but this is a very common issue on the 3800 v6s
What do you guys do when you find it?
Old 05-02-2014, 02:59 AM
On The Tree

I bet that theres alot of people out there running around with these heads and cracks and have no idea. To glance at them they look fine. But if you clean them up real good then you can see the crack if you look real close.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Why not just get them pressure tested??? It's cheap insurance that will tell you if the heads are good or not. If I saw visible cracks, I'd sure as hell pay to have them checked before I put them on an expensive engine with expensive parts.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

Why not just get them pressure tested??? It's cheap insurance that will tell you if the heads are good or not. If I saw visible cracks, I'd sure as hell pay to have them checked before I put them on an expensive engine with expensive parts.
Becuae there in California and I'm in Ohio lol. I'll see if he can do it.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JIMS SVT
Becuae there in California and I'm in Ohio lol. I'll see if he can do it.
I would have him do that before you buy them, but that's just me. If he has the paperwork from the machine shop showing they checked out good and are ready to bolt on, then you're good to go. Whether he pays to have it done, or you do, I'd rather him do it while they are still in his possession, as opposed to you buying them, having them checked, then heaven forbid something's wrong because at that point, the sale has been completed and you may not get your money back.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

I would have him do that before you buy them, but that's just me. If he has the paperwork from the machine shop showing they checked out good and are ready to bolt on, then you're good to go. Whether he pays to have it done, or you do, I'd rather him do it while they are still in his possession, as opposed to you buying them, having them checked, then heaven forbid something's wrong because at that point, the sale has been completed and you may not get your money back.
That's the plan.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Good deal. Just trying to save someone else the hassle of what I had to go through several years ago. That's one great thing about LS1tech is that we all look out for each other.

Quick Reply: Crack between valves on 799 heads