Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious damage during cam removal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014 | 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Scratches that run from the inside then travel directly across to the outside of the bearing edge are what you need to be concerned about. Verify that there are no raised ridges on the scratch borders, then run it.
Old 06-09-2014 | 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

He's fine, it looks worse than it is.
Old 06-09-2014 | 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Okay, so I've yet to do a cam swap, but for what reason would you want to run that when it looks so bad? Just asking my n00b question.
Old 06-09-2014 | 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

If you never changed cam bearings in a LS1 then you wouldn't understand. It was minor damage, nothing to worry about. Its a cam bearing, its not that fussy. BUT installing a new one improperly will surely ruin your day-days...............
Old 06-09-2014 | 11:13 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
If you never changed cam bearings in a LS1 then you wouldn't understand. It was minor damage, nothing to worry about. Its a cam bearing, its not that fussy. BUT installing a new one improperly will surely ruin your day-days...............
Cam bearings not that fussy? yeah right.. shitty cam bearing cause TONS of issues. Babbit bearings need to be spot free for more reasons than i care to sit here and type. If that where my motor i would have had that bearing out immediately.
Old 06-10-2014 | 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah those cam bearings are a ball of technical madness...............

please inform us of your technical diversity so we shall all profit from your truly amazing insight !

I've seen them worn down to the copper backing without a issue in sight.....so please tell me all perils surrounding a cam bearing with a few scratches on it?

Honestly I think most of you guys don't know anything BUT like to bark like a dog. I'll bet none of you even changed or even measured a cam bearing in your what 2-3 years of wrench turning.

I've worked on 1000's of engines...the BS stops at my computer screen.

Last edited by RockinWs6; 06-10-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-10-2014 | 09:15 AM
Launching!

TECH Junkie

Boys, boys....this is one of those times when an owner needs to decide for himself what is appropriate.
We make the decision, then live with it.
Thomas Paine..."These are the times that try men's souls..."
8 Second Club

Yeah those cam bearings are a ball of technical madness............... please inform us of your technical diversity so we shall all profit from your truly amazing insight ! I've seen them worn down to the copper backing without a issue in sight.....so please tell me all perils surrounding a cam bearing with a few scratches on it? Honestly I think most of you guys don't know anything BUT like to bark like a dog. I'll bet none of you even changed or even measured a cam bearing in your what 2-3 years of wrench turning. I've worked on 1000's of engines...the BS stops at my computer screen.
MAN! you must be a top notch mechanic then! Your a fool to leave a babbitt bearing in ANY engine in that condition but hey you already knew that right? With all of your top notch experience and no bullshit approach! good luck on engine # 2000 you expert, you!

Last edited by oscs; 06-10-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-10-2014 | 09:25 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by gMAG

Boys, boys....this is one of those times when an owner needs to decide for himself what is appropriate.
We make the decision, then live with it.
Thomas Paine..."These are the times that try men's souls..."
Agreed but i cant help but open my mouth when you have morons like that guy saying faulty cam bearings don't cause issues and "ive seen tons of them worn down to the copper with no issues" Just becuase you've seen engines with run down bearings to the copper that is warrant for you to spread shitty advise? I think not

I'VE seen tons of bearings failures in gas motors/hydraulic fracturing pump/ CNG compressors with as little as a scratch. How do you ask? contaminates in the oil collect in the scratch pushing oil out. Guess what happens next? The spot on the rod that passes over the oiless contaminated bearing scratch becomes hot.. do the math from there. Did it happen over night? no, but babbitt is a sensitive material that needs to be scratch/contaminate free.

ramble over.. just thought id throw that out there

Last edited by oscs; 06-10-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-10-2014 | 11:33 AM
On The Tree
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by NuckenFuts
Thats to good, everyone says replace and you're like F it Im running it LOL
F it I'm doing it live! Lol No honestly the pictures did not do it justice the bearing was not that bad at all and smooth to the touch. The worst of the damage and my biggest concern was the gouge in the block which doesn't come in contact with the cam anyway.
Old 06-10-2014 | 11:54 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by blt91RS
F it I'm doing it live! Lol No honestly the pictures did not do it justice the bearing was not that bad at all and smooth to the touch. The worst of the damage and my biggest concern was the gouge in the block which doesn't come in contact with the cam anyway.
Hey man at the end of the day it's your car! Just thought I'd share what I've seen in the past
Old 06-10-2014 | 12:38 PM
11 Second Club

If the bearing got whacked and is loose or off in the block, If anything got in the hole, these things should put an end to the engine. Other than that at least change the oil before starting it and keep those fingers crossed. Best of luck to ya. You might get lucky.
Old 06-10-2014 | 03:21 PM
TECH Junkie

If you do decide to change that bearing, it's the front one, and being so visible, should be the easiest to replace!
How about that, for a compromise?
Old 06-10-2014 | 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So basically what can I do to prevent the same happening to me when I swap cams ? Support the cam better ? Pull it straight out with out twisting it much ?
Old 06-10-2014 | 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Don't worry about because its not that important............relax and enjoy your car.
Old 06-10-2014 | 06:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jmargo
So basically what can I do to prevent the same happening to me when I swap cams ? Support the cam better ? Pull it straight out with out twisting it much ?
First make sure you get 3 long bolts to screw into the end so you have more area to control that sucker when you pull out (some guys use 1bolt I use 3). I pull out very slow trying to keep it level and a little twist back and forth. Really not much to it besides go slow and be careful.
Old 06-10-2014 | 08:34 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

http://www.coloradospeed.com/durabon...6-p-32961.html

we got em very inexpensive! whole set but a good set!

I would rather be safe than sorry and have to pull it all back apart again OR have the bearing do worse things like spin or get damaged worse.
Old 06-10-2014 | 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by oscs
Agreed but i cant help but open my mouth when you have morons like that guy saying faulty cam bearings don't cause issues and "ive seen tons of them worn down to the copper with no issues" Just becuase you've seen engines with run down bearings to the copper that is warrant for you to spread shitty advise? I think not

I'VE seen tons of bearings failures in gas motors/hydraulic fracturing pump/ CNG compressors with as little as a scratch. How do you ask? contaminates in the oil collect in the scratch pushing oil out. Guess what happens next? The spot on the rod that passes over the oiless contaminated bearing scratch becomes hot.. do the math from there. Did it happen over night? no, but babbitt is a sensitive material that needs to be scratch/contaminate free.

ramble over.. just thought id throw that out there
Seriously guy you don't have a clue what you posting about. Go back to jrville and learn.
Old 06-11-2014 | 07:24 AM
8 Second Club

Seriously guy you don't have a clue what you posting about. Go back to jrville and learn.

that's all you got? Mr. Don't twist a cam when pulling it out.. I wonder how many of those "1,000" engines you've fucked up. Your the perfect example of "don't believe everything you hear on the internet"

Last edited by oscs; 06-11-2014 at 07:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Serious damage during cam removal?