Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next step up from 228r..feel like I need something bigger.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Goal: Have a car that feels fast at any rpm.

When I drive on a random day sure I might bang a few gears but most of the time I'm driving pretty modestly, granny shifting at ~4k. I want that to still be enjoyable, I don't want to feel like I have to bang it off the rev limiter to get thrown back in my seat. I want power everywhere.

I thought I had mentioned the gears in a prior reply, my mistake. I can easily throw in a 3.73, 3.91, 4.10 gearset..but my thinking was that on my specific swap (BMW M3) which not only has IRS (I believe IRS<live axle as far as traction goes) but is very limited on how much rubber I can put back there, the 3.38 would be better off. Correct me if I am wrong? Maybe it is still worth swapping to something else.

And maybe I should stick with the 228r, but at the same time why not explore my options? It's brand new, in packaging. So it will be easy to sell at a minimal loss.

I picked the 228r back when I was planning on using stock heads, stock compression ratio etc. My build has come a long way from back then..I guess I just feel I should make the change to a newer tech cam while I'm at it.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I personally think that cam, and others near that size, are a great all around cam. They do make very broad power bands, they are a nice middle ground. Any higher and low end suffers, any lower and top end starts to suffer. Gearing is a sure fire way to add that all around power feel, but then traction becomes an issue, and your limited by tire size. So then you need gear and a stickier tire right? But this is your daily so you want an all season? See where I'm going. There is gonna be a compromise, it will exist whether you accept it or go out kicking and screaming. The point of modding is to take the losses that are less important and gain the ones you value. So, that being said I vote run the 228 and do a gear swap for that feeling your after....and deal with the traction consequences.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 205 Likes on 124 Posts

Change isn't always Good !
Old 06-25-2014, 04:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

So the car isn't even put together and driving yet?

If the cam is still new in the box maybe someone could spec you something that would make a touch more under the curve but you are still going to lose money on it and if you haven't even driven it yet, the 228r might be exactly what you are wanting.

I would expect traction problems down low no matter which cam or gear you put in it. But more aggressive gearing should still help in higher gears of the trans.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Ok...now I'm confused. ...have you EVER even driven a 228r cam? If not...what other cam profiles have YOU experienced? Otherwise you don't even have a baseline by which to judge ANY cam for that matter...
Old 06-25-2014, 10:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

^^^^^dats da troof.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had it and didn't really like it. It didn't really "light off" until about 3-3.5k RPM. After that it was a lot of fun. Mines was on a 114 LSA though.

I'd want a cam that really took off at 2.5k, even if it meant that it fell off a little at the top.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

ive been in your position before trying to decide on cams and started with a 228r . it is a good cam and will put out some power but if you have bigger cams on your mind you should go with it or else you will be changing again like i did !!
not much difference in driveability from a 228r to a 233/240 imo. but i picked up 3 tenths in the 1/4 in worse d/a and partial tuned.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by jb3golf
have you EVER even driven a 228r cam?
Nope. Never even driven/rode in an LS car.

That doesn't mean I can't make an educated, informed decision on what cam I should choose based on other peoples experience's and supporting dyno graphs. Will that only get me so far? Yes. Do I care or have any other choice? No.

Originally Posted by redtan
You should look for a similar cam but maybe with the intake duration a little shorter to build more compression and torque.
Going off of this comment, and the fact that Martin from tick emphasized this as well, I'm leaning towards the Sns stage 2. If Ed had a little more info on what type of lobes he uses I would probably go with the street sweeper just because he practicaly wrote the book on all of this stuff..but alas, no luck. I'm going to study some dyno graphs and get back to ya'll.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Exidous
I had it and didn't really like it. It didn't really "light off" until about 3-3.5k RPM. After that it was a lot of fun. Mines was on a 114 LSA though.

I'd want a cam that really took off at 2.5k, even if it meant that it fell off a little at the top.
That is as much the nature of the LS engines as anything. I would guess due to head design. Even my 5.3 truck with the stock cam has a noticeable pick up in the higher RPMs.

My 230/224 also came on HARD at around 3-3.5k on the stock converter, after the stall converter went in WOT means the car instantly jumps to 3600-4000rpm. Hence why anyone with an LS car wanting performance is wise to get a mid 3000s converter as a priority. Let the engine eat where it was made to eat.

Tuning the PE entry sections of the tune can also help with this, GM sets it fairly high in the RPMs.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
And you think LSL lobes are a mild lobe and easy on the valvetrain?

You have a lot to learn.
I appreciate your quote here...lol...However the SNS Cams are a mixture of lsl, huc and lxl lobes. The lobes on these cams are designed for valvetrain stability. ..i never said these lobes are mild and easy....i said they are EASIER hence more stable on the valvetrain versus XER lobes.... this is my understanding of how Martin Smallwood designed them..NOW if I'm wrong or inaccurate on those statements. .Please enlighten me...A person of respect and wisdom not only shares what is misunderstood. .they have the quality and character to provide helpful information to clear those misunderstandings up....imo

Last edited by jb3golf; 06-26-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 228R with either budget 5.3 or ls6 heads would put down over 420rwhp. Mine did on a low reading mustang dyno.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:55 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a graph of what the 228 R did in my car. Out of box AFR 205 heads were used.

Quick Reply: Next step up from 228r..feel like I need something bigger.