Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First Heads/Cam Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have zero mechanical ability, and just did my head and cam swap myself with the help of my good friend blkbird.

It was fun and learned cool stuff. I will say that it is straight forward process. Just make sure to take your time, and be patient. Expect a few roadblocks and few extra trips to parts store.

Ls1howto and post up questions on here and you will be good to go.

Pretty good feeling to do it on your own rather than pay a shop. Plus you know nothing shady happend to your car.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
I have zero mechanical ability, and just did my head and cam swap myself with the help of my good friend blkbird.

It was fun and learned cool stuff. I will say that it is straight forward process. Just make sure to take your time, and be patient. Expect a few roadblocks and few extra trips to parts store.

Ls1howto and post up questions on here and you will be good to go.

Pretty good feeling to do it on your own rather than pay a shop. Plus you know nothing shady happend to your car.
The comments so far have me convinced I can do the install myself with enough patience and attention to detail.

My concern now is tuning, did you trailer your car to a shop for tuning?
Old 07-12-2014, 08:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NW-99SS

It adds up fast, but you are on the right track. Add to that new coolant, oil and filter for first 50 or so miles, etc. I ended up adding a lot of ARP bolts to my install, especially recommend the intake bolts as I seem to have had to pull mine multiple times for different reasons.

I also replaced the water pump and timing chain cover gaskets. Didn't want to have to pull the crank pulley again if there was a leak.
Thanks, I'll go ahead and add to the list. I'm thinking of going used when it comes to heads to reduce some cost. I'll probably be buying this stuff over the course of 6 months or so rather than buying all at once.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by s7ven
The comments so far have me convinced I can do the install myself with enough patience and attention to detail.

My concern now is tuning, did you trailer your car to a shop for tuning?

Yeah i will be trailoring my car to get it tuned. I still need a converter installed.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks, I'll go ahead and add to the list. I'm thinking of going used when it comes to heads to reduce some cost. I'll probably be buying this stuff over the course of 6 months or so rather than buying all at once.

Dont go cheap on heads and valvetrain. Get all new stuff.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you want to cut some cost I'd start with #4. $380.00 Harland Sharp SLS17 - 1.7 Ratio RR's , and just do the trunion upgrade to the factory rockers. I'd then consider the TFS GenX 220 Cylinder Heads for about $1750 a pair. You're still getting a excellent set of heads that will still work great with future upgrades. So that's another $860 there, or about $1100 total. Also keep in mind that most often you can write off shipping cost by keeping your purchase dollar amounts up above a set amount, through many of the LS1Tech sponsors.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 07-12-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Lots of people drive them to the tuner, just don't install larger injectors until you get there. I drove mine and it was fine besides it stalled a few times, go real easy on it.

After the first test drive around the block or whatever, change the oil again. It will probably still have a lot of residual fluid in it.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
If you want to cut some cost I'd start with #4. $380.00 Harland Sharp SLS17 - 1.7 Ratio RR's , and just do the trunion upgrade to the factory rockers. I'd then consider the TFS GenX 220 Cylinder Heads for about $1750 a pair. You're still getting a excellent set of heads that will still work great with future upgrades. So that's another $860 there, or about $1100 total. Also keep in mind that most often you can write off shipping cost by keeping your purchase dollar amounts up above a set amount, through many of the LS1Tech sponsors.
I'll definitely consider it because saving $1000 would help me out a lot in the end.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
Lots of people drive them to the tuner, just don't install larger injectors until you get there. I drove mine and it was fine besides it stalled a few times, go real easy on it.

After the first test drive around the block or whatever, change the oil again. It will probably still have a lot of residual fluid in it.
Glad to hear that is a possibility because it's very difficult to get my lowered car onto a trailer. I'll be sure to take it real easy but as for the fuel injectors, with my hp goals should I be looking at buying bigger injectors/fuel pump as well?
Old 07-13-2014, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You will definately need injectors....I'd get 42lb. Fuel pump isn't a bad idea but i don't have one and have been fine.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

@S7ven, I'd have to agree with 99Bluz28, I'd 86 the idea of the Harland Sharp rockers for the Comp trunnions and running the TFS 220's (or even PRC's or Ported LS6's). I think you're asking all of the right questions and being honest with your own abilities. You should have no problems tackling this project on your own. On the upside, you'll come out knowing a lot more about your ride from firsthand experience. Have fun!
Old 07-13-2014, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in the home stretch of a cam/head swap myself. I largely agree with everything said above. I went through Texas speed to buy the cam kit, maryland speed for the slp oil pump /double roller timing chain upgrade and brian tooley racing slr lifters as far as buying the majority of things from sponsors. I have the same under the curve goal as well with little concern for peak hp. I saved money by sticking with the ls1 head and just having it milled/valve job as well as cleaning up the ls1 intake manifold. I left power on the table but I had a price cap of $2,000.
Chose to use tsp comp cams grind 224/228 .58x/.58x 110lsa, this was as close as I could get to the torque cam recommendation on here i think by 99Bluz28 actually. the lower 110lsa should make this mid cam lope and keep the power lower for DD duty.
Judging simply by your post count I'd say you have the majority of research done, and you know this forum is a powerful source of info.
F.Y.I 1: you definitely need new injectors, call fuel injection connection they have been helpful for me. 2: Driving untuned on stock injectors has been proven to work.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 93Z2871805
@S7ven, I'd have to agree with 99Bluz28, I'd 86 the idea of the Harland Sharp rockers for the Comp trunnions and running the TFS 220's (or even PRC's or Ported LS6's). I think you're asking all of the right questions and being honest with your own abilities. You should have no problems tackling this project on your own. On the upside, you'll come out knowing a lot more about your ride from firsthand experience. Have fun!
Been looking forward to this project for a long time, I thought my power addiction had been satiated with bolt ons but now I want that choppy idle and power that breaks the tires loose in second gear. Thanks for the info, going to do some research and decide on my heads before anything else. Tfs 220s are looking real good
Old 07-13-2014, 11:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PhoneniX
I am in the home stretch of a cam/head swap myself. I largely agree with everything said above. I went through Texas speed to buy the cam kit, maryland speed for the slp oil pump /double roller timing chain upgrade and brian tooley racing slr lifters as far as buying the majority of things from sponsors. I have the same under the curve goal as well with little concern for peak hp. I saved money by sticking with the ls1 head and just having it milled/valve job as well as cleaning up the ls1 intake manifold. I left power on the table but I had a price cap of $2,000.
Chose to use tsp comp cams grind 224/228 .58x/.58x 110lsa, this was as close as I could get to the torque cam recommendation on here i think by 99Bluz28 actually. the lower 110lsa should make this mid cam lope and keep the power lower for DD duty.
Judging simply by your post count I'd say you have the majority of research done, and you know this forum is a powerful source of info.
F.Y.I 1: you definitely need new injectors, call fuel injection connection they have been helpful for me. 2: Driving untuned on stock injectors has been proven to work.
Thanks for the info, adding injectors to the list for sure and I'll keep them in mind when I start ordering. Sounds like we have similar end goals so I'll be interested to hear your feedback after the swap. Cam specs have been something I've looked at pretty hard recently. A little fuzzy on the choosing a cam for a particular set of heads but I understand the general theory of how cam specs effect valvetrain, drivability, and power. Can't wait to hear a decent overlap cam making sweet music through kooks tds.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
You will definately need injectors....I'd get 42lb. Fuel pump isn't a bad idea but i don't have one and have been fine.
Will do, awesome looking car by the way.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You are much better off buying a new TFS as cast 225 head which will save you money or a PRC as cast 225 head which will save you even more money if you use your stock rocker arms with a milder lobed cam for your 450rwhp goal. The costs or problems end up running into with used heads is they think they can bolt them on and run them when in reality they might need a valve job, someone had crappy valve train geometry and now the valve guides are worn, the springs are shot and don't have enough seat pressure for the cam you are looking to run. You would have to get the used heads for a rather good deal to ensure if any of those happen you still come out ahead. Sometimes it can be all of them.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Always2Slow

You are much better off buying a new TFS as cast 225 head which will save you money or a PRC as cast 225 head which will save you even more money if you use your stock rocker arms with a milder lobed cam for your 450rwhp goal. The costs or problems end up running into with used heads is they think they can bolt them on and run them when in reality they might need a valve job, someone had crappy valve train geometry and now the valve guides are worn, the springs are shot and don't have enough seat pressure for the cam you are looking to run. You would have to get the used heads for a rather good deal to ensure if any of those happen you still come out ahead. Sometimes it can be all of them.
Oh wow, didn't realize there was so much risk involved but good to know. I won't be looking at used then. I've purchased some used suspension parts in the past and gotten ripped so I definitely don't want that here.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say read all the install guides you can. I have often found that key details are left out of some so it helps to combine knowledge you gain from all of them.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it yourself, there are quite a few good books that were helpful to me written by Joseph Potak, and Will Handzel. Pay attention to detail take your time things should go smooth.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WS6ICK2k
Do it yourself, there are quite a few good books that were helpful to me written by Joseph Potak, and Will Handzel. Pay attention to detail take your time things should go smooth.
I've been looking for some good book references so I'll check them out. I'm thinking one of the books I've read so far was actually written by Potak, good information.

Quick Reply: My First Heads/Cam Install