Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker arm rubbing valve spring cap

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker arm rubbing valve spring cap

I just pulled my valve cover off because i heard a ticking noise at about 2k rpm.The valvespring caps are all marred up. what could this be from? I installed the brute speed blower cam the comp 26926-16ti valve springs and 7.40 comp pushrods. Ive had the valve springs, pushrods, cam all installed and have been drivin on for about 2000 miles

Old 08-15-2014, 09:43 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

You should have a ton more clearance than that between the body and the retainer. What's the installed height of the valve springs? Are you using longer than stock valve stems?

Best pics I have of mine where you can clearly see the spacing:

Last edited by JakeFusion; 08-15-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by ul-ss
i just pulled my valve cover off because i heard a ticking noise at about 2k rpm.the valvespring caps are all marred up. What could this be from? I installed the brute speed blower cam the comp 26926-16ti valve springs and 7.40 comp pushrods. Ive had the valve springs, pushrods, cam all installed and have been drivin on for about 2000 miles

beehive springs and retainers!!
Old 08-15-2014, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look at your install height and retainers.

Tim
Old 08-15-2014, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

How can I measure the install height?
Old 08-15-2014, 10:13 PM
Super Hulk Smash

This shows it.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Rocker pedestal?
Old 08-15-2014, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by DietCoke
Rocker pedestal?
Correct.

Look at the pedestal.

It appears to be cracked in the picture. It also appears that specific rocker arm is sitting lower than it should compared to the next one. Look at how the rocker arm is sitting on that valve tip.

I bet the issue might be there.

Also you should check the installed height to make sure everything is correct.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

In the first picture, it looks like the pedestal is cracked. I would start by pulling all the rocker arms and the pedestal base off for a careful inspection.

If you are still using the stock valves in the stock unworked heads, then installed height of the spring won't really matter for this clearance issue. It's important for other reasons, but won't solve your clearance issue.

If you replaced the valves, then you may have installed one's that are too long, and the upper tip is too high. If they are stock valves, then the machinist may have cut the seats and valve faces too much; which raises the tip.

If the heads and valves are all stock, and there's nothing wrong with the pedestals, then you installed springs that are a little bit to big in diameter. You have a couple of options that may or may not work.

If you really need that much spring pressure, then you can try shimming up the rocker arms a little bit. If you do that, you'll need longer push rods. Be sure and check the tip pattern to be sure you can get away with that.

The other option is to convert to aftermarket rockers that are made for springs that big. Considering your spring pressures, that would be the better option IMO.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

In the first picture, it looks like the pedestal is cracked. I would start by pulling all the rocker arms and the pedestal base off for a careful inspection.

If you are still using the stock valves in the stock unworked heads, then installed height of the spring won't really matter for this clearance issue. It's important for other reasons, but won't solve your clearance issue.

If you replaced the valves, then you may have installed one's that are too long, and the upper tip is too high. If they are stock valves, then the machinist may have cut the seats and valve faces too much; which raises the tip.

If the heads and valves are all stock, and there's nothing wrong with the pedestals, then you installed springs that are a little bit to big in diameter. You have a couple of options that may or may not work.

If you really need that much spring pressure, then you can try shimming up the rocker arms a little bit. If you do that, you'll need longer push rods. Be sure and check the tip pattern to be sure you can get away with that.

The other option is to convert to aftermarket rockers that are made for springs that big. Considering your spring pressures, that would be the better option IMO.

If you don't need that much spring pressure, then look for some new springs that are not as big around. I'm also a fan of beehive springs.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:14 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Something is definitely up with the rocker pedestal. The whole rocker is way too low and there does appear to be a crack. Looks like you have the Trunion upgrade as well. I'd pull that rocker and check the trunion to see if it's worn at all and then take a closer look at the pedestal.

If all is okay, you'll need to check the installed height to verify that you're valve is sitting properly in the head. As bob noted and I asked earlier, the only real way to get a longer valve is via an aftermarket valve or through machining.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:23 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

It seems there could be several problems, but I would still recommend that you check the installed height. The valve tips look sunken into the retainers like the wrong locks were used. This could potentially cause the retainers ("caps") to have a taller installed height and less clearance between the rocker arm.

You'll need to use an installed height micrometer, similar to the one pictured below:

Old 08-16-2014, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

im back at the car right now and the pedestal doesnt appear to be cracked it looks like a casting mark, but im going to clean it up some more and take a better looks at it. Im also trying to get my hands on a install height micrometer
Old 08-16-2014, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

could the springs be too big in diameter for the stock rockers?
Old 08-16-2014, 04:10 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Could be, but I thought the 926 springs were a drop in replacement LS spring from Comp?
Old 08-16-2014, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the only problem is that that they are rubbing- I'd pull all the spring caps off and have a machinist put a large chamfer on the OD. it looks like they only juuust touch so this may gain you enough clearance.

But I'm cheap like that.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:37 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by ul-ss
could the springs be too big in diameter for the stock rockers?
No, pretty much everyone's springs (duals at least) are the same OD at approximately 1.30" and they clear fine when setup and installed properly. You can't really go much larger than that due to the ID of the machined spring pocket in the heads.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:39 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by flyingbrick88
If the only problem is that that they are rubbing- I'd pull all the spring caps off and have a machinist put a large chamfer on the OD. it looks like they only juuust touch so this may gain you enough clearance.

But I'm cheap like that.
Don't do that. You could weaken the retainer and cause it to break and you risk dropping a valve. Being cheap will often cost the most in this hobby. Do what's free first, take measurements.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
Don't do that. You could weaken the retainer and cause it to break and you risk dropping a valve. Being cheap will often cost the most in this hobby. Do what's free first, take measurements.
Well Said!!!
Old 08-16-2014, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Were these heads worked? If you have then the rocker may have been sunk farther into the seat and the valve tip becomes higher. The rocker tip is also far to the intake side of the valve stem closed.

As others have stated, you need to take a bunch of measurements to figure out the exact problem and go from there.

What is the setup?

Quick Reply: Rocker arm rubbing valve spring cap