Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice/suggestions on starting to mod my first F-body (01ws6)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice/suggestions on starting to mod my first F-body (01ws6)

Well as of now , Im trying to get ideas of which direction I want to go with the car.. I was first thinking about doing bolt ons and a procharger, but thats too much for me to swing after buying the car, so I figured I would just start with heads and cam, like almost everyone else, as it will be a good support mod for the future anyways ..

Ive been doing ALOT of reading up in here, and the more I read the more confusing it gets as I am looking at Soooooo many different setups.. Its too overwhelming right now, considering I barely know the platform..

But here is what I do see alot of

1) The $1800 cam/219cc ported head package from Advanced Induction

2) Quite a few cam/head packages from TSP, in the $2500 range

SO , I guess first off, I will say this will be a street/strip car ( 75% street, 25% strip/roadcourse ) and I am trying to get the most bang for the buck right out the gate. I will be on stock bottom end for at least 2 years, unless it gives out before that.

Ive been reading alot on converters too, but am not sure of what converter to match with the C/H package , although Im sure either place could suggest one for me ..

Dyno numbers mean nothing to me, but real world performance does.. So If I can get a good run down the strip and be in the 11.5 area, I'll be more than happy... For the time being.

HEaders and exhaust is still in the air as well, as there are just way to many options out there for me to choose, so if anyone has suggestions, please, let them fly!! Although if possible, something... not quiet... but not ungodly loud.. a nice low tone, rumble is preferred more than something thats rappy...

Also keep in mind that I dont want to have to upgrade in the future, so if its overkill now, thats fine, as it will save money down the road

Im sure I missed alot of details, and other things I should buy as well, so if there are things I should add , or you need more details, please let me know! CAnt wait to get started and will hopefully have a nice little street car by next summer
Old 08-21-2014, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You can't afford the Procharger but can afford the heads/cam setup? Isn't it all similar in price?
Old 08-21-2014, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
You can't afford the Procharger but can afford the heads/cam setup? Isn't it all similar in price?
unless I'm looking at something wrong the heads/cam is $1800 at AI, and the procharger is $6000+ ??
Old 08-21-2014, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

Also I'm guessing a cam and heads would be a great supporting mod for a PC. I didnt really want to do the charger until I was able to rebuild the bottom end. Now was just going to be H/C, and bolt ons just to open it up a bit, as well as things such as rear end, 4l80, subframe connectors, panhard, and other suspension components
Old 08-21-2014, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well that sounds like you are comparing a bare bones hci package to a brand new full loaded blower setup. The prices should be much closer than that from what I've seen. You have to factor in all the accessories, supporting mods, etc...Could. buy a used blower as well
Old 08-21-2014, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

yea.. unless I can get a kit for under $2000, Im just gonna do H/C for now with bolt ons and a tune. seems like the stock 241 heads ported w a nice cam is the way most people go to get a pretty significant increase..

ALso I would want suspension, frame, rear end, trans, brake upgrades before I went straight to a 500 whp blower setup

There are just so many options available its tough to even find a good product with a good reputation, that isn't marked up to the heavens.

with aH/C setup , also was curious how much you will gain by going with a larger TB, MAF and , say a Fast intake manifold.?
Old 08-21-2014, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oh don't get me wrong I definitely agree, I was just trying to pointing out that the prices might be closer than you think. Personally a heads cam LS motor is my preference...at least to start with. As far as the Fast intake goes it will get you around 15 more hp over your LS6 intake.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ummm, procharger is around $6500+ and heads/cam 1/2 that price.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by comatoastWS6
Well as of now , Im trying to get ideas of which direction I want to go with the car.. I was first thinking about doing bolt ons and a procharger, but thats too much for me to swing after buying the car, so I figured I would just start with heads and cam, like almost everyone else, as it will be a good support mod for the future anyways ..

Ive been doing ALOT of reading up in here, and the more I read the more confusing it gets as I am looking at Soooooo many different setups.. Its too overwhelming right now, considering I barely know the platform..

But here is what I do see alot of

1) The $1800 cam/219cc ported head package from Advanced Induction

2) Quite a few cam/head packages from TSP, in the $2500 range

SO , I guess first off, I will say this will be a street/strip car ( 75% street, 25% strip/roadcourse ) and I am trying to get the most bang for the buck right out the gate. I will be on stock bottom end for at least 2 years, unless it gives out before that.

Ive been reading alot on converters too, but am not sure of what converter to match with the C/H package , although Im sure either place could suggest one for me ..

Dyno numbers mean nothing to me, but real world performance does.. So If I can get a good run down the strip and be in the 11.5 area, I'll be more than happy... For the time being.

HEaders and exhaust is still in the air as well, as there are just way to many options out there for me to choose, so if anyone has suggestions, please, let them fly!! Although if possible, something... not quiet... but not ungodly loud.. a nice low tone, rumble is preferred more than something thats rappy...

Also keep in mind that I dont want to have to upgrade in the future, so if its overkill now, thats fine, as it will save money down the road

Im sure I missed alot of details, and other things I should buy as well, so if there are things I should add , or you need more details, please let me know! CAnt wait to get started and will hopefully have a nice little street car by next summer
Does that H/C package Include springs/pushrods that are adequate? You're covering your bases pretty good for a newcomer to this platform but make sure you're doing the right things in the valve train, that's the most important of all things you're doing. I'd read up on stock rockers vs rollers, and proper valve spring maintenence.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

We all had the same questions as you at one time. If I were to do it all over I would of saved all the money for a procharger setup. Don't get me wrong I love my car but I could be sporting another 100rwhp safely without some of the headaches that came with my motor being opened up ect....
Old 08-21-2014, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Oh don't get me wrong I definitely agree, I was just trying to pointing out that the prices might be closer than you think. Personally a heads cam LS motor is my preference...at least to start with. As far as the Fast intake goes it will get you around 15 more hp over your LS6 intake.
as I can see how the fast would help a big power setup, at this point I cant justify the HP/$ issue .. If I spend $1500+, with intake, tb, maf etc id be expecting more than 15 whp.. But maybe I'm just greedy lol

Originally Posted by cali_bear2003
Ummm, procharger is around $6500+ and heads/cam 1/2 that price.
Thats what I thought, but then again, Im only one week into this platform, and thought I may have been looking at something wrong

Originally Posted by DREAMZ28
Does that H/C package Include springs/pushrods that are adequate? You're covering your bases pretty good for a newcomer to this platform but make sure you're doing the right things in the valve train, that's the most important of all things you're doing. I'd read up on stock rockers vs rollers, and proper valve spring maintenence.
Thanks man, heres what I got off the site

GM LS1 346cid/5.7L Heads & Cam Kit:
Ai 219cc Full CNC Porting
PSI 1511 MaxLife Endurance Springs
New GM OEM Valve Seals
Any Compression Ratio from 9.8:1 & up, or Ai optimized for cam selection
Any HR Camshaft - Ai Custom Grind, or you may specify a grind yourself
Ai One Piece 4130 ChromeMoly Hardened Pushrods 5/16" & .080" Wall Thickness
GM OEM .051" Head Gaskets
In-house QC inspection of your individual camshaft

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
We all had the same questions as you at one time. If I were to do it all over I would of saved all the money for a procharger setup. Don't get me wrong I love my car but I could be sporting another 100rwhp safely without some of the headaches that came with my motor being opened up ect....
I understand... If I could afford the extra $4k.. I would.. and still might in the future.. But I cant swing that now, and the wifey would kick my ***** in.. " happy wife, happy life " lol

She likes the car .. actually alot more than she did and likes driving it.. so as long as I throw her in the drivers seat once and a while and make her smile, its all good.. If my rear end is broken and my bottom end takes a ****, there is no more "happy wife, happy life"

I had a 500whp srt4 before this, and had a blast with it.. The main difference is, this car is much, MUCH more expensive lol.. SO Im trying to do things the right way the first time!!
Old 08-21-2014, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DREAMZ28
also... since you brought up the valvetrain.. Ive seen a few issues with yella terra rockers... Is this a common issue, or just a select few I happen to come across
Old 09-01-2014, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Far from a technical question, but just ordered up plugs/wires and a slp lid.. Any suggestions on a good paper filter? Ive seen alot of people using alot of different things, and Im not sold on the oiled up filters.. Especially living on a dirt road..

I dont know where I read it but thought I saw something regarding the lid not fitting properly unless there was a K&N?
Old 09-01-2014, 04:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best advice I can give is put new polyurethane motor mounts in when you do headers. TRUST ME...
Old 09-01-2014, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Far from a technical question, but just ordered up plugs/wires and a slp lid.. Any suggestions on a good paper filter? Ive seen alot of people using alot of different things, and Im not sold on the oiled up filters.. Especially living on a dirt road..

I dont know where I read it but thought I saw something regarding the lid not fitting properly unless there was a K&N?
I just run a basic Fram paper filter with my SLP lid.. I'm not sold on the whole K&N thing either
Old 09-01-2014, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
Best advice I can give is put new polyurethane motor mounts in when you do headers. TRUST ME...
Yea. I was looking at the how to.... Doesn't look like the most fun one out there.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

I just run a basic Fram paper filter with my SLP lid.. I'm not sold on the whole K&N thing either
OK. As long as it fits fine I don't care. I will probably throw a nice amsoil or. Something descent. The fitment was my biggest concern.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

OK. As long as it fits fine I don't care. I will probably throw a nice amsoil or. Something descent. The fitment was my biggest concern.
Nah I've tried a few paper filters and they've all fit fine for me
Old 09-01-2014, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know there has been many replies to your question, but nobody has said this......why do you not simply drive the car the way it is now, save the $$$ that the mods most definately cost and then decide if you really want to throw away the $$$ with modding the car. The numbers most definately due add up quick and we all know that we can never get that money back.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cali_bear2003
I know there has been many replies to your question, but nobody has said this......why do you not simply drive the car the way it is now, save the $$$ that the mods most definately cost and then decide if you really want to throw away the $$$ with modding the car. The numbers most definately due add up quick and we all know that we can never get that money back.
I will for the most part have a stock car for a while.. The only "mod" I will be doing is a lid.. ANd for the $100 it costs to buy , the ease of install, Ive heard its one of the best bang for the buck mods on the car. If something happens in the future, ( next year ) which I hope, then Ill worry about that then.. I'm just trying to inform myself, and get familiar with this platform, before I get into anything serious.

Quick Reply: Need some advice/suggestions on starting to mod my first F-body (01ws6)