Sponsored by:

Valve seals unseated

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 08:49 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TurboBuick6
Love the butt hurt here.

And yes springs CAN actually do this. Have seen it many times from GM to Ford to Chrysler both SB and BB. It can happen when the springs go out of control and walk around. Not saying that this is the reason but it does happen.

Don't you have better things to do with your time than troll all the threads about Brian's Springs and slander his product? Personally, I think your time would be better spent trying to figure out why your springs break. Maybe find your way back to the PAC QC lab and spend some quality time there.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 94 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by LJMSJohn
Don't you have better things to do with your time than troll all the threads about Brian's Springs and slander his product? Personally, I think your time would be better spent trying to figure out why your springs break. Maybe find your way back to the PAC QC lab and spend some quality time there.
Don't you mean slandering PAC's products???

Last I knew it is not slandering stating origin of manufacturing. Isn't it required on products sold in US chain stores?????
Old 01-15-2015, 12:59 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TurboBuick6
Don't you mean slandering PAC's products???

Last I knew it is not slandering stating origin of manufacturing. Isn't it required on products sold in US chain stores?????
So, you are stating where you THINK they are made....

Again... your time would be better spent working on your own products and getting the quality up to the same level as what Brians puts out.

Raise your own product to the level of the best in the market... instead of trying to tear them down to where you are...

It's reflecting very poorly on you and Petersen spring as a whole right now.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 94 Likes on 59 Posts

Don't worry about me LilJohn. Time tells all.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think this is a BTR spring problem I think its a dual spring issue with the design of the seals and base. If the base inside lip was taller then the inner spring would not have anything to grab. Why I am having so many issues only on one side is confusing.
I had a tracking number for the blue seals in my inbox before I woke up this morning from BTR so I hope this is the last set I have to buy.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jmargo
I don't think this is a BTR spring problem I think its a dual spring issue with the design of the seals and base. If the base inside lip was taller then the inner spring would not have anything to grab. Why I am having so many issues only on one side is confusing.
I had a tracking number for the blue seals in my inbox before I woke up this morning from BTR so I hope this is the last set I have to buy.
Your valve guides must be worn-out and that's why your seals don't stay put. I'd either send the heads out (TEA or AI) for new valve guides or get new heads.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Put fel pro seals on it and move on and enjoy the car.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jblankenship
Put fel pro seals on it and move on and enjoy the car.
The blue seals should be here Sat.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

The blue seals should be here Sat.
I hope they work...
Old 01-16-2015, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hope all goes well. Keep us updated.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Same problem with the blue seals. 5 pulled up on the drivers side only. Valve seals measure fine and the seals look perfect.

So whats the part number for the Fel-Pro seals ?
Old 02-21-2015, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Same problem with the blue seals. 5 pulled up on the drivers side only. Valve seals measure fine and the seals look perfect.

So whats the part number for the Fel-Pro seals ?
2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 6.0L, valve stem seals 1st design:
FEL-PRO Part # SS70945

Did you ever have those heads at a machine shop? If so, they may have machined the valve guides to fit triple springs or some-other reason. You may need to have new valve guides installed to fix this problem.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jblankenship
Mine was puffing smoke as well. BTR valve seals as well. After reading your thread I decided to pull the valve covers. Same issue as yours to the tee. Except mine had about 12 pulled off. Two of them were really smashed. All others riding like umbrella style. I shimmed mine as well this past winter to bring back to proper pressure specs. Had good clearance though. The last two sets of seals I used before this issue were Fel-Pros. Put a new set of those back on and installed dry after wiping the guide with brake cleaner on a rag. Been back together for about a month and I daily drive it. No more smoke. I called BTR about this and the person I spoke to claimed to have never seen this issue.
I had the same problem. First set were BTR seals. 2nd set was from a Lunati kit (same seal manufacturer). First time, I hammered them on. Second time, I used the "press" method. Both times all seals came off the guide. With the valves out, you can see they are fully seated because you can see the guide against the stop clearly inside the valve seal.

One seal was shedding metal, so I caught it before anything catastrophic happened.

I fixed the issue with the fel pro seals. They go on very easily, can almost push them on by hand. The other seals were very difficult to put on, I wonder if they were so tight, they squeezed themselves off (if that makes any sense).
Old 03-16-2016, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

250 miles and tons of WOT passes, pulled the valve covers and they are still on there.

No idea why some people are having issues with the seals on these springs, but the fel pros are definitely the solution. I would not have known the issue unless I pulled the VCs because I didn't see or smell any oil, but I was down a full quart. I wonder if there are more who have the problem and just do not know it.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is a older thread but another problem, one that I finally found out I had, could be bent valves from valve float. I couldn't keep seals on my motor either, with the BTR springs as well. Everything seemed to run great. Eventually I decided to overhaul the motor and when I pulled the heads there were witness marks on all of the pistons. Stock 853 heads, stock bottom end, 227/235 cam. At some point in the motors life valve float happened (pretty sure it was the old Patriot Gold Springs the previous owner ran) and bent the valves. When I went to transfer the springs over to a new set of heads I noticed about half my valves wouldn't pull out of the head. They looked fine, and moved within their running range of motions, but you couldn't remove them from the head. So the seals were being vibrated off from the bent valves and subsequent worn guides.

Just food for thought for anyone that may run across this thread researching a similar problem.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:14 PM
TECH Resident

That sucks on the bent valves.

I am sure mine were fine because I had the heads off to swap lifters a couple weeks ago. All valves good, guides looked good, etc. I really just think the seals are so tight they are getting deformed when being put on. I don't think the springs are pulling them up because my fel pros would have been pulled up too.

Quick Reply: Valve seals unseated