Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lingenfelter Performance or other options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lingenfelter Performance or other options?

Hello All

I am Steve, I have a 2002 Corvette that I am wanting to somewhat modify. I do not want a totally modified car and take away its reliability. The car currently has 93,000 miles on her. The only modifications are Borla Stingers with a Borla X-pipe and body modifications are Breathless performance rear air ducts.

I am seriously considering Lingenfelter Performance Engineering (LPE) kit package. I was looking to send the car to them having them install this kit: http://www.lingenfelter.com/engine-p...ads-cam-430-hp

I was told by their sales rep that my motor has too many miles and needs a refreshment and that this kit is not ideal for my car with the miles I have on it. I was also told that they could not guarantee it would make the power listed on their website. So they suggested that I should get their 383 kit instead: http://www.lingenfelter.com/engine-p...ls1-ls6-475-hp

I am not feeling the 383 call me crazy but I cannot see investing $19,000 for a C5 to have a new motor and transmission rebuilt for 475BHP. I could understand if insurance would cover most of my investment. Although the auto insurance will only pay the ACV of a 2002 Corvette if my car was a total loss in the future.

So it leave LPE unlikely an option but it still is on the table. I have also found a Turn Key brand new LS6 with 450hp from this site for just under 10k. http://www.turnkeyenginesupply.com

The nice part about this is all the parts are brand new including alternator, water pump ect. I believe this package will insure the reliability and performance that I am after. Although it is only 100 hp more than a stock LS1. Which my motor is in great condition.

Lastly the last option I have is just build my LS1. I would be looking to buy the Fast intake, mild cam and a good set of heads with a 3 angle value job.

So with this all said what do you guys think my best option is? Of course I could keep it stock but that is just not me. I have had this car for 7 years now and want to start making it my own.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:39 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I would personally have no issue putting a heads and cam setup on a vehicle with 93k miles. People are getting 200k miles and more out of their LS based vehicles so I don't see any reason to write the motor off yet. I would just work with the engine you have because there is no reason not to. I am local to you and there are plenty of places local that can get you squared away.

Kyle

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-26-2014, 09:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If the motor is in good working order I'd have no reservations on building it! Also that Lingenfelter package seems kind of expensive. I'd consider buying from places like Texas Speed and such and then have a reputable shop do the install if you're not comfortable with that. Plus that Lingenfelter setup looks a bit weak for a HCI package. I'd personally want something a little more aggressive
Old 09-26-2014, 10:53 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I think if you look around here, you'll find lots of vendors who can beat that 475HP number for a lot less money.

And 93k miles would be fine for a heads/cam package.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:10 AM
FormerVendor

I would feel fine doing heads/cam on it with that many miles. As long as the lifters and lifter trays are replace along with the timing set you should have no issues.

If you have anymore questions Feel free to give us a call!
Old 09-26-2014, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Damn good to see Craven Performance as a sponsor on here!!! I was watching all of your guy's YouTube videos last night. I want your guys lifted Duramax Denali so damn bad. Hell, I'd take any of the trucks you guys have/work on for that matter. Nothing better than a LSx car and a bad *** diesel truck.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 200 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
I think if you look around here, you'll find lots of vendors who can beat that 475HP number for a lot less money.

And 93k miles would be fine for a heads/cam package.
Tru but how many vendors around here offer a 3yr 36,000mi warranty with their packages and install? That is why LPE numbers are typically lower and prices are higher then what we see advertised around the internet. They are in the business to reproduce factory reliable combinations.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like LPE's 430 HP is with stock exhaust manifolds.

Russ Kemp
Old 09-26-2014, 05:13 PM

Thanks everyone for the response. I thought that I would be able to modify this car without replacing the whole motor.

Kinglt-1 LPE 3 year/36000 mile warranty to me is an empty promise due to the nearest LPE warranty speed shop is like 4 hours away. Although you used a word I like Reliability. I had a mustang back in college from 1999-2004 that was pushing 525RWHP. This car was so unreliable that I was forced to sell it.

So this time I want performance just not to the point of making it unreliable.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:16 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Tru but how many vendors around here offer a 3yr 36,000mi warranty with their packages and install? That is why LPE numbers are typically lower and prices are higher then what we see advertised around the internet. They are in the business to reproduce factory reliable combinations.
Which is why they won't warranty a car with 93k miles. Too many other things that might have nothing to do with the top end might let go. Point is, if you want a warranty and 450HP, and have an additional 18k to spend on a car, you might as well just go buy a Gen 5 Camaro.

Lingenfelter's price is justified with the turbo packages when you want reliability and performance. Although, if you do go above their boost guidelines, you lose the warranty. But you can make 1000rwhp with their packages.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 200 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Stand_together
Thanks everyone for the response. I thought that I would be able to modify this car without replacing the whole motor.

Kinglt-1 LPE 3 year/36000 mile warranty to me is an empty promise due to the nearest LPE warranty speed shop is like 4 hours away. Although you used a word I like Reliability. I had a mustang back in college from 1999-2004 that was pushing 525RWHP. This car was so unreliable that I was forced to sell it.

So this time I want performance just not to the point of making it unreliable.

Part of the reason why I have not went any further with my mods on the car in my sig. I had a 96 Z28 with a procharger back 10-12yrs ago and it was unreliable. The car was more fun with bolt ons. I sold the blower and built a 383 for it. I had AL @ LPE port the heads/intake/tb, had a custom 230/236 cam ground for it. Car ran good and was pretty reliable. Sold it to my brother and bought the 2002 Z28 back in 09'. I love this car because it is fairly quick and drives like a 97% stock car. I am past the point of wanting to throw a radical combination together just to say I ran a number on the internet. So I can relate with your concerns.

I can vouch for LPE(I live 30minutes away and my Dad was friends with John and Tom Cress)that you will get a 100% reliable combination but at a cost. You can get more power for much less money going elsewhere but your results are not promised nor is the longevity. Hence why LPE only allows specific parts with their packages. There is no choice of 20 different cam/head options. They only use parts that increase power to the point where no sacrifice in drive-ability
And reliability are present.

That being said I am not trying to push LPE. I agree with Jake they are a bit pricey for what you get. I am currently exchanging emails with Tick performance about a Heads/Cam package. Jake almost had me convince to go D1 but I am still hesitant to pull the trigger with my prior experience.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

OP I am sure there is someone local that can build a package deal for you. Hell if you were close to me I could do that and save a ton of money. No reason not to beable to do a mild heads and cam setup, make awesome power and lose no driveabilty.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Damn good to see Craven Performance as a sponsor on here!!! I was watching all of your guy's YouTube videos last night. I want your guys lifted Duramax Denali so damn bad. Hell, I'd take any of the trucks you guys have/work on for that matter. Nothing better than a LSx car and a bad *** diesel truck.
Yea we have plenty of those diesels in the shop.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:51 PM

Thanks again for all the info guys....

Quick Reply: Lingenfelter Performance or other options?