Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended Valve springs for .600 lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 05:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended Valve springs for .600 lift

Trying to get input with personal experience, when they talk longevity of springs.... How much did you ACTUALLY get, with what spring?
Old 11-05-2014, 07:23 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We have a customer who has 50,000 miles and counting on a set of our dual .660" lift Platinum springs. We haven't had good luck with the beehive springs holding up. We just had a .625" lift beehive break on a stock LS9 cam.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What lobes? How heavy a valvetrain.
There is a.LOT more to springs than peak lift.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:17 AM
TECH Resident

BTR duals get my vote. Have them in my setup but havent put any mileage on them. My uncle and his friends put a beating on their LQ4 and LQ9 turbo respectively and have had no issues at 15k+ miles each since the swap.

Brian...I see the Dual Platinum kit is sold out whats the ETA on those? Sorry for thread jacking thought I should ask here since I recommended them.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:37 AM
Teching In

I got the stock 241's the car came with (correct me if I'm wrong). I havent purchased a cam yet but I'm leaning towards the TV2, as far as push rods & springs I'm still looking into.. I was looking more into a dual spring set up.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

This Lunati set is a dual .660 lift spring that is really affordable and works great. We have used them on several builds with great results. We offer many others as well, so when your ready check out our site.

Link to Lunati .660 Spring Kit
Link to Full Selection of Valve Springs

Old 11-05-2014, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd look elsewhere for a cam. TSP is a great vendor with good customer service, and I wouldn't think twice about buying most of the parts they sell. But there line of cam shafts is over do for an update. Yes they're proven cams that make good power, but do so with unnecessarily aggressive lobe profiles. The same if not more power can be made with lodes that wont beat up your valvetrain parts and your valve springs will last longer also. This is one of the reasons vendors like BTR, Tick, EPS, and Cam Motion have gained a lot of popularity recently.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fry_
I'd look elsewhere for a cam. TSP is a great vendor with good customer service, and I wouldn't think twice about buying most of the parts they sell. But there line of cam shafts is over do for an update. Yes they're proven cams that make good power, but do so with unnecessarily aggressive lobe profiles. The same if not more power can be made with lodes that wont beat up your valvetrain parts and your valve springs will last longer also. This is one of the reasons vendors like BTR, Tick, EPS, and Cam Motion have gained a lot of popularity recently.
I won't lie one of the reasons I was going TV2 route was due to how long it's been around and the numbers other have gotten.. A lot of good reviews too, I'm gonna have to look at those other sticks. I'm shooting for a cam that till put me at 380+ to the wheels but wont purge to bad..
Old 11-06-2014, 01:08 AM
Teching In

Hey Fry, I'm really having a hard time finding other forums to say this about the tv2.. Do you have any links you can throw this way, and what problems were they seeing with the valve train. I can see a more aggressive lobe going through springs more often but other then that I'm actually kind of curious.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kreider2012
Hey Fry, I'm really having a hard time finding other forums to say this about the tv2.. Do you have any links you can throw this way, and what problems were they seeing with the valve train. I can see a more aggressive lobe going through springs more often but other then that I'm actually kind of curious.
I can't help you with links that say anything bad about another sponsors products, I just simply wont contribute to bashing any company, but if you are in the market to look at a custom camshaft specifically for your car and what your looking to do with the car feel free to email me some specs and we can have a conversation about fixing you up with something that will meet your needs and wants out of your car.

chris@hinsonmotorsports.com
Old 11-06-2014, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 268 Likes on 175 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

The TV2 uses Comp's XER lobes. They make power, but they are a very aggressive lobe that does beat on the entire valvetrain. Those lobes are also 10+ years old at this point. If you search for XER lobes, I'm sure more than enough information will be made available to you.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Futral f13 on a 112 is a 230/232, not too far off from a TV2 and will probably make the same amount of power. Makes great torque as well, it's an awesome cam, loved mine.

Last edited by whatsa347; 11-07-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
The TV2 uses Comp's XER lobes. They make power, but they are a very aggressive lobe that does beat on the entire valvetrain. Those lobes are also 10+ years old at this point. If you search for XER lobes, I'm sure more than enough information will be made available to you.
Thats the exact piont I was getting at. In there day TSP's cam's using XER lobes were the latest and greatest technology, now there overly aggressive for the amount of lift they produce and could use a redesign. I think its time for cams like a 226LXL, Torquer V4, and a MS5. We all know they're capable of it and its time for them to do so.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:27 AM
Teching In

Yeah I wasn't trying to bash anyone nor their products, simply understand why fry said it's rough on the valve train. Thank you though thugga, n fry.... This is just another example of why I love ls1tech.

As far as springs when Brain tooley's dual .650 springs are back in stock Im gonna grab those

Chris, I'm going to shoot you an email.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 598 Likes on 413 Posts

The best springs on the market period is by Brian Tooley. Everything that has the guy name on it is quality!! I love my springs from BTR.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

FWIW I had zero problems with my MS4 as a DD as far as spring life, I over rev'd the car during a down shift which destroyed my motor. My springs we're WELL within spec according to G-Force (local shop/sponsor) and my springs had 15k miles on them. So it's over played that XER lobes suck and ruin your motor. People have run TV2's and 228r's for years with no problems. Get a set of decent lifters, decent springs, set it up properly, and have fun.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by whatsa347
FWIW I had zero problems with my MS4 as a DD as far as spring life, I over rev'd the car during a down shift which destroyed my motor. My springs we're WELL within spec according to G-Force (local shop/sponsor) and my springs had 15k miles on them. So it's over played that XER lobes suck and ruin your motor. People have run TV2's and 228r's for years with no problems. Get a set of decent lifters, decent springs, set it up properly, and have fun.
This makes me more comfortable, did you put in any lifters? I was actually reading everywhere I could find on this subject...more specific the lifter portion. I was already aware of the need of good valve springs, and maintenance associated with them.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This makes me more comfortable, did you put in any lifters? I was actually reading everywhere I could find on this subject...more specific the lifter portion. I was already aware of the need of good valve springs, and maintenance associated with them.
Nope, stock 89k mile lifters. 1999 ones as well. BTW the cam went in at 89k miles. Score some morel drop ins if you want, apparently they're great. $175 for piece of mind is okay with me. Maybe I'm lucky, Who knows, I had stock lifters for my cam motion cam as well, no noise or problems in 10k miles and the new owner had zero problems as well. I do agree that TSP is due for some new cams, but no one can say their grinds haven't proven themselves with years of dyno numbers and track times.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:58 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Manley 221435-16
my cam was a .649 lift on both lobes
went 40k miles on them before I replaced them
they are good to .700 lift...
shim them to be within .050 of coil bind for best results
Old 11-07-2014, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Texas Speed is a great company, and has excellent customer service, but I too think that they should develop some new cam profiles. They must still be selling enough of their original cams to not worry about making new ones.

I'm still rolling with the MS3 and its a good top end screamer.

Quick Reply: Recommended Valve springs for .600 lift