Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Johnson SLR link bar lifter questions (PLEASE HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Johnson SLR link bar lifter questions (PLEASE HELP)

So i just purchased and received my new set of Johnson link bars for my LS1. It was a very difficult decision to make as everyone you talk to has a different opinion on Lifter choices. So i decided to spend the extra coin with Johnson's rather than the other options. They were very helpful on the phone and answered all of my questions better than anyone else could. The body of the lifter and link bar set up are nice quality pieces. The only concern i have upon inspection of the new set up, is that the rollers seem very rough to roll and seems like there is a metal to metal contact. Don't get me wrong they roll okay and its not like there are shavings rolling out of the bottom but they are definitely not as smooth as the LS7's i have that are also new (didnt do my research first). I guess my question is has anyone else seen this or experienced it? Is it that they need to be cleaned and soaked in oil? I just expected a nicer quality roll for the $600, and they dont even seem to roll as nice as the LS7's i have? I'll contact them on Monday but wanted some other opinions as well. thanks
Old 11-15-2014, 02:39 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

I've never used Johnson lifters, but I've used other aftermarket brands than had an anticorrosion grease in them that had to be cleaned out before use. It should say something in the instructions about cleaning before use.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the pressure on the roller from the springs there should be really no effective difference between that and your LS7s. I wouldn't sweat it at all.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a set to go in my engine and all of the rollers spun freely except one which felt a bit rough, not metallic but sort of lumpy and tight to spin.

I emailed Tony Mamo who I bought them from and he suggested it might just be a bit of hardened assembly lube and to maybe soak it in some mineral spirits. I tried squirting a little bit of oil into the roller and blew some compressed air into it which seems to have freed it up pretty well.

The box mine came in had absolutely no supporting paperwork whatsoever but I emailed Johnson themselves for some info originally before I found the dodgy roller and Randy Vroomen got back to me really quickly and is pretty helpful, I hope this helps you.

Best wishes,

Jason.

Last edited by Jase01; 11-15-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Thank you for the help guys. its hard to describe the roller. the above could be a good description as well. I will clean them up with some parts cleaner and put them in some oil and check the. I dont plan to build this thing for about another 3 months so the oil will help protect them in storage anyways. thanks
Old 11-16-2014, 04:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 388 Likes on 153 Posts

I've had this issue with a number of different brands of lifters. Most of the situations I have encountered with a roller that didn't feel smooth was due to assembly lube issues.

I actually have a cheap Walmart crock pot that I "cook" all my lifters in prior to a build....LOL I use a thin synthetic oil and bring the temp to 200 or so (I measure using a heat gun). Let them sit in the hot oil bath for hours (you only need to bring it to temp and turn off the burner.....its amazing how long it takes to cool off a pot of hot oil and a bunch of metal components inside!)

When its still warm (comfortable enough to handle)....I remove a pair of lifters at a time and check out the wheel action....its usually a whole lot better than when they were cold right out of the box. You may find that a few still feel sticky.....just spin them a bit in your hand and it should smooth right out. If you go thru the trouble of doing all of this and still have an issues use the parts washer and a blow gun and re-soak in oil after you blow it clean from the parts washer spinning the roller as you do it. If that doesn't cure it get with the manufacturer and get a new lifter pair sent to you. I would not install a roller lifter that didn't feel smooth if you prepped it the way I just described....that would indicate an issue of some kind in the assembly.

I've used alot of different manufacturers lifters and some roll smoother than others right out of the box even when comparing the same manufacturer's parts. The method I just described takes a little extra time but its worth it.....it also helps bleed any air out as well for less bleed down on fire up and guarantees the axle wheel is covered in fresh oil.

Hope this helps....

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 11-18-2014, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 220 Likes on 131 Posts

VERY COOL TIP!
( no pun intended ) LOL
Old 11-18-2014, 11:09 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Tips like this are what keep me coming back to this site. Thanks for that, Tony.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:51 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

We will all be looking for used crock pots at garage sales now!

Ron
Old 11-18-2014, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My Lunati Link bar lifters had a couple that did this same thing. I know what you're trying to describe. You can "Feel" the roughness when rolling it over your fingers.
I might have to go to Walmart tonight lol.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:57 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Who needs a crock pot, just use a regular steel pan, it's not like it's porous, just use soap and water after and wash the pan. I agree, great tip for us all.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:42 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Who needs a crock pot, just use a regular steel pan, it's not like it's porous, just use soap and water after and wash the pan. I agree, great tip for us all.
I'm guessing bc you can put it in the garage and regulate the temp. I mean they're cheap, like 20 bucks, and then no need to use the oven and smell the house up with motor oil...
Old 11-18-2014, 09:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 388 Likes on 153 Posts

Mmmmmmm....I smell some lifters soaking.....LOL

Glad to help guys

(A little bit of Mamofied **** engine building tips )

It does stink if you do it on the stove....wait for the wife or GF to be gone for the day!

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 11-18-2014, 11:04 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I cleaned all of mine thoroughly with B-12, let them dry, and then tested the rollers. All worked as they should. I also tested the link bars and made sure they were all working without any hitch.

And then I put Joe Gibbs assembly lube on the wheels and bodies. Everything went together without a hitch.

Try cleaning them out and see. That was one thing I knew had to be done. I sprayed B-12 everywhere to dissolve any oil or blow out any grit. Grit is what kills lifters.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:41 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I'm guessing bc you can put it in the garage and regulate the temp. I mean they're cheap, like 20 bucks, and then no need to use the oven and smell the house up with motor oil...
The wifey loves the smell of some good 5-30 cooking on the stove. lol.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:28 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
The wifey loves the smell of some good 5-30 cooking on the stove. lol.
Lol. Just wait till she sees that you've taken it upon yourself, sans permission, to have front, rear, and valve covers in the dishwasher.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:41 AM
Staging Lane

Definitely a good tip. I may be getting some johnson lifters so I'll keep this in mind.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Lol. Just wait till she sees that you've taken it upon yourself, sans permission, to have front, rear, and valve covers in the dishwasher.
That's why you wait till she is out of town for the weekend
Old 11-19-2014, 09:53 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Sounds like a personal experience that didn't go so well.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:50 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Good info!

If you like our products, tell others! If not, tell us!
The following users liked this post:
Jb Baldemar Gonzalez (07-11-2019)

Quick Reply: Johnson SLR link bar lifter questions (PLEASE HELP)