Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Currently available options for stock idle/sleeper "big" cam? Dynos/Reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 06:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Currently available options for stock idle/sleeper "big" cam? Dynos/Reviews?

I'd like to add a camshaft to my current build list for this winter, however I don't want anything that sounds meaty. Just stock, I want a basically stock idle. Loud is fine, choppy lope is what I want to avoid.

Every thread I find has plenty of cam options listed, unfortunately 1/2-3/4 of everything on the list is discontinued or the company is no longer in business. And as much as I enjoy finding used parts cheap, i'd like to be able to call and speak to the company and have customer service along with the camshaft purchase.

I don't mind losing some low end power, I don't mind having to rev it a bit higher. I just want a similar to stock idle. Going to have a fairly loose convertor in front of it regardless.

Current off the shelf piece i've found is the LPE GT2-3, looks like it makes a bit of power and with the idle i'm after. From the looks of the dynos however, I wonder if I wouldn't get similar power out of an OEM '02+ LS6 camshaft when revving it out a bit. Opinions there please.

If I am going through the trouble and cost, honestly, I feel I would want a bit more power than either of those provide. Which is why i'm asking if there is anything "more aggressive" that fits the bill OTS or can be made.

I know custom is always an option, anybody have recommendations there? From where? Anyone have a custom grind with the same/similar goals as me?

I know this has been gone over ad nauseum, just couldn't find anything with up to date info.

Thank you for any help.

- Drew
Old 01-22-2015, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Custom grind cuz dats where its at
Old 01-22-2015, 11:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well my 224r on a 114 lsa sounded very close to stock especially with the a/c blowing. if you have cats and a quiet muffler people would be very hard pressed to tell it's cammed.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:59 AM
On The Tree

Ok, wanting more power is a no brainier, I get it. Wanting the best results and horsepower per dollar is an obvious want of only every single person ever. I just went through this as Martin Smallwood (Tick) helped me pick a cam based on my wants, although mine were almost opposite of what you're asking for. There is just one thing that has my curiosity raised tremendously high. But I would recommend contacting him, he knows a lot about cams and all the little details involved in picking the right one for your wants.

Why stressing on the stock idle quality? I think I could even get behind someone wanting a very tame idle, or daily driver idle. But why stock? If it's ok for me to ask?

And I apologize that I have no constructive input, I'm getting a rowdy Cam and that is where all my research was aimed.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you considered cams like a LS6 or GM hot cam?
Old 01-23-2015, 05:38 AM
11 Second Club

Sounds like a custom grind is in store for you
Old 01-23-2015, 06:12 AM

What's the ultimate goal power wise?
Old 01-23-2015, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

The car will have 1 7/8 headers, no cats and Huron speed true duals. The exhaust will not be covering up any potential lope.

I have considered the Ls6 cam, as per specifically mentioning it in my OP.

Gm hot cam has a lopey idle and small cam power output. The exact opposite of what I'm after.

Originally Posted by formulaon18s
Ok, wanting more power is a no brainier, I get it. Wanting the best results and horsepower per dollar is an obvious want of only every single person ever. I just went through this as Martin Smallwood (Tick) helped me pick a cam based on my wants, although mine were almost opposite of what you're asking for. There is just one thing that has my curiosity raised tremendously high. But I would recommend contacting him, he knows a lot about cams and all the little details involved in picking the right one for your wants.

Why stressing on the stock idle quality? I think I could even get behind someone wanting a very tame idle, or daily driver idle. But why stock? If it's ok for me to ask?

And I apologize that I have no constructive input, I'm getting a rowdy Cam and that is where all my research was aimed.
I'd rather sound stock and be quick than sound fast and be quicker.

I want it to sound like the engine is stock with bolt ons very specifically to surprise people and make some money at the track.

Going for an efficient setup. Making the most out of the least, and sounding as stock as possible while doing so.

- Drew
The following users liked this post:
Blk_Ws6 (07-24-2022)
Old 01-23-2015, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blown C5
What's the ultimate goal power wise?
As of currently I do not have a specific power goal. My only goal is to extract as much as possible while sounding stock, whatever the power number is when that happens is fine by me.

I will do heads and more aggressive cam later on. This is just for fun right now, while on a budget.

- Dre
Old 01-23-2015, 03:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Another vote for a custom grind. We set up our C5 originally to run in IHRA Stock Eliminator (Pure Stock) so we were restricted and had to run OEM lift AND duration. Bullet ground us a custom cam that sounds identical to stock. Car made 372 to the wheels with the otherwise stock LS1 through an auto with a Yank SS4000. Best ET is 11.58 and with weight and air conditions it would have went in the 40s.

Scott
Old 01-23-2015, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Custom is most likely the only way I'll get what I want.

- Drew
Old 01-23-2015, 04:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 206 Likes on 125 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...k-results.html
Old 01-23-2015, 05:30 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

You can make huge cams sound pretty close to stock and stock cams sound lopey. It's all about timing and A/F ratio at idle. Of course, making a big cam idle smooth or a stock cam idle bad can make it drive funky.

I'd do something like a 222/226 115 madmike posted from EPS.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

One of the threads that inspired me to move forward with this idea.

- Drew
Old 01-23-2015, 08:28 PM
12 Second Club

In my opinion my vengeance vrx5 doesn't idle choppy/lopey at all, the car is super loud though.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

I don't think it is physically possible to get BIG cam power from a small stock idle cam. I'm no cam expert but I think you'd have to go with extremely aggressive lobes but in small duration to keep overlap minimal. Something like a max effort blower cam is what I'm picturing. .050 duration in the low 220s and a wide LSA in the 116-120 range. For sure not an optimal n/a cam, but a cam for your specific requests.

And after hearing your reasoning, sounds like a cool idea. Maybe you could get away with a little bit of cam sound and sell it as having a LS6 cam in it?

I think the cars in "super stock" with cams based off factory specs still sound cammed

Last edited by formulaon18s; 01-23-2015 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

With having a A4 transmission your engine idles several hundred lower than a with a M6 transmission so unless you raise the idle rpm I's go with something with about -8* overlap with a cam like a 218/222 114lsa, 220/220 114lsa, 220/224 115lsa, or 222/222 115lsa. Since you'll be running LT headers a single pattern cam or a cam with a mild 4* split should work good for you. I'd run at least a 3k stall in you A4 transmission with any of the cam specs I listed.
BTW typedRew, how high do you want/plan spin the motor up to, 6k, 6500, 7k ..?

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 01-23-2015 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

tbh dumped true duals is going to be very hard to hide a cam. even a custom "sleeper" cam is going to thump harder than a stock cam. anybody that would know ls motors is going to pick up on this. now honestly i think you'd be best off grabbing a ls6 cam, and pair it with a hidden nitrous kit. have it on a thumb switch and spray only when needed. if you wanna make money this is the way to do it.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

I am picking my car up tomorrow from a sleeper cam install. Originally I did a "heads only" car with the factory cam. It was better at highway speeds over 65 mph but slow down low.

I had Martin at Tick spec the cam for me. He listened to my goals and concerns about a sleeper cam & drivability. Martin said at minimum I will pick up 30 HP and my heads will now come alive adding even more power.

Originally I was going to install an LS6 cam but decided to go a little more power while still retaining the stock drivability. I will pass CA emissions, keep stock manifolds & stock stall (although I may change to a mild stall) and stock idle.

UPDATED: Many told me a mild cam on a stock car is a waste - well now I know the truth, they were wrong. The car sounds just like stock. Very tiny push on the brakes on the stock stall but absolutely no issue for those who don't want a stall. I am very happy not going to an LS6 cam and having Martin spec this cam. The valve train noise is noticeable at idle, a little sewing machine sounding but nothing I cannot live with.

This cam is "sleeper/stealth" but when I press on the gas, the car hauls butt through all RPMs power range low to high. Keep in mind I wanted a mild, fast, "stockish" street car. If I stomp on it WOT the wheels spin every time. If I "press" the accelerator it just flat out hauls. The exhaust volume sounds like it did with heads only. You really have to listen to the exhaust to note that there is a hint of a cam. Tuner said it did hit the rev limiter so he made some minor transmission adjustments, hardly noticeable.

Thank you Martin for your expertise and helping chose the perfect cam. I am going to dyno it soon and truly feels like a 370 RWHP car, even with stock manifolds. OP- A cam similar to this with your headers and stall would be wicked IMO for what you are describing. I would at least give Martin a call for a custom grind.

Two very short videos (due to file size) 1st the valve train, 2nd the exhaust. Sounds way better in person - this was done with my phone. Hope this helps anyone looking for a mild cam with great results:
http://vid250.photobucket.com/albums...etrain_1-1.mp4
http://vid250.photobucket.com/albums.../221%20Cam.mp4

Last edited by BBATCAR; 01-24-2015 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Update
Old 01-24-2015, 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by typedRew
The car will have 1 7/8 headers, no cats and Huron speed true duals.

Going to have a fairly loose converter in front of it regardless.
Originally Posted by typedRew
I want it to sound like the engine is stock with bolt ons very specifically to surprise people and make some money at the track.
This is how I read your thread in my mind. Big headers, true duals, big converter......only a clueless IDIOT would not see/hear that coming a mile away. If they don't notice that stuff...then they probably would barely notice a cam either....these would be the same people who think loud exhaust=race car and a big converter=slow car (because its revving but not really going anywhere<true story).

Quick Reply: Currently available options for stock idle/sleeper "big" cam? Dynos/Reviews?