Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going with a TSP 228R Cam, and not sure what else..

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
something else since this a 100% street car you may want to reconsider the 228r and go with something with the same duration or similar but get it on softer lobes. xer lobes will need a good spring and be checked frequently as they are fairly violent
I must have missed this part earlier. I've just been reading about the love/hate behind XER lobes. Realistically how often would I need to change springs? This car MIGHT see 2,000 miles a year. But I also don't want to be afraid to take in on 200-300 mile road trips.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

then you'll be fine. XER lobes would wise to check the springs every 20k or so. road trips are fine. nothing wrong with those lobes its just that they are knocking on 15 years old and now you can get the same power from a lobe that is MUCH easier on parts. just the way technology goes
Old 02-04-2015, 10:42 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

The heads/cam install is easier than installing the converter. I hate how GM packaged the transmission on this car.

But it should take you a weekend to do everything if you take your time. It took me a day to tear down my car and about a day to put it back together. It took about 9 months in-between...

I'd do the PRC Stage 1 LS6 heads with the TSP228, do the FAST 92, and the SS3600. If you do it yourself, you can get the heads in there.

And the XE-R makes power and is controllable. So it works.

The other option is to go with someone like Tony Mamo or Martin @ Tick and have them spec the cam and heads together and the cost is not much different. In fact, I believe Martin uses some of the PRC or TSP heads and can help you out with the right springs for the cam and the heads (as the PRC Stage 1s don't include valve springs).
Old 02-05-2015, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I don't see dropping the trans as being a fun job. I have dropped a few manual transmissions on mustangs, but this is the first auto trans car I've owned. I know the auto's are heavier than manuals, so that doesn't help. I still might try to do it myself, especially if I just spend the money on other parts..

I have seen a lot of people mention the PRC Stage 1 or 2.5 LS6 heads, but I don't see them on TSP's website... do they still make them? Or am I missing something?
Old 02-05-2015, 08:51 AM
Super Hulk Smash

I guess they did away with it. If you can get some 243s, it's only $750 if you send them in. But since you're going for a relatively mild cam, you can do the Stage 2.5 5.3L heads which have a higher compression and flow pretty close.

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-4345-pr...-outright.aspx

It's 1224 without valvesprings.

I'd actually do that and then grab this package from Vengeance with the VRX4 (228/230 camshaft - very similar to the 228R):

http://vengeanceracing.net/vengeance...-kit-plus.html

I like that package because it comes with everything except the head gaskets. Grab a pair of MLS gaskets and you'd have a nice budget build. It has the Comp Trunion kit, Melling oil pump, new timing chain, pushrods, valvesprings, etc. It's $1270.

So $2500 out the door for everything you'd need + fluids and the torque converter. It would be good for about 420rwhp. I'd wait on the FAST and either pick one up used or swap it on later since it's more expensive than the heads and offers less power.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Do not buy a Fast intake before heads.

Unless you have a dead lifter, do not put stock 799/243 on the car if you are on a budget, just get ported heads later on. IMO the gains are often inflated. I would reasonably expect ~15rwhp through an auto. That's a LOT of extra cost and work for 15hp just to need to send them off later and repeat those same costs (head gaskets, head bolts, and a lot of labor being the big ones).
Old 02-05-2015, 09:24 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are going to leave anything out in that list then don't buy the Fast combo for now. That is something that can be easily added down the line and it's not a labor intensive project. You will gain a lot more by going with any of the other modifications on their own. Good choice going with the 2.5 5.3l heads on a budget. They will compliment that cam nicely and you will enjoy the bump in compression.

Lonnie
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 02-05-2015, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
I guess they did away with it. If you can get some 243s, it's only $750 if you send them in. But since you're going for a relatively mild cam, you can do the Stage 2.5 5.3L heads which have a higher compression and flow pretty close.

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-4345-pr...-outright.aspx

It's 1224 without valvesprings.

I'd actually do that and then grab this package from Vengeance with the VRX4 (228/230 camshaft - very similar to the 228R):

http://vengeanceracing.net/vengeance...-kit-plus.html

I like that package because it comes with everything except the head gaskets. Grab a pair of MLS gaskets and you'd have a nice budget build. It has the Comp Trunion kit, Melling oil pump, new timing chain, pushrods, valvesprings, etc. It's $1270.

So $2500 out the door for everything you'd need + fluids and the torque converter. It would be good for about 420rwhp. I'd wait on the FAST and either pick one up used or swap it on later since it's more expensive than the heads and offers less power.
Thanks for the information. I will definitely check out Vengeance Racing. Out of curioustiy, why do you like this setup over the 228R? It seems like I could but everything in that kit at TSP for about the same price?
Old 02-05-2015, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sales3@Texas-Speed
If you are going to leave anything out in that list then don't buy the Fast combo for now. That is something that can be easily added down the line and it's not a labor intensive project. You will gain a lot more by going with any of the other modifications on their own. Good choice going with the 2.5 5.3l heads on a budget. They will compliment that cam nicely and you will enjoy the bump in compression.

Lonnie

Alright, so if I went with the 228R/5.3 head combo and ran my stock LS1 intake manifold, what injectors would I use? I'm betting my stock ones wont do..?

And if I do get new injectors now, will the work in the FAST 92 later on?

Thanks for all the support everyone. I greatly appreciate your input!
Old 02-05-2015, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

i would just use the stock heads and get yourself a slightly bigger cam than a 228. something like a 231/235 with the lsl lobes i think they are,.62x lift on a 113 with 3-5* advance and should be around 400 rw or so. i had a 228 cam with a m6 and was only around 380-385 rw with a pretty good tune. had lts,ory,hooker catback and lid.
400+ with an auto and that cam it would have to be a very,very happy dyno.a used fast 90/92 setup would help tremendously if your intake is an ls1 instead of an ls6.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright, after sleeping on it, I'm going to the 228R/5.3 Stg 2 combo and sticking with the LS1 intake for now. I might be able to spend a little more and getting something that makes more power, but honestly if I break 400whp I will be happy. It's just a street car that I drive on nice sunny days.

I'd like to reask my question from above - -what about injectors?
Old 02-06-2015, 11:18 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 5_litre_eater
Alright, after sleeping on it, I'm going to the 228R/5.3 Stg 2 combo and sticking with the LS1 intake for now. I might be able to spend a little more and getting something that makes more power, but honestly if I break 400whp I will be happy. It's just a street car that I drive on nice sunny days.

I'd like to reask my question from above - -what about injectors?
You will need at least 36lb injectors. If you think you may ever do a stroker or larger motor down the line I would go straight to the 42lb injectors. Price is about the same. The injectors will still work with a FAST 92. If you plan to go to the FAST 102 then don't go with Racetronix brand as the injector body is too thick to fit without modification. Feel free to give me a call and we can go through your options and pricing.

Lonnie
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 02-06-2015, 11:32 AM
Super Hulk Smash

The Vengeance kit I like because it's one stop shopping - but you're right, you can buy everything separately. It just makes it easier for me to find and post one link

The FAST 92 I'd recommend. The FAST 102 is a better intake, but if you're not going directly to it, it doesn't really make a lot of sense to buy things now and then buy more things later for it all to work (like the fuel rail adaptor kit). The FAST 92 fits the car better and can reuse your stock rails and whatever injectors you go with out of the box. Also, it would be easier to find it used and that's the way to go with the FAST to save some cash. They are really overpriced for what they are. Try to get a deal if you're on a budget.

The FAST 36s are a good choice.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:37 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

FYI, we do sell everything that you would need. It may not be in one specific package online but a simple call or e-mail and we can assemble one for you no problem.

Lonnie
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 02-06-2015, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

IMO, another good intake option is the BBK SSI. Yeah the FAST 92 is better, but it cost almost $300 more than the BBK, Furthermore it still makes a little better power than a LS6 even with the stock TB, and only cost $450-$490 new.
http://www.coloradospeed.com/bbk-ssi...6-p-30502.html

Quick Reply: Going with a TSP 228R Cam, and not sure what else..