Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

383 stroker?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 383 stroker?

Just curious: is it possible to go with a stroker kit with stock heads? Or do you need to use new heads?

What gains can be had, If you keep the stock top end?
Old 02-23-2015, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There is more power to be had in the heads and cam than in a stroker shorblock and heads and cam costs less.

If you need to repair the shortblock and don't have money to do the heads and cam then you have to do what you have to do, but if you are doing it in a misguided attempt to add power then forget it.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
There is more power to be had in the heads and cam than in a stroker shorblock and heads and cam costs less.

If you need to repair the shortblock and don't have money to do the heads and cam then you have to do what you have to do, but if you are doing it in a misguided attempt to add power then forget it.
Alright... Wasn't sure. Nothing wrong with the block: but wasn't sure if the stroker had been done first.

I planned on heads/cam first: but got to thinking maybe it'd be better to go stroker now, then upgrade heads/cam down the road. Sounds like I'm thinking backwards (didn't want to buy heads twice)
Old 02-23-2015, 07:30 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by wayland1985
Alright... Wasn't sure. Nothing wrong with the block: but wasn't sure if the stroker had been done first.

I planned on heads/cam first: but got to thinking maybe it'd be better to go stroker now, then upgrade heads/cam down the road. Sounds like I'm thinking backwards (didn't want to buy heads twice)
It would work fine actually. More displacement doesn't really add peak power, but it does increase peak torque and average power which is what really matters anyways.

Think of it this way; the shortblock dictates mostly how much torque you can make (displacement, compression, friction, etc). It's up to the induction system (heads, manifold, throttle, etc) and cam to translate that torque into horsepower through RPM.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KCS
It would work fine actually. More displacement doesn't really add peak power, but it does increase peak torque and average power which is what really matters anyways.

Think of it this way; the shortblock dictates mostly how much torque you can make (displacement, compression, friction, etc). It's up to the induction system (heads, manifold, throttle, etc) and cam to translate that torque into horsepower through RPM.
Hmmm. Now we have two separate opinions!

What kind of torque gains would one see? And what cost would a kit be installed?

It would seem crazy to pull the engine, do all the work and then put the stock heads back: but I definitely can't afford both (I'm looking for TFS heads).

Plus; while the block is apart, I could have the oil pump and timing chain replaced, which would make a head/cam swap way easier down the road!
Old 02-23-2015, 07:56 PM
KCS

Hmmm. Now we have two separate opinions!

What kind of torque gains would one see? And what cost would a kit be installed?

It would seem crazy to pull the engine, do all the work and then put the stock heads back: but I definitely can't afford both (I'm looking for TFS heads).

Plus; while the block is apart, I could have the oil pump and timing chain replaced, which would make a head/cam swap way easier down the road!
Well it depends, but Tony Mamo did the same thing years back. He made X amount of power with his AFR headed 347 and then he stroked it to 383ci. It gained maybe 5hp tops but it peaked at a lower RPM and also gained like 50ft-lbs. With the larger displacement, he was able to use larger heads and cam which bumped the peak RPM up where it was with the 347, but now it was in the neighborhood of 50whp higher with the 383.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:28 PM
11 Second Club

and what does an assembled 383 shortblock cost compared to heads and cam?
A Thompson Motorsports 383 shortbblock is $3850.
An Advanced Induction heads/cam kit is $1800.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

and what does an assembled 383 shortblock cost compared to heads and cam?
A Thompson Motorsports 383 shortbblock is $3850.
An Advanced Induction heads/cam kit is $1800.
I was looking at trick flow 215s: So $2400 for the heads, $75 for milling and $500 for roller rockers....

Then $300 for a cam, and we're about equal before you get into the accessories needed for install
Old 02-23-2015, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

and according to the guy trying to talk you into the 383 you get 50tq 5hp where for the heads and cam you will gain more like 100hp............
Old 02-23-2015, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

I guess it really comes down to:

1: what is the real cost of stroker vs h/c
2: are there heads better suited to a stroker ls1 motor?
3: if I do go h/c first, should I still get them milled, or would I want to keep them as is, assuming stroker is in the future?
Old 02-24-2015, 03:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

IMO have one of the vendors on here spec you a good HCI for that 383.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:59 AM
KCS

and according to the guy trying to talk you into the 383 you get 50tq 5hp where for the heads and cam you will gain more like 100hp............
You're mistaken. I'm not talking anyone into anything. He asked a question and I provided an answer.

I guess it really comes down to:

1: what is the real cost of stroker vs h/c
2: are there heads better suited to a stroker ls1 motor?
3: if I do go h/c first, should I still get them milled, or would I want to keep them as is, assuming stroker is in the future?
1. It depends. Lots of variables.
2. Yes, definitely.
3. Again, it depends. The stroker will increase the compression ratio, so if you mill your current heads, you may want to use a little foresight and make sure there is a stroker piston available to keep your compression from getting too high.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

I ended up contacting Texas speed, who was very helpful. It seems as though a stroker isn't the way to go right now. I was playing around with their online tool and by the time I got the kit I wanted I was deep into my budget.... Not including gaskets etc.

They recommended at the very least I get a new cam (due to RPM limitations with stock top end and stroker kits).

So, it looks like I'm sticking with my heads/cam swap for now. Maybe down the road I'll go stroker, but honestly after browsing more of their website, and seeing their LS2 block prices I'm thinking maybe I'll live my dream and build my own motor from the block up (granted, my mechanical portfolio stops at brake jobs and radiator flushing...)
Old 02-24-2015, 11:40 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Heads/cam is a better deal to go faster on a budget. Actually heads/cam+nitrous will beat a stroker motor and hurt the feelings of a lot of cars on the road.

A stroker kit needs new heads/cam as well, so it's the cost of the heads/cam+the new shortblock. And it needs a different heads/cam package in all honesty. So really, you need to think about your budget: do you want to go with a bigger motor now or would you rather do it later and have to sell off your heads/cam package to buy one optimized for the larger motor?

It's more economical to buy a new longblock now (if your budget allows) - and not a 383. Something like a 416 would be better using a 4" stroke crank and LS3 block. Then you can add some TFS 235 heads or similar (I'd do the TFS 237s from Frankenstein Racing) and then spec a cam for it (which would be very different than what you'd do on a 346). Power would be a lot more... we're talking 550-575+rwhp and 500+rwtq. Heads/cam is 450/420 typically with all the supporting mods. And the supporting mods cost as well. FAST intake, headers, exhaust, underdrive pulley, oil pump, timing chain, trunion upgrade, pushrods, gaskets, fluids, etc. Then there's the upgrades to the rearend, trans, clutch... etc.

You're better served putting money into the drivetrain vs a stroker. Heads/cam package will ruin your rearend and stock clutch if you try to launch with over 400rwhp and the stock garbage. It's exacerbated with a stroker motor. You need an even more robust drivetrain to handle additional torque and power.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

stroker and budget don't mix.

do heads and cam, and enjoy going fast.

Quick Reply: 383 stroker?