Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a Tired LS1 -- Need Some Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 06:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking at a Tired LS1 -- Need Some Opinions

I'm about to hit 200K on a 2000 Z/28 Automatic. I like the car and would like to restore it, but I don't want to pay more than a new one would cost.

The engine is still running okay, but needs something (probably a lot of somethings). But, the engine is my first priority.

Since I'm stuck in California, I can't do much to it, but I'm pretty happy with stock. Is it better to find a wrecking yard/second-hand engine, buy a new/remanufactured engine, or tackle a rebuild myself, replacing all rotating assemblies and most other internals? When I rebuild, I get cylinders matched to the pistons, cam align-bored, forged pistons, new rods, etc. Years ago, it was better to do rebuilds, but machine shops are rare as hen's teeth now.

If someone has done this job recently (especially, in CA) I would like a thumbnail guess on cost.

I hope this isn't too tedious. Thanks, in advance!

jeff
Old 07-16-2015, 08:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jeff,
If your happy with the stock configuration and power, I would stay with the stock piston, rods,etc. I would open the engine up and check for damage to any of the above mentioned parts. If no damage is evendent. I would just look at replacing bearings, rings, and hardware like lifters and pushrods. No sence it spending extra on forged internals if don't have to. Just my .02
Ken
Old 07-16-2015, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Thanks, Ken. I usually don't re-use pistions, but I guess cast would be good enough. I get into enough trouble with it as it is. :-) It's tempting, though, to pick up one from a wrecking yard, but I would wonder how it was treated. I have yet to find a rebuilt one that was anything close to reliable. Just lots of unknowns. I heard that the newer blocks fixed the way the PCV Valve works (that insane plumbing nightmare on mine is supposedly gone on the newer LS1s, but I don't know that personally).

Thanks for the input.
jeff
Old 07-16-2015, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ICRAZY6
Jeff,
If your happy with the stock configuration and power, I would stay with the stock piston, rods,etc. I would open the engine up and check for damage to any of the above mentioned parts. If no damage is evendent. I would just look at replacing bearings, rings, and hardware like lifters and pushrods. No sence it spending extra on forged internals if don't have to. Just my .02
Ken

Good Idea Ken.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You could put the LS6 valley cover on and get the LS6 PCV. It helped on my 02 Trans Am.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

Just got my 5.3 back from a complete rebuild, bored .30, crank cut .10
only reused block, crank, rods and push rods. cost $3500.00 on a stock
rebuild.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nofun
Just got my 5.3 back from a complete rebuild, bored .30, crank cut .10
only reused block, crank, rods and push rods. cost $3500.00 on a stock
rebuild.
Holy **** Batman. You could have bought a new motor for less than that.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

LS1MCSS were can I buy a new long block for less then $3500.00??
I have a new project starting soon and would love to have it waiting.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nofun
LS1MCSS were can I buy a new long block for less then $3500.00??
I have a new project starting soon and would love to have it waiting.
You can buy one all day that cheap at Thompson Motorsports and others... With you reusing all that stuff that's a ton of money. So it cost $3500 for pistons, cylinder bore, & turning the crank? Not being mean or anything just wondering why it was so high even buying a cam, lifters, spring, gaskets, oil pump and more it shouldn't be that high

As far as the OP...... Good stock rebuild and you should be good to go for years!
Old 07-21-2015, 02:55 AM

I would just look at replacing bearings, rings, and hardware like lifters and pushrods.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:01 AM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Jeff,
Give us a call, We have options to rebuild your existing motor or build all new. Our builds go from performance stock replacement to full race and everywhere in between.
Thank you for the recommendation MMorgan9812, We appreciate our name being put in the mix when people are in need. It gives us the opportunity to help more of those in need of an excellent product.

Quick Reply: Looking at a Tired LS1 -- Need Some Opinions