Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Assembly lube and break in oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Assembly lube and break in oil

What's a good assembly lube to use on the bottom end while assembling a new LS1? I've seen people just use motor oil on the main and rods, seems like they would require a little more protection at start up and break in... Thoughts?

And what type of oil do you guys recommend for initial break in? I've heard people using Rotella diesel oil but didn't know if this was standard practice or not. I will be switching to Mobil 1 synthetic after 5,000 miles, but not before.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used Brad Penn break-in oil and I don't remember the assembly lube name but got it at the auto store. It was much more sticky and viscous than regular oils.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:43 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

I use oil on the bearings, Clevite Bearing Guard on the wrist pins, valve stems and oil pump gears, and CMD on the valve and pushrod tips. There isn't much load on an engine when you first fire it up so assembly lube isn't really necessary unless it may sit for a long time. I don't like assembly lube on the bearings because it doesn't let the crank spin as freely so it can hide something dragging that I could feel if oil was used.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

I just bought these

https://www.texas-speed.com/p-2215-r...-lube-4oz.aspx
https://www.texas-speed.com/p-3949-j...ak-in-oil.aspx
Old 09-26-2015, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Go to autozone and get the Lucas assembly lube

Oil I would use joe Gibbs br30 break in oil.. Expensive but good stuff and it's actually designed for engine break in vs other stuff that "will" work ok
Old 09-26-2015, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

AMSOIL makes both Assembly Lube, and Break In Oil
(30 WT Mineral High ZDDP) the only Non-Synthetic in
Their complete line. Hadn't thought about assembly lube
Hiding drag in Crank/Bearings, worth consideration if there will
Be no storage/lag time between assembly and start up I suppose.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Burken01
Go to autozone and get the Lucas assembly lube

Oil I would use joe Gibbs br30 break in oil.. Expensive but good stuff and it's actually designed for engine break in vs other stuff that "will" work ok
x2, the same two items I used on my engine. And It's still together after 13 dyno pulls over 7k
Old 09-26-2015, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1BAD98LS1
x2, the same two items I used on my engine. And It's still together after 13 dyno pulls over 7k
If I read correctly the dyno pulls were with the BR30?

Previously used Johnson assembly lube by sealed power, great stuff, it helped an engine live when I had trouble getting oil pressure on start up. I still had some but it was 20 years old so I didn't take a chance just in case, used Torco on the latest with BR30 currently in the oil pan.

Jason.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jase01
If I read correctly the dyno pulls were with the BR30?

Previously used Johnson assembly lube by sealed power, great stuff, it helped an engine live when I had trouble getting oil pressure on start up. I still had some but it was 20 years old so I didn't take a chance just in case, used Torco on the latest with BR30 currently in the oil pan.

Jason.
That's correct, if I remember correctly I think Joe Gibbs site said to change it after 400mi but I changed it after idle, warm up cycle, tuning, dyno pulls etc.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

I used Redline Assembly Lube on valve stems, rocker tips, pushrods, lifter rollers and on the cam lobes, cam journals I used the Clevite bearing guard etc. Clevite bearing guard on the bearings, VR1 10w30 for breakin and the life of the motor.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:50 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I also like Redline assembly lube.

For break-in oil, I use Penzoil non synthetic. No need for high zinc oil, these engines don't have flat tappet lifters-the ONLY reason to use a high zinc.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:04 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
I use oil on the bearings, Clevite Bearing Guard on the wrist pins, valve stems and oil pump gears, and CMD on the valve and pushrod tips. There isn't much load on an engine when you first fire it up so assembly lube isn't really necessary unless it may sit for a long time. I don't like assembly lube on the bearings because it doesn't let the crank spin as freely so it can hide something dragging that I could feel if oil was used.
So you would start a new engine bone dry inside. It takes a few seconds for oil pressure....so that would many many revolutions metal-to-metal friction.

No...?

Old 09-27-2015, 09:11 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

FWIW, the factory (GM, Ford, everybody) simply use a squirt of oil on any bearing surface. You can see this in the many "How It's Made" videos of engines being manufactured.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:36 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
So you would start a new engine bone dry inside. It takes a few seconds for oil pressure....so that would many many revolutions metal-to-metal friction.

No...?

Not bone dry. Like I said, I use oil on the bearings. I actually just assembled my LS2 last night.

Name:  577C749A-AFA5-46DD-BAB8-6A9E45C03670_zps1tdggjnn.jpg
Views: 3675
Size:  139.8 KB

Last edited by KCS; 09-27-2015 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If residual motor oil is fine for the thousands of starts the engine will see over it's life why is it some of you think it insufficient or consider that "dry" for initial startup?

Could it be you are so beaten down by a life exposed to MARKETING that you have lost all ability to REASON for yourself and instead must be TOLD what to BUY at every turn in life?

If one wants to use a dino oil for break in because synthetics are "too slippery" I can see that, or if one wants to use something thicker because they expect a long interval between assembly and startup and want a little more cling fine but the belief oil is insufficient and harmful on first start shows an inability to reason.

Back to the long interval between assembly and break in, how many of you leave the car sit for at least a few weeks at a time in winter? You better tear it down and get some assembly lube on that stuff or I am sure it will scatter moments after startup, right?

Now just thinking aloud, I wonder if some of the "break in oils" are low burn point so it burns off the bore letting the rings mate? Synthetics tend to be high burn point and as such wouldn't be cleaned off the cylinder for the rings to mate????? Maybe this is part of the "no synthetics during break in".

I find the topic interesting but as with so many other things the folks that tend to obsess on it can't see reality and experience past their theories.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
If residual motor oil is fine for the thousands of starts the engine will see over it's life why is it some of you think it insufficient or consider that "dry" for initial startup?

Could it be you are so beaten down by a life exposed to MARKETING that you have lost all ability to REASON for yourself and instead must be TOLD what to BUY at every turn in life?

If one wants to use a dino oil for break in because synthetics are "too slippery" I can see that, or if one wants to use something thicker because they expect a long interval between assembly and startup and want a little more cling fine but the belief oil is insufficient and harmful on first start shows an inability to reason.

Back to the long interval between assembly and break in, how many of you leave the car sit for at least a few weeks at a time in winter? You better tear it down and get some assembly lube on that stuff or I am sure it will scatter moments after startup, right?

Now just thinking aloud, I wonder if some of the "break in oils" are low burn point so it burns off the bore letting the rings mate? Synthetics tend to be high burn point and as such wouldn't be cleaned off the cylinder for the rings to mate????? Maybe this is part of the "no synthetics during break in".

I find the topic interesting but as with so many other things the folks that tend to obsess on it can't see reality and experience past their theories.
True but when it sits regularly it gets oil pressure right away. I pulled the plugs, etc when cranking it to get oil but other than pouring some oil in the oil pressure sensor oil the system was "dry".
Old 09-27-2015, 02:09 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I'm of the OPINION that a non synthetic oil should be used on first virgin start up to help the rings seat sooner. Yes, synthetic oil will still allow the rings to seat but it'll take more time.

NO, I do not have scientific proof or documentation of this but this has been the common way to do a first start up for many years now. I'll continue the tradition.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was gonna say the same thing but a little nicer, lol. I think all thats needed is a 5 gallon home made oil primer/luber and your good to go. If you dont have that, whip some oil and grease together t make a nice paste and you should be good to go.

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr

Old 09-29-2015, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Don't all Vettes come w/ initial fill of syn?
As for dry starts...That's what a pressure pot is for. As mentioned, some regular oil on assy. Hit it w/ the pressure pot, start it.
As for break in..We run them on the dyno for 20-30 min, 10% load, a few revs, shut down.
Cut the filter, check for leaks, and it's hammer time. No bs 5000 mi breakin periods.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old geezer!?!?!? Wow guy, good to see you!

I will add 2 things to a break in though. One is, take a look at the Hastings ring site. They have some good info on breaking in rings. In this case it is called seating them, doesn't take long and none of my backyard builds have had issues. With that said, Hastings DOES recommend a quick break in procedure to seat rings. Lastly, and, for sht n giggles, I would carefully heat cycle the engine 3 or 4 times by bringing it up to temps and letting it cool off. This should stabilize the metallurgy of the engine. Metal being metal, its hard enough nothing will happen to it even if you started it up for the first time, warmed it up and ran it down the 1/4 mile, but, its nice to do if your a nice guy .

Quick Reply: Assembly lube and break in oil